9th region Frosh forecast

Saw this in the boys thread and thought we could discuss the girls. Highlands again will be tough ( 26-4 last year). The LadyBirds frosh actually have four girls returning from last years squad, and under the tutilidge of Jumpin Joe Finnegan should have another successful year. How about the other teams? How they looking this year?

Happens every year UNC...she brought up 3-4 last year...4 the year before that (which seemed to work out okay)...

It's no secret that Boone lost 9-10 players off of last years V squad (grad, VB, Soccer, transfers, injury)...You know as well as anyone that Boone will struggle this season...breaks your heart...huh?

Let's talk about the freshmen team...you can add this to the BC thread.

How are the numbers for girl's sports? Are frosh teams laden with 6-7-8 to make up for 9 being pulled to JV-V? or do the JV-V teams pull younger even higher? How do most rosters fill out? AND is it fair for teams to play young-uns against older gals? I understand where a 1A team would have to stretch...but I hear of 4-5-6A teams also playing the younger gals quite alot. Is it a #'s crunch across the board?

How are the numbers for girl's sports? Are frosh teams laden with 6-7-8 to make up for 9 being pulled to JV-V? or do the JV-V teams pull younger even higher? How do most rosters fill out? AND is it fair for teams to play young-uns against older gals? I understand where a 1A team would have to stretch...but I hear of 4-5-6A teams also playing the younger gals quite alot. Is it a #'s crunch across the board?

I'd say each program has its own philosophy when it comes to moving players up. Some decisions may be made by numbers. We have seen many younger girls that are able to compete with older girls. The LadyBirds will have 2 7th graders and 1 8th grader on their frosh team this year. The undercassmen didn't seem to hurt them last year, and I expect the same this year.

St. Henry has a strong freshman class, with all 5 starters from IHM's 8th grade class that finished 36-1 overall, NDA League champions, NKMSBL Champs, and Diocesan Champs. After last years disappointment, they could certainly use some help from the underclassman. These girls may not have an immediate impact, but should help to rebuild the program in future years.

It isn't a numbers crunch at most places. It is a weeding, taking only the creme of the crop that have been playing AAU for 6 or 7 years and putting them on the fast track.

You can argue that either way.

If a girl is talented enough to be JV or Varsity in the 7th or 8th grade why not let her play at that level?

Then again that discourages or flat out displaces Sophs or Juniors that might not be the best players in the world but would contribute.

St. Henry has a strong freshman class, with all 5 starters from IHM's 8th grade class that finished 36-1 overall, NDA League champions, NKMSBL Champs, and Diocesan Champs. After last years disappointment, they could certainly use some help from the underclassman. These girls may not have an immediate impact, but should help to rebuild the program in future years.

Nice for St Henry. I thought NDA usually drew from IHM.

Coach Finney will have his LadyBirds ready again this year and will be there in the end. Should be a fun year. This year team could be interesting depending on how many of the true Frosh actually play Frosh level. I do know that a couple of middleschoolers will have to step it up big time this year. Go Birds!!!!!!