How could ND be this bad?

All Play No Work

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If these are Ty's guys, Fat Man should be given zero credit for the past two seasons BCS appearances, because we all know Quinn, Walker, Szmarjdia(sp?), Zibikowski (sp?) were all Ty's guys.

Yeah they are Ty's guys who were backups with no experience. As I said in the post before this, its pretty easy to see why this team is not that good...If they have not improved by the end of season though with some experience, then there will be a problem...

Yeah they are Ty's guys who were backups with no experience. As I said in the post before this, its pretty easy to see why this team is not that good...If they have not improved by the end of season though with some experience, then there will be a problem...

My question is why does Weis get credit for what he's accomplished with Ty's guys the past two years, but this year when they're struggling, it's Ty's fault.

My question is why does Weis get credit for what he's accomplished with Ty's guys the past two years, but this year when they're struggling, it's Ty's fault.

Well I dont think people should be saying that is the reason why they are struggling. The main reason as I said is because of the inexperience on offense and defense now. Yeah the seniors are Tys guys and are really not that good of a group, they wasn't when they got here either. The juniors however are Weis, but not his best group since alot of top guys were already gone..The two classes Weis got to go get is the sophomores and freshman. Those sophomores as I said though were mostly redshirted and getting their first experience. Then the freshman this year besides Claussen are mostly redshirted. So Notre Dame has a team with upperclassman who are not that talented and with no experience, and younger guys who have some talent but no experience either. That is just a bad combination for any football team to have...Also one of the bigger reasons is how BAD THE OFFENSIVE LINE IS. Claussen has no chance to do anything back there..

Well I dont think people should be saying that is the reason why they are struggling. The main reason as I said is because of the inexperience on offense and defense now. Yeah the seniors are Tys guys and are really not that good of a group, they wasn't when they got here either. The juniors however are Weis, but not his best group since alot of top guys were already gone..The two classes Weis got to go get is the sophomores and freshman. Those sophomores as I said though were mostly redshirted and getting their first experience. Then the freshman this year besides Claussen are mostly redshirted. So Notre Dame has a team with upperclassman who are not that talented and with no experience, and younger guys who have some talent but no experience either. That is just a bad combination for any football team to have...Also one of the bigger reasons is how BAD THE OFFENSIVE LINE IS. Claussen has no chance to do anything back there..

I can buy that.:thumb:

The Juniors, Sophmores, and Freshman are all Weis's guys. Saying this is still Ty's guys is a cop-out IMO.

The Freshman and Sophmore classes were both ranked #8, and with experience should contain several players who will eventually make an impact of the field. With regard to the Junior class, they might techinically be considered Weis's class, but I think that when he was hired it was pretty much accepted that incoming recruiting class would be below par.

Ty had only received verbals from 6 players who went on to sign with Notre Dame before his firing and Weis added another 9 to bring the class to 15. Call it a cop-out if you like but I wouldn't hold that class against Weis when judge whether or not his players are getting it done.

Please recall the Weis was not named the Irish head coach until Decemer 13, 2004 which is only about 6 weeks before National Signing Day. Also keep in mind that he fullfiled his obligations to the New England Patriots, which keep him occupied until February 6, 2005 as he won his 3rd Super Bowl ring.

Sure he did some recruiting during that time but he was basically a part time coach during that period. Of the 15 juniors that were signed only 2 were ranked above 3-stars by Rivals. If you look at the two full recruiting classes that have been signed by Weis and also what he has received verbals from so far this season, I don't think you can really make a case that the Junior class is Weis's guys. Based on what he has done with subsequent recruiting classes, I doubt that Weis would have signed many of the current Junior class, if he had other options.

Notre Dame had a lot of returning starters last season, and therefore the current Sophmore class did not get a lot of experience on the field. Outside of Sam Young, I really can't think of any Freshman last season who received significant playing time.

On the offensive side of the ball only John Carlson TE, John Sullivan C, and Sam Young RT, were starters last season. So you have 11 new guys out on the field who have little to no experience playing at the college level.

It's always been fashionable to bash Notre Dame, but I think that any honest realistic fan of the program would have told you going into the season that they did not have high hopes to the lack of experience. I'll admit that it has been worse than I expected but I think you have to allow Charlie a chance to rebuild this season. I'll give him a pass this year, but I do expect improvement as the season progresses, and would expect that things will be much better by next season.

Everyone seems to like to argue that since he went to two BCS bowls, that the program was full of talent and that he should be winning now. But I imagine that a lot these are the same people who argued that they didn't belong in the BCS games either of those years.

But my point is Ty's guys or Charlie's guys ND should not be this bad!!!

Even if ND had to play every game with just Charlie's Frosh, Sophs, and whatever Juniors were signed in the transition year they should be able to score a TD!!

Other "elite" programs go thru coaching changes all the time and may have losing seasons, but they are at least semi-respectable losses and they can at least score at some point.

These are Ty's guys. It's why he was fired.

Next year, with the majority of Charlies guys are in there and they are bad, then we'll talk.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I will agree that the Seniors on this team belong to Ty.

But Chuck has his 3rd class that helps make up this roster.

The redshirt arguement confuses me. Wouldn't that make them a year older, with one more year in the program to develop, so saying he's playing a bunch of redshirts should actually make them better than they would be if they were true freshmen or sophomores.

Weis has been in SB for 2 plus years, that should be no excuse. Weis may be a better recruiter but for them to be 0-3 has nothing to do with Ty Willingham.

I agree :thumb: Weis is a very good NFL "O" coordinater.............thats it.

Maybe he need to borrow some of the electronic gadgets and cameras of Belicheks :sssh: :scared: , he may not be using them anymore. (or at least for a week or two) :lol:

There is no way Notre Dame should be this bad. Can't score at all, can't stop anyone.

Actually lots of teams could be 0-3 after playing GT, Penn St., and Michigan but even a lower-tiered MAC school could have scored a TD.

How is this possible?

It's called KARMA :lol:

The redshirt arguement confuses me. Wouldn't that make them a year older, with one more year in the program to develop, so saying he's playing a bunch of redshirts should actually make them better than they would be if they were true freshmen or sophomores.

Notre Dame does not use redshirts in the traditional sense. If they are listed as Sophmores than they are only 3 games into their second year in the program. All Freshman are true freshman. If a player who has remaining eligibility left after 4 years wishes to play as a fifth year senior, they must have their degree and be accepted into a graduate program at Notre Dame in order to do so.

Demetrious Jones never played a down last season, but was listed as a Sophmore by the team. Most teams would list him as a redshirt Freshman.

^ So they're not redshirts. Sounds like they're screwing themselves to me.

Notre Dame football is held to a higher standard therefore they are not screwing themselves, they are doing what college is there for - educating young people. Notre Dame athletes are still STUDENT-athletes - unlike any other D-1 school in the nation aside from the Service Academies.