Just rewatched the UofL and UK game and...

RowdyRedRam

We are bad. By we I mean UofL.

Considering the number of bad third down play calls by the Wildcats and near misses from receiver to qb. There is no way anyone can convince me that our defense played any better against UK than they did vs Middle Tenn. I would be counting on my toes to get the number of missed and uncompleted tackles by the defense. The lack of a pass rush and the inability to stop the HB dive are inexcusable. The mere fact that we blew the coverage on the same play at the end of the first half as the one that lost us the game was horrendous.

Offensively there were a lot of coaching mistakes. We should have run the ball over thirty times in this game. We need to understand that our offense needs to protect our defense and the clock has got to run. Also the 4th and goal and the 2 point conversion we needed to use our power game.

What is so disturbing is how the attitude of the defense has changed so much over one season. I didn't feel nearly as concerned immediately after the loss as I do now that I've seen the replay. We are playing as badly on defense as I have ever seen a UofL team play.

Which is why I found it completely inexcusable that Joker called an option pitch on 4th and 1...had UK ran a HB dive and converted and gone on to punch it in with little time left, and then opened the second half with a scoring drive, we'd have been looking at a 19 point lead and the game wouldn't have been as close. But, who knows how things would have played out...

...it just took me the better part of an hour to completely get over that call...and if we'd have lost, I may never have got over it. :lol:

I think U of L's defense played better, but not by much.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're kidding, right?

I refuse to become a Kentucky-like fan, calling for coach's and AD's head with only the smallest set-back. We may not be playing for a national championship this year, but the season isn't lost yet. Not only that, but I think that everyone needs to step back, take a deep breath and remember we lost 7 VERY experienced defensive starters from last year's team. And take into account the HUGE loss that Amobie was to us.

Please...anyone who wants to rip Jurich for this season needs to get a reality check. That man has led the entire UL Athletic program to unprecedented success at UL. Look somewhere else to place blame.

Which is why he phrased his question, "How bad does the season have to go..."

I agree that Jurich's track record should place him above questioning, or at the least, buy him some good will...however, if U of L's season takes a nosedive, Steve Kragthorpe will be on the hot seat. You may not say much, but you know as well as I, they'll be a large number of Louisville fans ripping Coach K. That's a fact.

Which is why I found it completely inexcusable that Joker called an option pitch on 4th and 1...had UK ran a HB dive and converted and gone on to punch it in with little time left, and then opened the second half with a scoring drive, we'd have been looking at a 19 point lead and the game wouldn't have been as close. But, who knows how things would have played out...

...it just took me the better part of an hour to completely get over that call...and if we'd have lost, I may never have got over it. :lol:

I think U of L's defense played better, but not by much.

I'm with you. I was about to blow a gasket when we ran that option in that situation. I'm sure there was something we couldn't see that made them want to run that play, but whatever it was, it didn't work out and I hope they never run it again. :lol:

I'm with you. I was about to blow a gasket when we ran that option in that situation. I'm sure there was something we couldn't see that made them want to run that play, but whatever it was, it didn't work out and I hope they never run it again. :lol:

I was right there with you. I wasn't happy with Joker's play calling in the 1st half.

I agree, but let me tell you what I saw...3 and 4 yards every time we ran the ball almost without exception. Maybe they did see something they could exploit, but to me, the risk far outweighed the reward, especially considering the alternative. The odds are very high we'd have converted the 4th and 1 with a HB Dive (or something similar) and we were moving the ball pretty well, so at the least I think we'd have got a FG and milked enough time to prevent U of L from getting anything more than a FG in response. So, worst case, I figure we're still ahead 29-24 after Guy's return TD, best case we're up 33-21 after that point...as it turned out, we were behind 28-26...Risk/Reward, Joker, risk/reward...:lol:

I really think Joker blew that play call and had we lost, that's the one play in the game I would have pointed to as a huge turning point.

However, I hesitate to criticize Joker because I think he does a great job with his play calling and he has ever since he took over. And, I realize that these guys make calculated decisions and sometimes they don't work...I will say though, that was the worst play call and I can remember from him since he got the OC job, so I'm inclined to give him a pass...assuming he learned his lesson. :D

Don't ever, ever do that again!

I was right there with you. I wasn't happy with Joker's play calling in the 1st half.

I was pretty satisfied with the exception of that play...I would have preferred us to pound the ball with the running game a little more considering the success we were having, but overall, I think we have a very underrated and underappreciated offensive coordinator.

^^:thumb: and if they do some of them are probably some of the same ones that were laughing at U.K. and all the Tubby Bashers last b.b. season. :laugh:

Pot.............Meet Kettle! ..............:thumb: :lol: :lol: I Love It!

I'm ashamed of UL fans who are "bashers" of any sort. I simply won't condone it for anyone, but least of all for UL fans.

I'm ashamed of UL fans who are "bashers" of any sort. I simply won't condone it for anyone, but least of all for UL fans.

I think it's unnerving for some to find out that UK fans aren't much different than anyone else...:thumb:

^ It drives me nuts, that said "U of L" fans say they are die hard fans, and then are ready to jump ship in 3 games.....actually, it is quite funny.

Thats what happens when fans get comfortable with success. The minute a teams success slows down the slightest bit it's real easy to identify that teams real fans.

Do you think part of the up roar is based mostly on the fact that the loss came to UK ? I wonder how the moral would be right now had UL lost to some other unranked team ? Losing to an in state rival always makes a loss seem a lot worse that it actually is.

^ It drives me nuts, that said "U of L" fans say they are die hard fans, and then are ready to jump ship in 3 games.....actually, it is quite funny.

Wait until Saturday and see how many fans show up! My guess is around 35,000 tops. I have had a very hard time finding takers for my 4 free tickets and green lot pass! I offered customers, family, friends,neighbors and no takers. Finally gave them to the wife to give away at her work.Unless I miss my bet I say way less than a full house.(we have another wedding to go to)