Dixie Heights 44 Covington Catholic 28

cshs81

However, I did notice in the 3rd quarter, #7 for CCH fielded the kickoff in the endzone and was allowed to return it. He had a great return, but luckily a penalty brought it back. However, I didn't understand how the ref could allow the return when he was standing there watching him catch it in the endzone. :confused:

(I wasn't there and I haven't seen the film). But it sounds like the referee judged that the ball had not yet crossed the goal line. It doesn't matter if his feet are in the end zone; we're only judging whether the ball crossed the line.

That's the easy answer; here's how it's really called:

The receiver has the safe option of letting the kick clearly cross the goal line for a touchback. (After all, he was not required to catch that kick at the goal line; he could've let it go untouched or he could've caught it and taken a step back to put a knee down for a touchback in either case.) Because the receiver doesn't have to attempt a return, referees tend to give him the benefit of the doubt if it's close and allow him to attempt a return. We call it an "if in doubt" situation. If in doubt, he caught it at the one-inch-line.

The receiver is taking a huge risk if he does attempt to catch a kick at his own one-inch-line. He's put his team 99 yards and 35 inches away from a touchdown. Sometimes that risk pays off, sometimes not so much. The flip side is that the kickoff team has an opportunity to make him pay for a bad decision by making a tackle and pinning him deep.

So, really, why do you have to blame the ref? (Insert smiley face here)

offside

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

]Speaking of spirit, the Cov Cath student section was rockin! I guess they heard what was being said about them on BGP and responded. Good for them[/b]

Just so nobody thinks I was slighting them, I need to point out that our student section was on fire as usual too. Both teams made a ton of stupid mistakes on the field but overall this game lived up to the hype we always give it. I would be shocked if at playoff time that both teams haven't fixed most if not all of their deficiencies. If the state champ is not in NKY 5A at years end I will be shocked!:eek: :scared:

While I also couldn't attend the game because of work, I too noticed that the CovCath student section got down to business last night. Good for them.....and keep it up Seniors, don't let your class be the one know for letting the "With a spirit, that will not die" attitude die....

I also agree with the statement of letting some of the underclassmen play in this a rebuilding year for CovCath. It will make CovCath a better ball club in the long run. I just hope that the players, the administration and the fans give Coach Brossart a chance. Starting 0-3 at CovCath isn't what the CovCath faithful are use to, and with the schedule CovCath has, winning two or even three games this season will be tough.

While I also couldn't attend the game because of work, I too noticed that the CovCath student section got down to business last night. Good for them.....and keep it up Seniors, don't let your class be the one know for letting the "With a spirit, that will not die" attitude die....

I also agree with the statement of letting some of the underclassmen play in this a rebuilding year for CovCath. It will make CovCath a better ball club in the long run. I just hope that the players, the administration and the fans give Coach Brossart a chance. Starting 0-3 at CovCath isn't what the CovCath faithful are use to, and with the schedule CovCath has, winning two or even three games this season will be tough.

The great thing about the playoff system in Kentucky is that 0-3 doesn't mean your season is over. If we were in Ohio I'd agree with you 100% that CovCath should just give up on this season and start using it to prepare for next season. However, all they have to do is win one game against either Scott, Holmes, or Highlands to make the playoffs. Also their kids are gaining more experience and improving as the year goes on as shown by the offense posting 28 on a good dixie team. Not to mention later in the season they'll get help from the returns of Pat Van Sant in a couple weeks and Brent Buckley around playoff time. So all that being said why give up when when they've only played 1/5 of their games for the year?

(I wasn't there and I haven't seen the film). But it sounds like the referee judged that the ball had not yet crossed the goal line. It doesn't matter if his feet are in the end zone; we're only judging whether the ball crossed the line.

That's the easy answer; here's how it's really called:

The receiver has the safe option of letting the kick clearly cross the goal line for a touchback. (After all, he was not required to catch that kick at the goal line; he could've let it go untouched or he could've caught it and taken a step back to put a knee down for a touchback in either case.) Because the receiver doesn't have to attempt a return, referees tend to give him the benefit of the doubt if it's close and allow him to attempt a return. We call it an "if in doubt" situation. If in doubt, he caught it at the one-inch-line.

The receiver is taking a huge risk if he does attempt to catch a kick at his own one-inch-line. He's put his team 99 yards and 35 inches away from a touchdown. Sometimes that risk pays off, sometimes not so much. The flip side is that the kickoff team has an opportunity to make him pay for a bad decision by making a tackle and pinning him deep.

So, really, why do you have to blame the ref? (Insert smiley face here)

offside

Thanks for the clarification. The reason for my confusion is that I've noticed quite a few times this year that the return man will step on the goal-line, or just inside it with one foot, and the whistle would get blown immediately with the ball clearly never crossing the line. Then when I saw the CCH return man fielding the ball with both feet in the endzone, which would most likely mean the ball crossed the goal-line, and the ref allowing the return, I was kind of confused.

Explain to the seniors that you're playing for next year.

Explain to me being 0-3 and not looking at all very good in being 0-3? Yes you have two outstanding players out hurt, but injuries are part of the game. Personally at this point of the season I am more than just a little worried about making the playoffs. Yes I understand that all CovCath has to do is beat Highlands, Holmes or Scott to get in, but is that the CovCath way, to just get in, or will you, or any CovCath fan, be happy to just get into the playoff, with the third or fourth seed?

Explain to me being 0-3 and not looking at all very good in being 0-3? Yes you have two outstanding players out hurt, but injuries are part of the game. Personally at this point of the season I am more than just a little worried about making the playoffs. Yes I understand that all CovCath has to do is beat Highlands, Holmes or Scott to get in, but is that the CovCath way, to just get in, or will you, or any CovCath fan, be happy to just get into the playoff, with the third or fourth seed?

So are you saying the Colonels should play for next year?

Are you saying you are happy with the current starters?

There's a difference between being happy with the record and being happy with the individuals. I don't think any individual is not busting their hump or playing to win.

I guess I'd have a problem IF I thought there were backups who are better than the starters. I don't know of any. If you do, I'm open to hearing about them.

The players playing , until proven otherwise, are the Colonels that we roll with. If they do their best, I'm good.

There's a difference between being happy with the record and being happy with the individuals. I don't think any individual is not busting their hump or playing to win.

I guess I'd have a problem IF I thought there were backups who are better than the starters. I don't know of any. If you do, I'm open to hearing about them.

The players playing , until proven otherwise, are the Colonels that we roll with. If they do their best, I'm good.

Will agree with if they are playing their best.....but....is this team that bad, or is the coaching staff not getting the best out of the starters?

I know that CCH is 0-3 but it's hard for me to believe that anyone who sat thru that game last Friday didn't come away with more positives than negatives. The offense is waking up, the line is doing better, the QB is progressing nicely, and so on. CCH teams have gone 3-7 before in the regular season and then went on to make quite a bit of noise in the post season. I doubt that this years squad regardless of their record will do anything less.

Will agree with if they are playing their best.....but....is this team that bad, or is the coaching staff not getting the best out of the starters?

After watching the line this season, I would have to say that there is the root of CCH's problems. If the line continues to develop CCH will be fine. There are a lot of good football players on that team. You can not take a team with as much discipline pride and talent as CCH has year in and year out and not get substantially better by years end. I would agree that if things do not progress than maybe you might want to look at someone other than the kids. ;)

Don't think for a minute the former coach didn't know what was in the pipeline.

Agreed....and to take it a step further, I would suggest that the prior coach fell painfully short in his attempt (or lack of) to develop these kids when they were coming up. It appeared that the focus was entirely and exclusively on winning "today"...which he did. With that said, I hope the current coach gets a fair chance to develop his program, staff, personnel.

As far as this year goes, it will be a challenge for all the reasons stated, not the least of which is the schedule! These kids will continue to progress and I look for them to at least challenge for and in the post season.

Finally, congrats to the Dixie club and coach Spritzky! There appears to be a very positive attitude with this bunch and I wish them a great season!

It's always easy to blame the former coach. Are you suggesting that he should have played the younger guys and let the seniors sit? And, what's wrong with playing to win? Isn't that how you get a state championship? Maybe its time to accept the reality - this combination of players/coach is just not of the same caliber as last year. No insult intened - just the facts. This happens all the time in sports - it is a re-building year. Now we need to wait to see if this coach can pull it off.