Next Basketball Realignment

IMO Lexington region (11th) needs to be split, it would mean more money for the KHSAA (lexington and louisville schools traditionally bring in more revenue with large crowds) and it would also spread out a loaded region but name the Sweet 17 just doesn't sound right!

Are you serious? The rural schools out number the the larger school crowds 2 to 1.

Unless it is Scott Co. the 11th region dosen't bring many fans to the state tournament and it is in their own backyard. The 6th and 7th can't even fill up the lower level of their cheering section.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious? The rural schools out number the the larger school crowds 2 to 1.

Unless it is Scott Co. the 11th region dosen't bring many fans to the state tournament and it is in their own backyard. The 6th and 7th can't even fill up the lower level of their cheering section.

I've always thought Madison Central could be moved out of the 11th and into the 12th. They have a great following and would bring lots of people to Rupp.

I've always thought Madison Central could be moved out of the 11th and into the 12th. They have a great following and would bring lots of people to Rupp.

You'd have to take Model, Berea and Madison Southern too.

You'd have to take Model, Berea and Madison Southern too.

That may be logical to you and I (me and you)... that was another thread from general discussion...

but to the KHSAA I wouldn't be surprised at all if they actually took one and left the others.

It's not just the coaches, the players have to deal with the travel as well as the parents, fans, officials, and media people that cover these games. This region is way to strung out and needs to be changed. A little longer travel for district games would be fine, but when the regions are played at jenkins and powell it's just ridiculous travel for everyone involved. And I'm Pretty sure that Estill would like to get in the girls rotation if not boys too, that would be even further for people to come to watch a regional tourney. Just think something can be done better with the mapping of the schools in this region.

Estill County has to be in someone's region, though. They are in a bad location at the conflunence of any region they're in. When they were in the 11th region they were the farthest to the southeast of any 11th region school. Other schools in the 11th had to travel a long way to get to Irvine. When they were in the 10th it was the same story. They were the farthest school to the southern part of that region, and if schools such as Brossart or Mason County had played them they would have had to travel a long distance, as would have Estill if they had been traveling to those locations. It would be the same if Estill had been placed in the 12th, they would be the most northern school in that region. So, now they're in the 14th, and they (along with Powell) are the most western located school, and if Hazard or Jenkins schedules them, they're going to have to travel a LONG way, just like other schools had to do in the other regions Estill was once in. What should we do with Estill.....eliminate them from the KHSAA because of their unique location? The answer is NO! As a 14th region fan I welcome them to our region. I mean, they have to be somewhere, don't they.

Propsed new 13th

51st

Red Bird

Knox Central

Bell

Barbourville

52nd

Middlesboro

Harlan Ind

Harlan county Central

Pineville

I like your allignment except I think you need to switch Bell High and Pineville. The way you have it, the Harlan Co schools and Pineville would have to drive by Bell High to get to Middlesboro, and Red Bird, Barbourville and Knox Central would have to travel through Pineville to get to Bell High. If you switch Bell High and Pineville at least you would have a contiguous boundary between the districts.

It make sense to move Western Hills, Frankfort, and Franklin Co. to the 8th (which means Simon Kenton would go to the 9th) and move GRC, Bourbon, and Montgomery to the 11th. Then they would have to drive to Maysville for the region every year or every couple of years if MC gets to host.

• 2 weeks later...
I like your allignment except I think you need to switch Bell High and Pineville. The way you have it, the Harlan Co schools and Pineville would have to drive by Bell High to get to Middlesboro, and Red Bird, Barbourville and Knox Central would have to travel through Pineville to get to Bell High. If you switch Bell High and Pineville at least you would have a contiguous boundary between the districts.

The reason for this could be because over time Bell has been a regional contender (not a winner in a long time unfortunately!!!!!) and they expect Harlan Co. to be a regional contender, so they maybe seperating those schools because of that. I just think they feel like that would be a weak district except for every 2 or 3 seasons when Knox Central is strong IMO.

As for the 11th region, if you want to make the Sweet 16 a lot stronger in general it would make sense to try to put Madison Central in the 12th and Scott County back in the 8th. Even if a school like Henry Clay or Lafayette won't bring a huge following of fans, teams as talented as some Lexington schools are from time to time bring in a lot of people who want to see them.

A Sweet 16 with say Mason, Scott Co, Lafayette (or any Lexington school that is very talented), and Madison Central would bring in a huge crowd IMO.

As for the 11th region, if you want to make the Sweet 16 a lot stronger in general it would make sense to try to put Madison Central in the 12th and Scott County back in the 8th. Even if a school like Henry Clay or Lafayette won't bring a huge following of fans, teams as talented as some Lexington schools are from time to time bring in a lot of people who want to see them.

A Sweet 16 with say Mason, Scott Co, Lafayette (or any Lexington school that is very talented), and Madison Central would bring in a huge crowd IMO.

Gee, I wonder why a Scott County fan would want that ... :lol:

Actually, breaking up the 11th Region wouldn't be a bad idea. It would certainly strengthen the Sweet 16.

The district that needs to be looked at is the 35th district with 3 perennial powers each and every year. Cov Cath, Holmes and Holy Cross. All 3 teams are usually in the top of the ninth region. It is the toughest district by far in the 9th and one of if not the top district in the state with these three powers.

The district that needs to be looked at is the 35th district with 3 perennial powers each and every year. Cov Cath, Holmes and Holy Cross. All 3 teams are usually in the top of the ninth region. It is the toughest district by far in the 9th and one of if not the top district in the state with these three powers.

Certainly not the top. Look at the Lexington and Louisville areas. Also, they are in the same city..........why should they be in different districts?

What are you guys trying to do. It took ten years for Anderson Co and Shelby to get Scott Co out of the eighth. Trying to put them back will give those guys a stroke. I remember when Scott co went to the 11th region there was alot of the neysayers on here say they will never win the 11th and they would never get back to Rupp. No doubt they wanted to stay but they will be just fine wherever you put them!