The Associated Press has some major issues with their football poll

The Scribe

That's the AP mentality. Look at win-loss record and nothing else. I agree that a team has to get the job done on the field and win some games. But if Bardstown loses to Danville by 6, to Highlands by 6, and to Mayfield by 6 and is 0-3, are they better than Jenkins that beat Betsy Layne, South Floyd, and East Ridge and has a 3-0 record. Your logic would seem to indicate that. As would the logic of the AP voters.

Boy Howdy do I agree with this. There although does come a time when you loose so many games that you should in all rights drop in the poll. Case in point 3-A Louisville Central. Without a doubt the number 1 team in 3-A. They have lost two games. At what point does Belfry jump to the #1 position as long as they keep winning? I personally would say only if Central were to loose to a 3-A team. No mater who they are. With the schedule that Central has they should loose games. Now if they loose to JC and then Belfry beats JC. No brainer. Belfry is number 1. Just my thoughts.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the AP mentality. Look at win-loss record and nothing else. I agree that a team has to get the job done on the field and win some games. But if Bardstown loses to Danville by 6, to Highlands by 6, and to Mayfield by 6 and is 0-3, are they better than Jenkins that beat Betsy Layne, South Floyd, and East Ridge and has a 3-0 record. Your logic would seem to indicate that. As would the logic of the AP voters.

Strength of schedule is a factor that must be considered. An example would be Corbin. In 2004 they started out the season with a 2 and 3 record. Because of their strength of schedule, I would have ranked them in the top 10 of class AA. They went on to eight straight wins and eventually lost to Owensboro Catholic 34-33 in the fourth round of the state tournament. In 2005 Corbin started the season at 0-5 and 2006 at 0-3.

Who is to say until they actually played ... who knows what confidence 3-0 brings and what doubts 0-3 brings. No one knows the answer to that but what you do know is one team is 3-0 and another is 0-3.

Look at 4A for example ... Marion County is 6-0 and ranked behind Boyle County who is 1-5. You can cry SOS all you want but the fact is Marion has gotten it done on the field and BC has not it took playing an 0-5 team to get a win. If they were both 5-1 or Marion was 5-1/6-0 and BC was 4-2, then maybe you can say well BC played a tougher schedule.

I'm in tune with 4A because my kid plays for BE but I am sure there are other examples.

SOS has to play a part of it but you can't use it to an extreme. Like I said for the most part BGP gets it close, but you can't just assume a team is good because they used to be and they have played a tough schedule.

Trinity started out 0-4 in 2003, went on to win their next 11 games and state title #15.

Deserved to drop out of the rankings after losing to 2 tough out of state schools, Seneca(a top 5 team that season) and Manual? All four losses combined equaled about 13 points total.

There are always going to be examples .. just like you could point out 100 teams that started 0-4 and went 0-10 .. or point out teams that started out 5-0 and went 5-5.

But until they start winning they should fall in the rankings. You example with Trinity .. they didn't deserve to be in the top 5 when they were 0-4, but eventually they started to win. Just like if Boyle County finishes 5-5 (which I think they could), then the a top 10 ranking would be just.

I'm really not picking on any one team, just what I think is faulty logic.

Once again for the most part BGP gets their rankings right.

At 2-5 they shouldn't have been ranked in the top 10. The more the won as the season went along then they could sneak back in to the poll. As I've said all along .. SOS is fine but you have to win games.
That Mayfield team was a top-10 team all along, but they were losing to bigger schools that were ranked in their respective classes.

See my ND example they have had the #2 SOS in the country and are 1-5 ... in most HS polls in Kentucky this would have them ranked 3rd or 4th.
Bull. Notre Dame is getting wiped out by most of their opponents. Bardstown, the highest-ranked team with a losing record, is losing close games to highly-ranked teams in higher classes ... they have earned their ranking.

FWIW BGP's is the only poll I think is decent .. but they still give too much credit to SOS and not wins. At some point a team has to win games. 0-11 with the #1 SOS is still an 0-11 team.
Strength of schedule is an important factor to consider, and in most years, the teams that advance the farthest have played tough regular-season schedules.

There are always going to be examples .. just like you could point out 100 teams that started 0-4 and went 0-10 .. or point out teams that started out 5-0 and went 5-5.

But until they start winning they should fall in the rankings. You example with Trinity .. they didn't deserve to be in the top 5 when they were 0-4, but eventually they started to win.

That Trinity team deserved to be ranked in the top 10, and their run to the state title validated that view. Not all 0-4 starts are created equal, to coin a phrase from the founding fathers.

Look at 4A for example ... Marion County is 6-0 and ranked behind Boyle County who is 1-5. You can cry SOS all you want but the fact is Marion has gotten it done on the field and BC has not it took playing an 0-5 team to get a win. If they were both 5-1 or Marion was 5-1/6-0 and BC was 4-2, then maybe you can say well BC played a tougher schedule.
Boyle has played a tougher schedule, a much tougher one. Four of their losses (two by a touchdown or less) have come to teams ranked in the top five in their respective classes, and the other one is to a top-10 team in 6A.

Marion could well be 1-5 against the schedule that Boyle has played, and Boyle might have beaten all of the teams that Marion has beaten. Marion has three wins by a touchdown or less over unranked teams, so it isn't as if the Knights are dominating people.

Boyle has played a tougher schedule, a much tougher one. Four of their losses (two by a touchdown or less) have come to teams ranked in the top five in their respective classes, and the other one is to a top-10 team in 6A.

Marion could well be 1-5 against the schedule that Boyle has played, and Boyle might have beaten all of the teams that Marion has beaten. Marion has three wins by a touchdown or less over unranked teams, so it isn't as if the Knights are dominating people.

But how do you know? If they played now maybe a 6-0 confident Marion roles over a 1-5 full of doubts Boyle County.

Boyle had a bad season last year and did not prove themselves in the playoffs. So what makes anyone think they would this year? Lexington Catholic has played just as tough of a schedule .. difference is they won on the field and didn't use the schedule as an excuse.

If BC was 4-2 then yeah factor in their schedule and rank them higher than Marion. But to say Marion would be 1-5 against the same schedule is nothing but guess work. Rank on facts ... Marion has taken care of business on the field BC has not. If BC with the bad year they had last year made a deep run in the playoffs then maybe ... maybe you could rank them in the top 10 at 1-5. But fact is they haven't proven themselves on the field for over 2 years now so what is their to base their ranking on?

As far as close loses go ... 3 out of the 4 Bullitt East loses have been by 1 point ... but I'm not clamouring for them to be ranked any higher than they are because they didn't pull through in those games.

How do you justify BC being ranked ahead of North Bullitt? They have one common opponent and North lost by 10, BC got beat by 24. North has 3 more wins. Both teams wins have come against teams that are not very good. Looking at North's schedule I see the same wins and loses for BC as North has suffered.

Boyle loses to Shelby, Lafayette and Bullitt East. They win against Breck, Waggner, Larue and J'Town.

As a side note .. I hope everyone knows I'm just making conversation .. I am fully aware that the rankings mean absolutely nothing in the scheme of things and since nearly every team makes the playoffs, things will work themselves out there.

Trinity started out 0-4 in 2003, went on to win their next 11 games and state title #15.

Deserved to drop out of the rankings after losing to 2 tough out of state schools, Seneca(a top 5 team that season) and Manual? All four losses combined equaled about 13 points total.

Pep..

I wish you ROCKS could have kept that unbelievable luck (or lack of) to yourselves early on in '03!!! haha

We (Mercer County) know how you feel this year. We've lost 4 games by a total of 12 points....all games being decided within the last minutes (Pulaski 23-22...Watertown, TN 10-7) or 5 seconds (Lincoln County 12-7....Hopkinsville 17-14) of the game:creepy:!!! Now, if you all can rub off some of the luck you had in the later part of the season on all of us down here in Titan Town, then that would be greatly appreciated!!!:thumb::jump:

Which would be relevant if they had played comparable schedules ... they haven't. Not even close.

But like I said ... it is only speculation on how BC would do against any other schedule ... fact is they have only been able to beat a team with 0 wins.

Who is to say Marion wouldn't be 4-2 or 3-3 against BC's schedule? But put aside Marion for the moment ... BC is also ranked ahead of North Bullitt who is 4-3 and they had a common opponent.

FWIW I think North beats Marion by 20 on the 19th.