Tuition costs of school districts

ladiesbballcoach

Over a 12 year period from 1994 through 2006 I figure I paid NCC between 45 and 50k in tuition . We never had more than one student there at a time , when one graduated the next was a freshman . Because of this we had to forego a lot of vacations and new cars were not a consideration . I for the life of me don't know how anyone can consider tuition payments as an advantage that Private schools have . Even if you are part of a tuition assistance program you still have to pay the lions share of the tuition bill and then there books and fees . Actually for a while NKU was cheaper than NCC and it probably still is cheaper than a majority of Northern Kentucky parochial secondary schools .

With using the state KEES money awarded, NKU is about the same ($5900) or cheaper than most of the Catholic high schools in NKY.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you be against a poor kid getting their high school paid for by the school?

Never implied that. Was asking a question for clarification. I did not want to think I understood what he was saying, when in actuality I didn't.

Just trying to make sure everything is crystal clear with no room for someone to misunderstand.

That said, they have a good education provide for them free of charge, unless their parents are land owners or some other smaller means of revenue.

Never implied that. Was asking a question for clarification. I did not want to think I understood what he was saying, when in actuality I didn't.

Just trying to make sure everything is crystal clear with no room for someone to misunderstand.

That said, they have a good education provide for them free of charge, unless their parents are land owners or some other smaller means of revenue.

Never said you did.

Just asked a question, which I don't think you answered. :)

Does the KHSAA audit participating schools (public and private)? It seems that checking the fox that is watching the hen house occasionally would be prudent.

Read KHSAA Bylaw 7, Sec 3

Schools must report data to KHSAA, hence KHSAA has the data and dont need an audit to see it. In all likelyhood anyone could get the data since KHSAA is subject to open records requests. But that would take all fun out of reckless, false and presumptuous accusations.

To see if schools take this reporting seriously see item 11 of the following document from Owensboro Catholic:

http://www.owensborocatholic.org/documents/OCSTuitionAssistancePolicy.pdf

Also, see this application for aid from St. X. This is not an easy or informal process for anyone. You have to bare your financial soul when requesting aid.

http://www.saintx.com/pdf/PSAS_Student_Aid_App.pdf

Never said you did.

Just asked a question, which I don't think you answered. :)

Actually I did.

I have no problem with paying my taxes and having each child receive a good to great (depending upon the effort they and their parents put into it)education in the school district they live in at no cost to them.

It is done every day, every year, thousands of times and I have no problem in supporting it.

Would you be against a poor kid getting their high school paid for by the school?

I assume you mean at a private school. Its a challenge that Catholic schools face - serving all and keeping the doors open at the same time. I have no problem with a Catholic school allowing a child to attend despite not having the financial resources. Catholic education cannot only be for those that have. As long as the school trades tuition dollars for on-campus labor, I'm all for it. You'd be surprised how many kids at schools like CCH are in the work-study program.

Actually I did.

I have no problem with paying my taxes and having each child receive a good to great (depending upon the effort they and their parents put into it)education in the school district they live in at no cost to them.

It is done every day, every year, thousands of times and I have no problem in supporting it.

I was talking about a private school.

Would you be against a private school giving a poor child a free education?

I was talking about a private school.

Would you be against a private school giving a poor child a free education?

Absolutely, not.

BUT then don't claim that private schools are on the same level playing field when a public school CANNOT provide an out-of-district poor child with a free education.

Absolutely, not.

BUT then don't claim that private schools are on the same level playing field when a public school CANNOT provide an out-of-district poor child with a free education.

Please clarify.

You said absolutely not (that you wouldn't be opposed to a private school giving free tuition to a poor student), however, the tagged on comment makes it sound like you would resent such an arrangment.

Absolutely, not.

Why can't a school district raise money for tuition aid for out of district students? This is an honest question. Is there a rule against it?

Absolutely, not.

Why not.

A private school could CHOOSE to let anyone they want attend tuition free and a public schools could do the same with an out of district student. They CHOOSE not to because from a business standpoint it would be stupid.

Why not.

A private school could CHOOSE to let anyone they want attend tuition free and a public schools could do the same with an out of district student. They CHOOSE not to because from a business standpoint it would be stupid.

No, you are wrong about this and we have been through this before. With rare exception (involving court action or Cabinet placement), a public school is limited to its district. You may imply that the existence or lack thereof of a reciprocity agreement creates a "choice," but is a farcical one that requires two districts to agree and does not present reality. It certainly isn't the student's "choice" as it is with a private school.

Interestingly, my tax dollars provide many public-school students (whose parents do not own real estate) a free public education. It probably hasn't been discussed because its too elitist for many to bear.

No, you are wrong about this and we have been through this before. With rare exception (involving court action or Cabinet placement), a public school is limited to its district. You may imply that the existence or lack thereof of a reciprocity agreement creates a "choice," but is a farcical one that requires two districts to agree and does not present reality. It certainly isn't the student's "choice" as it is with a private school.

Interestingly, my tax dollars provide many public-school students (whose parents do not own real estate) a free public education. It probably hasn't been discussed because its too elitist for many to bear.

The argument would be that the renters actaully do pay property taxes, which are embedded in their monthly rent stream.