Just rewatched the UofL and UK game and...

RowdyRedRam

I think it's unnerving for some to find out that UK fans aren't much different than anyone else...:thumb:

Here's a copy of a poll posted in the C-J online today, I voted (of course).

Here are the results at the time I had voted.

What should be done?
What would you do, considering football coach Steve Kragthorpe's rocky start at U of L?

spacer.gif 15.5%
Fire the guy.
spacer.gif 17.5%
Shake up the assistant coaching staff.
spacer.gif 2.2%
Cut his salary.
spacer.gif 64.7%
Back off and let him have his honeymoon.

Total Votes: 1378

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^ It drives me nuts, that said "U of L" fans say they are die hard fans, and then are ready to jump ship in 3 games.....actually, it is quite funny.

My only point is that people are generally consistent in their behavior...in any group, you're going to have irrational, obnoxious and uninformed people. The thing about UK's fan base (particularly in basketball) is that it's one of the biggest for any sports team, which means there are going to be a large number of people who give them a black eye.

But, for the most part, any fan base has a certain percentage of people who fall into that group...and it gets worse when they have tasted success, like UK basketball (or U of L football this decade). People become spoiled, expect that all the time, and have to have a whipping boy when it doesn't.

It's a little early to throw Kragthorpe under the bus, IMO. He's got plenty of time to correct some things, and coaching changes rarely go by without some hiccups.

Like you, I was dissappointed that UK fans wanted Rich Brooks gone before he ever coached a game, and then expected him to do something that no other UK coach in my lifetime has done while inheriting a mess...I had confidence that he could get the program headed in the right direction given the time and he seems to be doing that.

Here's a copy of a poll posted in the C-J online today, I voted (of course).

Here are the results at the time I had voted.

What should be done?
What would you do, considering football coach Steve Kragthorpe's rocky start at U of L?

spacer.gif 15.5%
Fire the guy.
spacer.gif 17.5%
Shake up the assistant coaching staff.
spacer.gif 2.2%
Cut his salary.
spacer.gif 64.7%
Back off and let him have his honeymoon.

Total Votes: 1378

By my count, that's 35.2% (or 35.3% if you subtract 64.7 from 100, instead of adding the other 3) who are overreacting and being unreasonable after 3 games. That doesn't surprise me.

Which is why he phrased his question, "How bad does the season have to go..."

I agree that Jurich's track record should place him above questioning, or at the least, buy him some good will...however, if U of L's season takes a nosedive, Steve Kragthorpe will be on the hot seat. You may not say much, but you know as well as I, they'll be a large number of Louisville fans ripping Coach K. That's a fact.

I learned of something interesting this week.

When Steve Kragthorpe agree to the terms that Tom Jurich set forth for the Louisville job, one of those terms were that three coaches on last year's staff were untouchable. Evidently Coach Krag had no problem with two of the three. But he did especially want to name someone else to his staff and it was not a position coach. He was unable to make that selection and it appears that might be a cause for concern for the Cardinals right now.

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out at the end of the season.

Thats what happens when fans get comfortable with success. The minute a teams success slows down the slightest bit it's real easy to identify that teams real fans.

Do you think part of the up roar is based mostly on the fact that the loss came to UK ? I wonder how the moral would be right now had UL lost to some other unranked team ? Losing to an in state rival always makes a loss seem a lot worse that it actually is.

I agree with all you said and would just like to add a comment.

I think there is a difference in overreacting to a coach after 3 games, and forming an opinion based on 5-10 years. The fans need to give Kragthorpe some time before calling for his head. Give him a chance to get things fixed...and maybe realize that the defensive losses for U of L weren't as easy to replace as some thought. I mean, they still have the same DC, so the coaching change shouldn't have affected the defense as much, IMO...

...the biggest concern I'd have from a U of L standpoint is the seeming lack of discipline from the defense (on the field). Whether that is a reflection on Kragthorpe, the DC, or the players they have (whether that be youth and inexperience, or just guys who are thickheaded), I don't know. Fix that, IMO, and the defense will make some nice strides.

I learned of something interesting this week.

When Steve Kragthorpe agree to the terms that Tom Jurich set forth for the Louisville job, one of those terms were that three coaches on last year's staff were untouchable. Evidently Coach Krag had no problem with two of the three. But he did especially want to name someone else to his staff and it was not a position coach. He was unable to make that selection and it appears that might be a cause for concern for the Cardinals right now.

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out at the end of the season.

Not sure if I follow what you're getting at, unless he wanted to bring in a new DC. In any case, Cassidy (sp?) has done a pretty good job with the defense until this year...at least that's what I thought.

Wait until Saturday and see how many fans show up! My guess is around 35,000 tops. I have had a very hard time finding takers for my 4 free tickets and green lot pass! I offered customers, family, friends,neighbors and no takers. Finally gave them to the wife to give away at her work.Unless I miss my bet I say way less than a full house.(we have another wedding to go to)

I don't care about those idiots....but either way a 12:00 game is early, specifically when U of L is playing arguably the worst team in D-1A....on the other hand, while you say you are a fan of both "and have been for years" your words and posts ALWAYS indicate otherwise, take your backhanded comments and keep them in your seats in Commonwealth...geez.

Not sure if I follow what you're getting at, unless he wanted to bring in a new DC. In any case, Cassidy (sp?) has done a pretty good job with the defense until this year...at least that's what I thought.

One of the untouchables was obviously Jeff Brohm who almost got away, but fortunately stayed with the Cardinals. I am assuming the other was Greg Nord. Evidently, Coach Krag had someone tagged as his defensive coordinator, but was trumped.

I know Mike Cassity is a good coach with a long resume, and I am sure he has a lot of pressure on him to turn Louisville's two national television defensive performances around. I like Mike and hope he gets it done!

I'm with you. I was about to blow a gasket when we ran that option in that situation. I'm sure there was something we couldn't see that made them want to run that play, but whatever it was, it didn't work out and I hope they never run it again. :lol:

:thumb: :lol: I am guilty as well, Mrs. Rambler about kicked me out of the house when I saw that and "mildly" :sssh: expressed my dissapointment. :D

I just watched it again this morning and don't you know the Cats kicked the Cards butt again!!!! Wow :eek: :eek: and by the same score!! What are the odds? :D

I do not know if you could see it on TV but in the stadium it was obvious that UK was the faster and stronger team.