Mercer 34 Boyle 17

read any BC thread on this board ... they all feel entitled to their ranking due to their schedule ... while the fact that they just are not that good escapes them.

I love your "has nothing to do with this year" comment after you brought up past championships. Past championships has nothing to do with the fact that Boyle County is 7-12 since Bullitt East knocked them out of the 2005 playoffs.

They just do not have the talent. Coach Perdue is a good coach and will turn around the team, but let's not overrank a team who just isn't very good because of 1) their schedule and 2) their past success.

:sleep::sleep::sleep:

Could someone please talk about stats from THIS game and not generalizations about each team's fans? Who scored the TD's? Who was Boyle's QB tonight? Was Mercer just the better team or what?

Let's talk football, not fans.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Painting with the broad brush of generalization aren't you? Many fans have used the schedule as an excuse but not all. I've acknowledged that Boyle has played a difficult schedule but I've never said they were any better than their record. BTW, I'm a Boyle fan.

It's disappointing to see the Rebels fall this far but I was told from the first of this season that size was something this Boyle team lacked (not to mention speed). So to hear the full wishbone doing damage, I'm not surprised. I hope and have the goal for Boyle to compete for the title every year but I'm realistic when the production on the field doesn't match expectations.

You are a good fan. There is nothing wrong with being a fan of your team. Some fans, however, suggested that because BC beat 0-5 East Jess. last week that they would get on a roll and win the state title, completely ignoring the fact that they lost to Lex. Cath. on their home field and would have to go to Lexington for the playoffs.

Could someone please talk about stats from THIS game and not generalizations about each team's fans? Who scored the TD's? Who was Boyle's QB tonight? Was Mercer just the better team or what?

Let's talk football, not fans.

Mercer won .. they were the better team.

read any BC thread on this board ... they all feel entitled to their ranking due to their schedule ... while the fact that they just are not that good escapes them.

I love your "has nothing to do with this year" comment after you brought up past championships. Past championships has nothing to do with the fact that Boyle County is 7-12 since Bullitt East knocked them out of the 2005 playoffs.

They just do not have the talent. Coach Perdue is a good coach and will turn around the team, but let's not overrank a team who just isn't very good because of 1) their schedule and 2) their past success.

Good thing Mercer and Boyle played tonight...One Less Dead horse to beat on...

Painting with the broad brush of generalization aren't you? Many fans have used the schedule as an excuse but not all. I've acknowledged that Boyle has played a difficult schedule but I've never said they were any better than their record. BTW, I'm a Boyle fan.

It's disappointing to see the Rebels fall this far but I was told from the first of this season that size was something this Boyle team lacked (not to mention speed). So to hear the full wishbone doing damage, I'm not surprised. I hope and have the goal for Boyle to compete for the title every year but I'm realistic when the production on the field doesn't match expectations.

I think Coach Smith picked the right time to leave! He saw what was coming!:flame:

The better team won tonight. I wish Jacob Smith could have finished the game at QB, but in all reality, I don't think it would have made too much difference in the outcome since the defense could not stop Mercer at all in the 2nd half. Boyle's lack of playmakers will continue to haunt them this season and beyond if someone doesn't step up. I was impressed by Reese McShara, but the lack of playmakers on offense is a glaring defect for Boyle County football and will continue to be until one is found. Hats off to Mercer who hopefully will get their few unloyal fans off of the teams back with this much needed victory. I sat on the Mercer County side with good friends from work in my Boyle County sweatshirt and I must say that all of the Mercer County fans were extremely nice(except for one, but he's just one of my obnoxious friends who I ignore all of the time anyway) to me and my family. Great game in which I have ties to both teams and hated to see anyone lose. I wish nothing but continued success to Mercer County, and I will continue to hope wish and pray that Boyle County can somehow turn things around.

For the record, I never thought Boyle deserved to be ranked after I saw the Danville game, but to not acknowledge how tough their schedule is would be irresponsible. This year's version of Boyle County team is the 4th best team in the area and things can only go up from here, right? Keep your heads up Rebels.

I'm feeling very sleepy.

Boyle was very balanced in both halves. 100 yds or so passing in each half. Around 100 yards rushing for the game. Both of their TD's were pass plays.

Mercer had less than 20 yds. rushing in the 1st half, but made adjustments and exploded in the 2nd for over 170 and ended up with close to 200. Around 70 or 80 yds passing.

Pretty even game statistically. Mercer had 0 turnovers while Boyle threw 3 Int's. Defense was the difference in these two teams. Mercer as usual played physical and made the plays it needed to on defense. When Mercer's offense plays to it's strengths and holds on to the ball.....they are tough to handle as a team.

Anyway, hope this is what you were looking for.

Well BC excuse all season long has been the schedule .. now not only has BC lost to a 2A team, they have lost to a 3-4 team.

Boyle lost to a 3-4, now 4-4 team that lost to Lincoln County, 12-7, ranked #5 in 5A with a now 6-1 record as time expired on Mercer on the Lincoln 5 yd line, on a 4th down incomplete pass.

Mercer's next loss was to the current #6 team in 5A, Pulaski County, 23-22, when Pulaski scored a TD and converted on a 2 point conversion with under 2:00 to go in the game.

The third loss was to one of the current topped rank Class A teams in Tennessee, 10-7, in which Mercer had 4 turnovers...one inside Mercer's own 10 on a muffed punt that led to Watertown's lone TD, and 3 others inside Watertown's 25 yard line.

The fourth was to a VERY TALENTED and SPEED dominated Hopkinsville 17-14, in which Mercer missed a 33 yard field goal as time expired....AT HOPTOWN (actually, Mercer just ran out of time...given 30 more seconds, Mercer wins..just going off the 65 yard drive in the past two minutes preceeding the field goal attempt).

My point, is, that Mercer is a little bit better than their 4-4 record shows. In saying that, SO IS BOYLE. If BOYLE plays 7 "slap jacks" from across the state, they are 7-0 now....EASILY!! Boyle is a good team, despite their record, and to be honest, it wouldnt surprise me one bit to see them make some kind of a run in the playoffs, at least through the first two rounds, if not more. I wish nothing, but the best to Coach Pardue, his staff and most importantly, his players. So many people on this site, you included, want to just judge teams off of their W-L records through the regular season....that is completely unjust, but at the sametime, a realization. Boyle is a good team. Mercer is a good team. The better team won tonite. Boyle will be back, and it might be this year. Good luck to both....and good luck to you and yours!

Now, can we please get on with the game that was played between two very fine Central Kentucky teams tonite?! Thank you!:jump:

GREAT win for the Titans! This was a huge win for them and will help get the momentum needed going in to the final stage of regular season play as well as the playoffs. Defense looked very good again tonight and the offense seemed to find the crack in Boyle's defense the 2nd half. IMO, Matthew McCloud had an incredible game on both sides of the ball. His play really stood out tonight.

On the Boyle Co. side of things. I read on here where many of you believe as I do, that Pardue can indeed turn things around at Boyle. What I don't believe is that the administration will give him the time to do that. He is a very good coach and knows what he is doing, but I don't think Boyle (administration, fans and parents) will give him the chance. It is obvious to me that they have no where near the talent they had back in the days of state championships, but that past success has altered the ability of logic and reasoning in the minds of many in Title Town.

GREAT win for the Titans! This was a huge win for them and will help get the momentum needed going in to the final stage of regular season play as well as the playoffs. Defense looked very good again tonight and the offense seemed to find the crack in Boyle's defense the 2nd half. IMO, Matthew McCloud had an incredible game on both sides of the ball. His play really stood out tonight.

On the Boyle Co. side of things. I read on here where many of you believe as I do, that Pardue can indeed turn things around at Boyle. What I don't believe is that the administration will give him the time to do that. He is a very good coach and knows what he is doing, but I don't think Boyle (administration, fans and parents) will give him the chance. It is obvious to me that they have no where near the talent they had back in the days of state championships, but that past success has altered the ability of logic and reasoning in the minds of many in Title Town.

I hear what you are saying and there is some truth to a lot of this. However, it's not like Pardue just walked in. He has been the head coach for 3 years not which means almost all of these players, plays and results are from his head coaching. His schedule has been brutal but it's not like the Rebels didn't play anybody in the previous 6 or so years and now it's tough.

The success has left us perhaps illogical at times. Yet what is illogical about wanting to get beyond the 2nd round of the playoffs? What is illogical about being 7-13 in two years?

The truth is that there has been both a lot of turmoil in recent years among players, coaches and parents. Pardue might be given the time to fix some more of that but the truth is he was at the helm when it got worse. For better or worse, that's the nature of it all. If memory serves me well Danville had back to back district champs and fantastic years in '76 and '77 but when the Ads had a bad year in '79 Steele Harmon was immediately pressured out. Because of the success Tom Duffy had few remember how successful Steele was before 2 subpar seasons.

Whatever pressure Pardue feels, it is nothing new at any successful program and we shouldn't pass that pressure off as fans run amok.

Im really tired of the lack of talent comments i keep hearing about. This junior class i have been hearing since middle school how they are/were going to be the saviors of BC football, because they were so TALENTED. Im hearing the same about the other classes too, except the senior class. People forget the first championship in 99 had 3 playing seniors and the 05 champions were lead by a senior class, whom many regarded as the least TALENTED class to come through since the early 90s. Their are more things at work than talent IMO. I think the team knows the community and administration is not on their side. Too much negativity around this team, its almost like they expect to lose and play not to lose. The body language was down on that whole sideline this past friday. Ive never seen a Boyle team act like that. Coach Pardue is a great coach, and now i fear he has to change not just gameplans but also the mentality of his kids.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed this thread earlier but as I went back to read it, it dawned on me that Marty Jaggers is 4-0 as a head coach against Boyle County.

2007 Mercer County 34 Boyle County 17

2006 Mercer County 27 Boyle County 14

1992 Lincoln County 27 Boyle County 0

1991 Lincoln County 53 Boyle County 6

Pretty impressive.