Note to Bengals

stick1

GET ON THE HORN NOW FOR GRADY JACKSON! That would help them stop the run better. If they are serious about trading away a big time player then I would get in touch with the Jets as there is trouble in paradise there with Vilma. He's playing out of position anyways so why not make the call this off season.

So you don't think the lack of a pass rush, and being ranked poorly against the rush is not partly on the D line. They need to do more than occupy blockers in the NFL.

:thumb:

A strong D-line would go a long, long way toward fixing Cincy's D...look at the NYGiants. Going into the season their front four was their strength, the LB's as a whole weren't terrible but they weren't considered a stud unit and the secondary was a huge question mark. Their defense is currently playing better than most of the league...the secondary didn't just magically get good...they're benefitting from a great front four that stops the run and pressures the QB as good as any team and better than most.

Personally, I think Cincy has good enough talent in the secondary to get by with if they had a good D-line that could stop the run and rush the passer...I guarantee you that O'Neal, Joseph, Hall and the rest would look far better if they were playing behind Strahan and Umenyiora and company...

The DL should be one our biggest conerns IMO..I believe we probably have the WORST DL in the NFL. We have for years, and that is the one thing year after year that has really killed our defense IMO...

I don't see how a person could view it any other way...when Justin Smith anchors your D-line and is clearly the best player on it, then your D-line has huge problems, and that means your whole defense has huge problems. If you can't compete at the point of attack, it doesn't matter how good or bad your LB's and DB's are, your defense is going to be poor. Until Cincy gets some good defensive linemen, they can draft all the LB's and DB's they want, but the results aren't going to change.

A Ray Lewis circa 2000 would be nice.

Only if we get Siragusa and Adams from 2000 to go with him...Ray Lewis is like any other LB...when the guys up front can't occupy blockers so he can run free, he doesn't have the same impact because offensive guards are getting a body on him.

A strong D-line would go a long, long way toward fixing Cincy's D...look at the NYGiants. Going into the season their front four was their strength, the LB's as a whole weren't terrible but they weren't considered a stud unit and the secondary was a huge question mark. Their defense is currently playing better than most of the league...the secondary didn't just magically get good...they're benefitting from a great front four that stops the run and pressures the QB as good as any team and better than most.

Personally, I think Cincy has good enough talent in the secondary to get by with if they had a good D-line that could stop the run and rush the passer...I guarantee you that O'Neal, Joseph, Hall and the rest would look far better if they were playing behind Strahan and Umenyiora and company...

:thumb: That is what I been trying to say for awhile now. I mean I think we could have all pro bowlers in the secondary, and they would still get torched in the passing game, because the QB has all day to throw the ball against us. And ANY QB in the NFL will pick apart a defense if he has all the time in the world to throw the ball..I mean I dont think our secondary is as bad at all as people say. Its our defensive line that is terrible. Yeah I know this year not having any healthy linebackers is hurting as well. But even when we have had healthy linebackers during the Marvin Lewis era, our defense has still sucked. And it has one common theme, and that is our DL is terrible..

:thumb: That is what I been trying to say for awhile now. I mean I think we could have all pro bowlers in the secondary, and they would still get torched in the passing game, because the QB has all day to throw the ball against us. And ANY QB in the NFL will pick apart a defense if he has all the time in the world to throw the ball..I mean I dont think our secondary is as bad at all as people say. Its our defensive line that is terrible. Yeah I know this year not having any healthy linebackers is hurting as well. But even when we have had healthy linebackers during the Marvin Lewis era, our defense has still sucked. And it has one common theme, and that is our DL is terrible..

You're preaching to the choir man...I questioned picking Joseph instead of a lineman in the '06 draft, then when they took Leon Hall in '07, I just had to shake my head. Nothing against Leon Hall...I just knew that we were going to have the same front four, which means we could have Champ Bailey, McAlister, Ed Reed and Polamalu in the secondary and they would struggle. Although, I bet those four would have career highs in tackles playing in Cincy...:lol:

According to Lapham's radio call they were missing assignments in the secondary, left and right. He really called Joseph out for a couple horrible reads or missed assignments that led to the big plays by the Jets.