Red River Gorge - Snakes

98NCCalum

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me get this straight. You saw that snake in the picture and another one that could harm you and you STILL camped?

Had that been me, it would have been the ol "tell me which way you're running, honey, because I don't want to run over you."

I would have said the same thing! "I Hate Snakes"

My God what a copperhead! I promise you I wouldn't want to be that close to it, especially at night, but goodness look how beautiful of a creature that thing is, the coloration and markings are perfect, I am guessing that it has freshly shed it's skin.

Also, the first pic is your common banded watersnake... except it is a MONSTER. By the looks of it, it hasn't shed it's skin and that's why it doesn't have real distinct bands, but on the bend of the snake where you can no longer see it's tail you can see the bands that distinquish it. Also, the head shape is that of a water snake... notice how far it's head sticks out past the jawline, that is indicative of a watersnake as well... those bands also discounts it from being a blacksnake, blacksnakes also have more of an oval shaped head

Have no fears about a cottonmouth... the only parts of Kentucky you should find them are in the southern counties.

Camping in the Breaks is awesome. It has plenty of hiking trails, some very remote......Very pretty.

For my money, The Breaks is the best kept secret in all of Kentucky. If you go right around Labor Day when the leaves are changing and whitewater rafting is going on, it is absolutely breathtaking.

For my money, The Breaks is the best kept secret in all of Kentucky. If you go right around Labor Day when the leaves are changing and whitewater rafting is going on, it is absolutely breathtaking.

I was there during the Russell Fork Fest 3 times, I Kayaked the first 2 parts of the gorge. That is the best way to see it's true beauty. I agree with you, it is the best kept secret in Kentucky and I hope it stays that way!

Pray tell what were you doing camping in the RRG drunk. Get a life and enjoy the beautiful views you have.
We hiked all day. Took in the views, it was beautiful. At night sitting around the campfire, drink a few beers, what's wrong with that?