Tuition costs of school districts

ladiesbballcoach

Brought up in another thread about tuition costs and I thought it would be informational to know what it costs in tuition for each school for a student to attend there. Tuition for out of district students would be what I am asking for in regards to public schools.

We will start with Highlands.

ADA is around $4250...at least it was last year...

A private school supporter in another thread indicated that financial assistance at private schools, they believed, are limited to 50% of tuition costs, max and most are in the 25% range. If that is accurate or inaccurate with the school you are posting about, please comment.

Of course with publics, no financial assistance for out-of-district students exist, IF there is no reciprocating agreement in place with the district they are leaving.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brought up in another thread about tuition costs and I thought it would be informational to know what it costs in tuition for each school for a student to attend there. Tuition for out of district students would be what I am asking for in regards to public schools.

A private school supporter in another thread indicated that financial assistance at private schools, they believed, are limited to 50% of tuition costs, max and most are in the 25% range. If that is accurate or inaccurate with the school you are posting about, please comment.

Of course with publics, no financial assistance for out-of-district students exist, IF there is no reciprocating agreement in place with the district they are leaving.

Bylaw 7, Sec 2, paragraph iv of KHSAA rules limits merit aid.

http://www.khsaa.org/forms/ge04.pdf

25% is maximum for KHSAA atheletes for merit aid - i.e. academic award.

I'm pretty sure the ADA is state mandated. So, if you live in Newport and they don't have a reciprocal agreement with Ft. Thomas, Dayton or Bellevue. You'd pay the same ADA to attend any of those schools...

Bylaw 7, Sec 3 requires school to provide detailed reports on financial aid to KHSAA. If there were any fire under all this smoke it should be easy to find since KHSAA also must follow open records policies as a public entity - see below.

http://ag.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/DFDE9E55-400D-4EE4-8397-9F4A9CD396E6/0/AttorneyGeneralsaysKHSAAsubjecttoopenrecordslaw.htm

Bylaw 7, Sec 2, paragraph iv of KHSAA rules.

25% is maximum for KHSAA atheletes.

Learned something new today and I would bet money that more than 25% of the BGP readers did not know this either.

Follow up, does the private schools have to provide reports on the amount of financial aid that they provide each student?

Nevermind, see the answer in the following posts.

Learned something new today and I would bet money that more than 25% of the BGP readers did not know this either.

Follow up, does the private schools have to provide reports on the amount of financial aid that they provide each student?

25% is for Merit Aid (academic award) which is different than Need-based aid I believe. (See the same section)

Need based aid is determined by a third party "clearinghouse" and no information other than income data is known. Also it depends on how large the "pool" of money is. If Private school A has 40 families apply and there is only $5000 in the pool nobody is getting very much.

25% is for Merit Aid (academic award) which is different than Need-based aid I believe. (See the same section)

Need based aid is determined by a third party "clearinghouse" and no information other than income data is known. Also it depends on how large the "pool" of money is. If Private school A has 40 families apply and there is only $5000 in the pool nobody is getting very much.

So, let me make sure I am clear.

Per KHSAA rules only 25% on merit based is allowed.

But the other 75%, theoretically, could be need-based and paid for?

Bylaw 7, Sec 2, paragraph iv of KHSAA rules limits merit aid.

25% is maximum for KHSAA atheletes for merit aid - i.e. academic award.

What does this mean?

v) Receives merit aid from a member school that has already

given merit aid to the greater of five (5) percent of its student

body or five students;

I did have to edit the original post. 25% is the limit on merit-based assistance. Current KHSAA bylaws do not limit needs-based assistance.

However the following article from the CJ has quotes on this subject.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051016/SPORTS/510160469/0/SPORTS05

"No family is getting more than 50 percent tuition assistance," Mullen said.

Whatever the award, Speer said, it's not in cash. It's either a voucher or a credit toward tuition.

She said some people believe "that we are buying athletes … that we are going out there and saying, 'Here are dollars. Come to our schools.' That is what just really surprises me the most -- that people believe that."

So, let me make sure I am clear.

Per KHSAA rules only 25% on merit based is allowed.

But the other 75%, theoretically, could be need-based and paid for?

I do not think any Catholic schools allow more than 50% need-based and as noted previously 25% is at the high end in most cases. Don't know about Christian schools.

Here's a tidbit for you LBBC:

Some Catholic schools offer discounts for the second and third kids from the same family if all are currently attending the school. Some even let the fourth child attend for FREE.:D Well since you would most likely be paying over $15,000 I guess it is sort of free.:cry:

I do not think any Catholic schools allow more than 50% need-based and as noted previously 25% is at the high end in most cases. Don't know about Christian schools.

Some Catholic schools offer discounts for the second and third kids from the same family if all are currently attending the school. Some even let the fourth child attend for FREE.:D Well since you would most likely be paying over $15,000 I guess it is sort of free.:cry:

If you have 3 at CCH, you're paying $18k to $19k.

Lexington Catholic gives you a whole $50 a year discount for the second student... so it does vary...

Over a 12 year period from 1994 through 2006 I figure I paid NCC between 45 and 50k in tuition . We never had more than one student there at a time , when one graduated the next was a freshman . Because of this we had to forego a lot of vacations and new cars were not a consideration . I for the life of me don't know how anyone can consider tuition payments as an advantage that Private schools have . Even if you are part of a tuition assistance program you still have to pay the lions share of the tuition bill and then there books and fees . Actually for a while NKU was cheaper than NCC and it probably still is cheaper than a majority of Northern Kentucky parochial secondary schools .