UL Player "Greeting" UK Fans

Cdirty107

If my kid did that while wearing a High School uniform, she would sit one game. Her Coach believes you are representing your school and should show respect to other teams and their fans. I believe a few extra laps would be put on her workout also.

She would also be grounded, lose her phone and computer...but that would come from me.

But is was for the Coach to handle, and who knows this player may be cleaning the dorm bathrooms right now with his toothbrush.

And as you've said, he may be receiving his punishment as we speak.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy into the argument that the fans can be classless because they aren't in uniform or on scholarship. In that picture, the player represents UL and the fans represent UK. If the fans were hurling insults at the UL player, they should have been evicted from the stadium. If you are such a mental midget that you have to insult young adults playing a game, you don't belong in the stadium. If you can't control your emotions enough to not be hurling insults at young adults playing a game, you don't belong have a driving license. Cheer your own team on and leave the other team alone. And yes Virginia I am a UK fan.

Personally I hope UL wins out. It makes our victory look even better and would be good for the overall state of football in Ky.

Imo it absolutely does, he did this while representing the University of Louisville. Wearing the uniform of a team/school is a representative of that school. Imo that is MUCH more than some fan in the stands wearing a U.L. or any other schools t-shirt and making a butt of themselves. This kid was part of the university itself and reresents the university, team and coaching staff it by wearing the uniform. Same would go for cheerleaders, band, etc.. I agree it says all one needs to know about him but when he is wearing that uni it also represents the school.

Yes, it does...his jersey says that he is a Louisville Cardinal, not an individual. It says that this type of behavior has either not been addressed as being inappropriate and unacceptable or that he is willing to defy his coach and team guidelines. Either way, this make the Cards look bad.

His actions may shine a bad light on the the team but it reflects nothing towards the integrity of the team and coaches. They are not baby sitters and it's not their responsibility to remind the players not to flip anyone off during the game... The fans and students in the stadium represent the University just as much as the players do and they aren't lectured on inappropriate behavior because they should know better, just like the players should.

Of course the fans are going to act like idiots. They do everywhere. Whether it's right or wrong is irrelevant because that's how it goes. I can remember going to watch UK at the Pizza Box and hearing some pretty colorful things. I almost expected it. Those guys were idiots just like the guys from UK were idiots. I'm sure it happened when UC went to Miami, USC to Nebraska...etc.

But as a coach it's bigger than just flipping the fans off. If you can't keep your composure when some fans are giving you a hard time, how are you going to handle a linebacker or DB jawing to you during the game? If I were a coach, I'd be concerned about the mental toughness of this young man more than anything. What if he makes it to the next level and has to listen to Ray Lewis or Chad Johnson?

FWIW, I wouldn't spend much more than two minutes on the subject because I'm sure the young man knows what he did was wrong. I'm just responding to the thread...

Of course the fans are going to act like idiots. They do everywhere. Whether it's right or wrong is irrelevant because that's how it goes. I can remember going to watch UK at the Pizza Box and hearing some pretty colorful things. I almost expected it. Those guys were idiots just like the guys from UK were idiots. I'm sure it happened when UC went to Miami, USC to Nebraska...etc.

But as a coach it's bigger than just flipping the fans off. If you can't keep your composure when some fans are giving you a hard time, how are you going to handle a linebacker or DB jawing to you during the game? If I were a coach, I'd be concerned about the mental toughness of this young man more than anything. What if he makes it to the next level and has to listen to Ray Lewis or Chad Johnson?

FWIW, I wouldn't spend much more than two minutes on the subject because I'm sure the young man knows what he did was wrong. I'm just responding to the thread...

Sticky, I disagree with this part of your post. Each team has security. If security observes fans cursing or insulting the other team's players or fans they should be removed from the game. It is wrong and it is not irrelevant; permitting it to occur is condoning it and encouraging it. Such results in fights and responses like those of the player. Both sides of this mess are equally wrong.

One point about the young kid in the picture. His butt belongs in his seat cheering for his team. Period. You wouldn't allow your kids to be in that situation and I wouldn't allow mine either. I'm sure you'll agree ans (at the game or on this site) should not be given a pass from showing class and manners and respecting the other teams fans and players. And the fact that the heckling and poor behavior happens all the time and at other places is not an acceptable excuse. The fact that it is happening everywhere is more justification to crack down on it. I'm quite certain that you do not accept the "well my friend Johnny says the f word, so I can say it also" from your kids. :D

Its making a mountain out of a molehill. Yes its wrong. Heat of the moment in an emotional setting. people need to be a little more realistic.

Think about what the kid in Douglass's face is saying. I'd bet its worse than the finger.

Also Dicky Lyons is on film after the game saying "#9 my butt". although he didn't say butt. I'm not saying he should be in trouble for that either. But its just as bad.

Sticky, I disagree with this part of your post. Each team has security. If security observes fans cursing or insulting the other team's players or fans they should be removed from the game. It is wrong and it is not irrelevant; permitting it to occur is condoning it and encouraging it. Such results in fights and responses like those of the player. Both sides of this mess are equally wrong.

One point about the young kid in the picture. His butt belongs in his seat cheering for his team. Period. You wouldn't allow your kids to be in that situation and I wouldn't allow mine either. I'm sure you'll agree ans (at the game or on this site) should not be given a pass from showing class and manners and respecting the other teams fans and players. And the fact that the heckling and poor behavior happens all the time and at other places is not an acceptable excuse. The fact that it is happening everywhere is more justification to crack down on it. I'm quite certain that you do not accept the "well my friend Johnny says the f word, so I can say it also" from your kids. :D

And then you would have 1,000 people left at the game. I was there, and it was that bad. There's a video floating around on the Lexington-Herald website that has Dickey Lyons Jr. saying a pretty derogatory thing about the Cards after the game, but I doubt anything will come of that, just as nothing should come of #78's actions.

FWIW Leatherneck, I'm not directing this post at you, but you were the last one to respond on the subject. :D

And then you would have 1,000 people left at the game. I was there, and it was that bad. There's a video floating around on the Lexington-Herald website that has Dickey Lyons Jr. saying a pretty derogatory thing about the Cards after the game, but I doubt anything will come of that, just as nothing should come of #78's actions.

FWIW Leatherneck, I'm not directing this post at you, but you were the last one to respond on the subject. :D

You may be right about only 1000 being left. But I think in short order the place would again be filled; but with respectful fans cheering their own team on instead of heckling the other team. We wouldn't tolerate this behavior at a high school game. Why is it okay at college games? Makes no sense to me.

You may be right about only 1000 being left. But I think in short order the place would again be filled; but with respectful fans cheering their own team on instead of heckling the other team. We wouldn't tolerate this behavior at a high school game. Why is it okay at college games? Makes no sense to me.

Come on. There are thousands of people in front of the stadium drinking hours before the game. You're going to need a lot more security then what they currently have. And don't say 'ban tailgating' because they'll just go somewhere else and worse things can happen...

A high school game is full of under age kids who are still living with their parents and are under their guidance. A college game is full of some under age kids and some legal 'adults' who no longer are living with their parents.

Stuff 70,000 people in a stadium against an intrastate rival and you're bound to have a lot of hostile people. Hell, in the high school forum there are threads every week complaining about student sections and there are only 2000-3000 people at those games.

If a kid can't handle some people yelling at him and even some obscenities, he's going to have a tough road ahead of him...

I'm guessing there are other photos out there of this incident, but in the one in the link that's posted, all it looks like is the team standing around waiting to run out to the field. Giacomini looks like he's doing nothing more than adjusting his helmet in the photo posted.

I'm guessing there are other photos out there of this incident, but in the one in the link that's posted, all it looks like is the team standing around waiting to run out to the field. Giacomini looks like he's doing nothing more than adjusting his helmet in the photo posted.

Thats not the original picture. Guess they took it off the site.

In the original picture, he's standing with both arms stretched out giving the "you're #1" to the UK fans on both sides of the tunnel.

Thats not the original picture. Guess they took it off the site.

In the original picture, he's standing with both arms stretched out giving the "you're #1" to the UK fans on both sides of the tunnel.

Ahhh … Yeah, that's no good. He's a veteran, and should have better sense than that.

Come on. There are thousands of people in front of the stadium drinking hours before the game. You're going to need a lot more security then what they currently have. And don't say 'ban tailgating' because they'll just go somewhere else and worse things can happen...

A high school game is full of under age kids who are still living with their parents and are under their guidance. A college game is full of some under age kids and some legal 'adults' who no longer are living with their parents.

Stuff 70,000 people in a stadium against an intrastate rival and you're bound to have a lot of hostile people. Hell, in the high school forum there are threads every week complaining about student sections and there are only 2000-3000 people at those games.

If a kid can't handle some people yelling at him and even some obscenities, he's going to have a tough road ahead of him...

You're just continuing to rationalize bad behavior Sticky. I don't care if they are drunk and can't control themselves. Actually I do care. If they are drunk, they should be thrown out of the stadium. I tailgate before lots of high school games, including before we play our toughest rival. Sometimes for hours :D. I've never even thought of harassing or cursing a CovCath player. Furthermore the fact the college players are no longer living with their parents is meaningful how? I won't go to the Bengals games any more because of the drunks yelling and shouting obscenities. And they think they are being good fans which is amazing to me. Usually just a bunch of fat guys trying go "re-live" their never were football days.

As to your last point, I agree that the player shouldn't have reacted the way he did. Then again, if my fellow UK fans had acted like adults, and not clowns, we'd never be dealing with that issue, now would we?