Hatfield - McCoy Bowl

Ive said that for years. They would draw a much bigger crowd if they put it a little closer to civilization LOL! Also the they need to do whatever they can to eliminate the fighting that goes on there before during and after the game.

For the last couple of years its been kinda like a hockey game in that aspect.

Pay to watch a fight and a football game may breakout.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really pleased to hear that Belfry's Nick Bowe will be starting at QB. For those that don't know, Bowe missed his entire Senior season due to leg injuries sustained in an ATV accident, good to see the kid have one more high school game!

W.Va. hopes to keep series lead

By PAUL ADKINS, Sports Editor

Published: Friday, July 27, 2007 4:55 AM CDT

E-mail this story | Print this page

Year in a and year out the Kentucky All-Stars seem to come across the Tug River into Matewan, West Virginia, as the favorites in the annual Hatfield-McCoy Senior Bowl.

But the last three years, West Virginia has stuck it to the Bluegrass State team, winning all three games to take a 6-5 all-time series lead.

West Virginia, usually undersized as compared to the Kentuckians, has gotten the job done with its skilled position players — good quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers and defensive backs.

West Virginia has also been able to take advantage of costly Kentucky turnovers.

The Mountain State All-Stars did that last year, turning Kentucky miscues into scores and watching Man’s Andrew McDonald run all over Tiger Stadium as West Virginia won 32-19 on a dry and fast track at Matewan.

West Virginia once trailed 4-1 in the all-time series, which dates back to 1996.

Danny “Yogi” Kinder, the current Matewan High School football coach and one of the bowl game’s founders, said West Virginia’s turnaround has been somewhat of a surprise.

“It really has,” Kinder said. “There were six or seven kids from Belfry on those teams that won back-to-back state championships. It surprised me but it’s hard to put together a team in a week. Kentucky has been so much bigger than West Virginia. I think West Virginia has had some really good skilled people. Really and truly I thought Kentucky had the best football team over the last two or three years. West Virginia just kind of outhit them.”

McDonald ran at will in last year’s game as he rolled up 205 yards on just 12 carries and scored on TD runs of 51, 51 and 47 en route to being named as the game’s offensive MVP.

“Man, he was awesome. He put on a show for us I’m telling you,” Kinder said of McDonald.

West Virginia hopes Paul McCoy can put up McDonald-like numbers in this year’s clash.

McCoy, an all-state running back from Matewan, broke the state’s single-game rushing record last fall as he rolled up more than 600 yards in a blowout win over Burch.

“I don’t know if he’s as good as McDonald. McCoy’s

really a small back, but I’ll tell you one thing, if he can get out there they will have a hard time catching him I’ll guarantee you that,” Kinder said. “Last year at Matewan it seemed like our kids blocked pretty good for him for four or five games and they just kind of quit blocking for him I thought.”

Kinder said West Virginia has also seemed to outhit Kentucky the last three years.

“I think that West Virginia will be pretty good on defense, too, because they’ve got a lot of 190-pound or 200-pound people,” Kinder said. “It’s been a defensive hitting game and I really thought that West Virginia kind of outhit them the last couple of years. Before that, Kentucky was the team that was doing all of the hitting. But usually, the team that loses this football game is the team that makes the mistakes like dropping a punt, fumbling the ball or throwing some interceptions.”

Kinder said this year’s matchup seems pretty even.

“I think both teams have got pretty good players,” he said. “We’ve got the best from West Virginia and the best from Kentucky. Last year, there was a bunch of good players but not a lot of quarterbacks. This year, there are three or four pretty good quarterbacks. That’s the first thing that you have got to have to play this game. There are three good quarterbacks from Man, Logan and Gilbert and we’ve got some good players from Wayne, which won the state championship.”

Kentucky seems to have an advantage each year in that it can draw on some of its schools which have an enrollment of 1,000 or more. None of the area West Virginia schools for the Hatfield-McCoy Bowl have that many students.

“Everyone’s got three or four good football players and when you put them all together you’ve got a pretty good football team,” Kinder said. “West Virginia is not really all that big but they have some real good backs. Kentucky’s got bigger kids. They’ve also got bigger schools over there than we’ve got over here. Wayne, Logan, Chapmanville and Scott are Double-A and the rest are just Single-A. Over there, they’ve got Belfry, Shelby Valley, East Ridge, Sheldon Clark and Johnson Central. They would all be Triple-A over here. Johnson Central is a 4A school in Kentucky. They’ve probably got more kids there than we do in all of Mingo County.

“I know they’ve got the Belfry kids and they are always good football players. I know that they’ve also got four or five kids from Johnson Central and they were undefeated last year and went all the way to the semifinals. They’ve got two or three kids that are going to play college football. Shelby Valley has a

big kid that is also going to play college football somewhere. They’ve got some pretty good players.”

The Hatfield-McCoy Senior Bowl is a continuation

of the state’s longest running senior bowl game, the Kiwanis Senior Bowl, which started in the 1950s and ran until the mid-1990s when it was canceled due to financial troubles. The K-Bowl also had problems finding housing for players coming from all over the states of West Virginia and Kentucky and was put on indefinite hiatus.

Matewan football coach Kinder reorganized the game and restarted it under the name The Hatfields and McCoys Senior Bowl and moved it from Williamson’s Lefty Hamilton Park to Matewan High’s Tiger Stadium. Massey Coal (now Massey Energy) became the game’s sponsor in 1997, its second year.

The annual game takes its name from the infamous family feud between the Hatfields and McCoys that took place in the town of Matewan and in bordering Pike County, Ky., which lies just across the bridge from Matewan.

The West Virginia All-Stars are the Hatfields, while the Kentucky All-Stars are the McCoys.

The game is always played at Tiger Stadium on the last Saturday in July.

The two teams are made up of the top 30 graduated seniors from West Virginia and the top Kentucky graduated seniors. Players are gathered from Mingo, Logan, Wayne, McDowell, Boone and Wyoming counties in West Virginia and Pike, Martin, Floyd, Johnson, Letcher and Lawrence counties in Kentucky.

The game also spotlights all-star cheerleading squads from each state. The two cheer teams will perform during the game and at halftime.

Halftime activities include the crowning of the Hatfield-McCoy Senior Bowl queen.

W.Va. hopes to keep series lead

By PAUL ADKINS, Sports Editor

Published: Friday, July 27, 2007 4:55 AM CDT

E-mail this story | Print this page

Year in a and year out the Kentucky All-Stars seem to come across the Tug River into Matewan, West Virginia, as the favorites in the annual Hatfield-McCoy Senior Bowl.

But the last three years, West Virginia has stuck it to the Bluegrass State team, winning all three games to take a 6-5 all-time series lead.

West Virginia, usually undersized as compared to the Kentuckians, has gotten the job done with its skilled position players — good quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers and defensive backs.

West Virginia has also been able to take advantage of costly Kentucky turnovers.

The Mountain State All-Stars did that last year, turning Kentucky miscues into scores and watching Man’s Andrew McDonald run all over Tiger Stadium as West Virginia won 32-19 on a dry and fast track at Matewan.

West Virginia once trailed 4-1 in the all-time series, which dates back to 1996.

Danny “Yogi” Kinder, the current Matewan High School football coach and one of the bowl game’s founders, said West Virginia’s turnaround has been somewhat of a surprise.

“It really has,” Kinder said. “There were six or seven kids from Belfry on those teams that won back-to-back state championships. It surprised me but it’s hard to put together a team in a week. Kentucky has been so much bigger than West Virginia. I think West Virginia has had some really good skilled people. Really and truly I thought Kentucky had the best football team over the last two or three years. West Virginia just kind of outhit them.”

McDonald ran at will in last year’s game as he rolled up 205 yards on just 12 carries and scored on TD runs of 51, 51 and 47 en route to being named as the game’s offensive MVP.

“Man, he was awesome. He put on a show for us I’m telling you,” Kinder said of McDonald.

West Virginia hopes Paul McCoy can put up McDonald-like numbers in this year’s clash.

McCoy, an all-state running back from Matewan, broke the state’s single-game rushing record last fall as he rolled up more than 600 yards in a blowout win over Burch.

“I don’t know if he’s as good as McDonald. McCoy’s

really a small back, but I’ll tell you one thing, if he can get out there they will have a hard time catching him I’ll guarantee you that,” Kinder said. “Last year at Matewan it seemed like our kids blocked pretty good for him for four or five games and they just kind of quit blocking for him I thought.”

Kinder said West Virginia has also seemed to outhit Kentucky the last three years.

“I think that West Virginia will be pretty good on defense, too, because they’ve got a lot of 190-pound or 200-pound people,” Kinder said. “It’s been a defensive hitting game and I really thought that West Virginia kind of outhit them the last couple of years. Before that, Kentucky was the team that was doing all of the hitting. But usually, the team that loses this football game is the team that makes the mistakes like dropping a punt, fumbling the ball or throwing some interceptions.”

Kinder said this year’s matchup seems pretty even.

“I think both teams have got pretty good players,” he said. “We’ve got the best from West Virginia and the best from Kentucky. Last year, there was a bunch of good players but not a lot of quarterbacks. This year, there are three or four pretty good quarterbacks. That’s the first thing that you have got to have to play this game. There are three good quarterbacks from Man, Logan and Gilbert and we’ve got some good players from Wayne, which won the state championship.”

Kentucky seems to have an advantage each year in that it can draw on some of its schools which have an enrollment of 1,000 or more. None of the area West Virginia schools for the Hatfield-McCoy Bowl have that many students.

“Everyone’s got three or four good football players and when you put them all together you’ve got a pretty good football team,” Kinder said. “West Virginia is not really all that big but they have some real good backs. Kentucky’s got bigger kids. They’ve also got bigger schools over there than we’ve got over here. Wayne, Logan, Chapmanville and Scott are Double-A and the rest are just Single-A. Over there, they’ve got Belfry, Shelby Valley, East Ridge, Sheldon Clark and Johnson Central. They would all be Triple-A over here. Johnson Central is a 4A school in Kentucky. They’ve probably got more kids there than we do in all of Mingo County.

“I know they’ve got the Belfry kids and they are always good football players. I know that they’ve also got four or five kids from Johnson Central and they were undefeated last year and went all the way to the semifinals. They’ve got two or three kids that are going to play college football. Shelby Valley has a

big kid that is also going to play college football somewhere. They’ve got some pretty good players.”

The Hatfield-McCoy Senior Bowl is a continuation

of the state’s longest running senior bowl game, the Kiwanis Senior Bowl, which started in the 1950s and ran until the mid-1990s when it was canceled due to financial troubles. The K-Bowl also had problems finding housing for players coming from all over the states of West Virginia and Kentucky and was put on indefinite hiatus.

Matewan football coach Kinder reorganized the game and restarted it under the name The Hatfields and McCoys Senior Bowl and moved it from Williamson’s Lefty Hamilton Park to Matewan High’s Tiger Stadium. Massey Coal (now Massey Energy) became the game’s sponsor in 1997, its second year.

The annual game takes its name from the infamous family feud between the Hatfields and McCoys that took place in the town of Matewan and in bordering Pike County, Ky., which lies just across the bridge from Matewan.

The West Virginia All-Stars are the Hatfields, while the Kentucky All-Stars are the McCoys.

The game is always played at Tiger Stadium on the last Saturday in July.

The two teams are made up of the top 30 graduated seniors from West Virginia and the top Kentucky graduated seniors. Players are gathered from Mingo, Logan, Wayne, McDowell, Boone and Wyoming counties in West Virginia and Pike, Martin, Floyd, Johnson, Letcher and Lawrence counties in Kentucky.

The game also spotlights all-star cheerleading squads from each state. The two cheer teams will perform during the game and at halftime.

Halftime activities include the crowning of the Hatfield-McCoy Senior Bowl queen.

Where was this article posted???

22-16 WV. West Virginia got a 22-0 lead early. But Kentucky scored two touch downs in the fourth. Kentucky drove the ball early in the third but a pass was ruled incomplete on fourth and goal from the five. And honestly very bad call, but WV turned it over again and Ky couldnt score again. When they scored first TD in the fourth they got the ball back because when your down 12 or more in the second half then you get the ball kicked to you when you score. They drove and scored again, which made up for the bad call earlier.

Corey Chapman lead the way for Ky and was offensive MVP and on defense Danny Hinkle from SC was defensive MVP.

Kentucky gave up the big play to much. Two big pass plays and a big punt return by Paul McCoy. Kentucky had tw turnovers. And WV had a DE from Wayne that absoloutley wore KY out. He went up against the lineman from JC most of the night who is very good and dominated him most of the night.

But overall wasnt as boring as the games usualy are and most of all no fighting. They was a few little things but refs kept it under control, Paul McCoy got mad and kicked a guy and got thrown out, for those who dont remember that is the guy who broke single game record for rushing yards against Burch, he got thrown out real late in the game though. Besides for little things that you see at most football games, it was a good clean game.

It was actually 22-14, Kentucky missed the last two point conversion attempt when the pass was dropped in the end zone. One particular Kentucky cornerback got beat on 4 consecutive passes which directly resulted in one TD and set up the other, West Virginia was never able to sustain a drive as they relied on the big play all night. After that, the coaches switched up CB's and WV never really sustained much offense.

Not only did Kentucky have what appeared to be a TD grab ruled incomplete inside the 10 yard line, but they also threw an INT on 3rd and Goal at the 3 yard line. The two KY QB's were Robert ZGannon from Phelps (who chose not to play football last season) and Nick Bowe (Missed entire season with injury, and hadn't played QB since his Sophomore year). I felt Gannon did a pretty good job but the lack of experience at the QB position was evident with Kentucky's struggles in the Red Zone as well as the inefficiency running out of the shotgun.

Belfry's Corey Chapman played an awesome game and was a very deserving Offensive MVP, as was Sheldon Clark's Hinkle who continually pressured the WV QB and also recovered a fumble.

This was an apparent down year in terms of overall talent for the Kentucky team, but the Bluegrass Boys could possibly field a dream team next year with some of the Senior's in the area that may be playing.

I could see the difficulty in the game being moved to Belfry considering Massey is the primary sponsor and the Stadium is named after CAM Mining, but nonetheless I think it would help draw a bigger turnout if the game was at least moved to a Kentucky venue every other year.

I doubt there'd be any problem with this...

Massey was also a big contributor to the Belfry athletic complex. Their name is on the back of the weight/locker room in big letters.

;)

Do they still use W.Va Refs? I know they did in summer of 2002. Matt Stone jump into the endzone (clearly on film) with about 2:00 mins. left to win or tie the game but was called down.