The Associated Press has some major issues with their football poll

The Scribe

It's painfully obvious that a lot of AP voters look at a team's record and ignore things like strength of schedule and how competitive some teams are in games against highly-ranked opponents.

You hit it on the head West. I think a great deal more thought should be put into the thinking/consideration. Maybe too much influenece from homers and not enough objective thinking from some.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 5A I can't gripe with the top 3, after that I'm not so sure. I think this is definately skewed. I have seen Pulaski County and Lincoln County play, I am glad they are having good seasons but include Anderson County in the mix and all three are ranked too high.

Go to school for all those years and I have HDE exposing my spelling errors. Come on GURU get some spell check for us none spellers.

Down load a Google tool bar, it has spell check for typed fields. It's been making me look good for years.

So I take it your team isn't ranked, or isn't ranked high enough ...

Which teams do you think are overranked because of their tradition?

Actually it helped my team. BGP had Bullitt East still ahead of Marion the week after we beat them, no way we should of been after losing to them.

Any team that is 2-4 or lower has no business being in the top 10. You can claim SOS and history all you want but at some point you have to win games.

A few years ago, Mayfield was 2-5 at this point in the season against a brutal schedule and actually fell out of the AP poll for a short time. Some people were picking the Cardinals to be unseated by either Murray or Ballard Memorial.

I'm guessing mh2365 would have insisted Mayfield, if they had been ranked, was getting credit in such polls because of their tradition.

In the end, the voters were way off. Mayfield beat Murray and Ballard handily and got to the state semifinals. The Cardinals led Danville at the start of the fourth quarter, lost 17-10 on a last-minute touchdown and watched Danville win the state title the next week.

At 2-5 they shouldn't have been ranked in the top 10. The more the won as the season went along then they could sneak back in to the poll. As I've said all along .. SOS is fine but you have to win games.

See my ND example they have had the #2 SOS in the country and are 1-5 ... in most HS polls in Kentucky this would have them ranked 3rd or 4th.

FWIW BGP's is the only poll I think is decent .. but they still give too much credit to SOS and not wins. At some point a team has to win games. 0-11 with the #1 SOS is still an 0-11 team.

At 2-5 they shouldn't have been ranked in the top 10. The more the won as the season went along then they could sneak back in to the poll. As I've said all along .. SOS is fine but you have to win games.

See my ND example they have had the #2 SOS in the country and are 1-5 ... in most HS polls in Kentucky this would have them ranked 3rd or 4th.

FWIW BGP's is the only poll I think is decent .. but they still give too much credit to SOS and not wins. At some point a team has to win games. 0-11 with the #1 SOS is still an 0-11 team.

What you are saying is true but I think what BGP Poll tries to do is compare how teams would do playing each others schedule.

For example Class A school Bayside is 2-5 and Class A Valley is 6-1.

Bayside owns 24 point victories over two other class A teams with a combined record of 8-4 and has lost by an average of 10 points to five Class 5A and 6A teams with a combined 25-25 won/loss record.

Valley has six wins by an average of 20 points over Class A teams with a combined record of 12-18. Their one loss was by 40 points to a 5-5 Class 5A team.

Who should be ranked higher?

If Bayside played Valley's schedule could they be 6-1?

If Valley played Bayside's schedule could they be 2-5?

What you are saying is true but I think what BGP Poll tries to do is compare how teams would do playing each others schedule.

For example Class A school Bayside is 2-5 and Class A Valley is 6-1.

Bayside owns 24 point victories over two other class A teams with a combined record of 8-4 and has lost by an average of 10 points to five Class 5A and 6A teams with a combined 25-25 won/loss record.

Valley has six wins by an average of 20 points over Class A teams with a combined record of 12-18. Their one loss was by 40 points to a 5-5 Class 5A team.

Who should be ranked higher?

If Bayside played Valley's schedule could they be 6-1?

If Valley played Bayside's schedule could they be 2-5?

No way that Bayside is 2-5! Not when you got Zach Morris and AC Slater playing! HAHA

That's the AP mentality. Look at win-loss record and nothing else. I agree that a team has to get the job done on the field and win some games. But if Bardstown loses to Danville by 6, to Highlands by 6, and to Mayfield by 6 and is 0-3, are they better than Jenkins that beat Betsy Layne, South Floyd, and East Ridge and has a 3-0 record. Your logic would seem to indicate that. As would the logic of the AP voters.