The truth about SEC defenses.

RowdyRedRam

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by RowdyRedRam

Because people seem to be so keen on stating that SEC offenses are underrated because of SEC defenses, I thought I'd share some facts about the SEC defenses.

You've got to tell the whole story on those numbers...

LSU- Four Schools ran over 100yrds vs LSU, only one was an SEC school.

Actually it was 5, Ole Miss had an even 100 on 44 carries, Arkansas had 298 on 298. The three non-SEC teams that ran for over a hundred yards were: La-Lafayette, Tulane, and Notre Dame. Those three teams lost by to LSU by a combined score of 135-24, the hundred yards meant nothing.100=100 not over 100. 3 out of 5 OOC foes rushed more than all but 1 SEC team.

Alabama- Hawaii passed for 350yrds. Three schools ran for over 200yrds vs the Tide only one was an SEC school.

Hawaii AVERAGE 441 Yards passing and 4 Touchdowns passing per game. They were 91 yards and 2 Touchdowns BELOW their average against Bama and Alabama won the game 25-17 against a Hawaii team that finished 11-3 and beat Arizona State and Purdue and lost to Oregon State and Boise State by a combined 10 points--they weren't a pushover. The three schools that ran for over 200 yards were: LSU (who did that to a lot of people) 211 yards in a 28-14 win over the Tide. Oklahoma State 207 in a 34-31 Cowboy win, and Duke in a 30-14 Tide win. Only 2 of the 3 were relevant and one was a BCS Bowl Winner. Hawaii proved that good offenses still play well against the SEC defenses, somthing you SEC guys say doesn't happen. The other shows agains that the OOC offenses are capable of what most SEC offenses are not.

Arkansas- USC made them look UGLY

They did get smoked in the opening game but rebounded to finish 10-4 and finished the year ranked 4th in Rushing Defense, 26th in Yards Per Game and 24th in Points allowed per game.Doesn't disprove that good offenses play well against SEC defenses.

Auburn- Represented the SEC well. But Tulane passed more on Auburn than any other team.

Tulane did throw for 283 Yards but only 1 touchdown along with an interception and it was in a 38-13 LOSS for the Green Wave. Still an OOC team that did more than any conference team.

Mississippi ST- West Virginia showed them what a Big East offense is like by running for 314yrds, the best SEC team obtained only 128.

Congratulations, WVU, you put up 314 yards on a 3-9 team that Lost to Tulane--we're all impressed. SEC teams didn't really have to run on MSU they ranked 108th in Pass Efficiency Defense.There was something to be said about every team even the bad ones.

Mississippi - Missouri put up 471 off yrds, more than any other team.

That's what should happen when the 8th ranked offense, Missouri plays the 76th ranked defense at Missouri. Missouri was 8-5 and won a bowl, Mississippi was 4-8. Of course Mississippi only allowed 283 yards to Wake Forest, a team that UL allowed 382 yards to--see how these numbers are misleading.Again an offense OOC does more than any in the conference. If Mississippi was that bad and SEC offenses are that good, how comne no one else did more.

Georgia- Best team to run against the Dawgs were the mighty Buffaloes of Colorado.

Again tell the whole story. Colorado had only 310 yards of Total offense and 2 turnovers and only 1 Offensive Touchdown in a Buffalo Loss. They also held a 10-2 Virginia Tech team to 42 Rushing Yards on 26 carries, and only 289 Total Yards along with 4 Turnovers in the Dawgs Bowl Win. They also held #16 Georgia Tech to 188 Total Yards and 1 Offensive Touchdown with 3 Turnovers in a Yellow Jacket Loss. I had to stretch on this on I agree, but the fact is the fact.

South Carolina- Wofford 290 yrds on the ground, better than any SEC team. Houston 392 passing yrds.

Wofford shouldn't have gotten that many but they only managed 67 Yards passing and most of it came in the 4th quarter after they trailed 27-10 and mounted a comeback to make it close. Houston still lost the game 44-36.More than SEC offenses, which is my point

Florida- Southern Miss averaged as many yrds per carry as the best SEC team.

Yes, but they only totaled 119 on the ground, 295 Total Yards to go along with 3 Turnovers and only 1 Offensive Touchdown in a 34-7 Gator Win.

Tennessee- Air Force had 281yrds on the ground, more than any SEC team

Air Force was 3rd in the Country in Rushing offense and the Vols still won the game. They also held Cal, which finished ranked 14th and was 9th at the time, to 18 points (the last 8 coming with 9 seconds left).Proving good offenses play well in the SEC.

Vandy- Two schools ran over two hundred yrds vs Vandy, they didn't belong to the SEC.

One was Michigan, who finished in the Top 10 and Average 175 Yards. They ran for 226 at Michigan where an 11-2 team should dispose of a 4-8 team 27-7. Don't forget Michigan scored their last touchdown with 2:11 to go and only led 13-7 with 3:00 to go in the 3rd quarter. The other was Temple who was demolished by the Commodores 43-14.

UK- Do you even want to go there, UK looked much better in conference than out of it.

I don't think even the most die hard UK fan would try and say they had a good defense as far as yards allowed, although they did play well enough to win 8 games and finished 3rd in the Country in Turnover Margin.

Winning is a combination of offense defense and special teams. I never said any of these teams were better than any other, but that OOC offenses have been more successful in offensive production then perception gives them credit for.

I get it. If a conference has good team offenses, they don't get any credit because they don't play defense, and if a conference has good team defenses, they don't get any credit because the offenses are poor.

You noticed that huh? :D

I didn't even read through the stats until now. It's more than comical if this is all you can come up with to prove how bad SEC defenses are. Most of them point out one or two games... who doesn't have a bad game here or there?
Did I say that? No I didn't. I'm pointing out that OOC teams can and have proven in many cases to have more offensive success than SEC offenses. NEVER did I say the SEC defenses are bad, they are the best in the nation.

Seriously, when you saw the thread title and the thread starter...did you have to wonder the slant that was coming?
I can respect almost every response but these kind. You want to attack the arguement, please do, that was why it was posted. You want to attack me, it makes me think you have a weak arguement.

Did I say that? No I didn't. I'm pointing out that OOC teams can and have proven in many cases to have more offensive success than SEC offenses. NEVER did I say the SEC defenses are bad, they are the best in the nation.

And I KEEP pointing out (and UofL fans KEEP ignoring) that BOTH Florida AND LSU scored MORE against TOP OOC competition than they did in the SEC, AND (just for comparison's sake) that UofL scored LESS against top OOC competition.

If SEC teams score MORE against TOP OOC competition than against SEC competition (including the weak SEC teams), then SEC defenses (even the weak ones) must be BETTER than the defenses of TOP OOC teams.

The numbers, one more time:

BCS games:

LSU - 41 (13.5 points MORE than their SEC average)

UF - 41 (17 points MORE than their SEC average)

UofL - 24 (11 points LESS than their Big East average)

Winning is a combination of offense defense and special teams. I never said any of these teams were better than any other, but that OOC offenses have been more successful in offensive production then perception gives them credit for.

I guess it's not enough for SEC teams to just win, now they have to completely destroy their opponents and send someone to the hospital. I guess that is what people expect when you are head and shoulders above the Big East.:D

And I KEEP pointing out (and UofL fans KEEP ignoring) that BOTH Florida AND LSU scored MORE against TOP OOC competition than they did in the SEC, AND (just for comparison's sake) that UofL scored LESS against top OOC competition.

So wait...First we can't gloat about a win over Wake, now they are Top OOC competition??? Make up your mind, you can't change it to better your arguement.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So let me get this straight. The thread title is "The truth about SEC defenses" and you proceed to make every negative claim possible about them. And from that we were supposed to conclude you were making the argument that the SEC defense's are the best in the nation?

So let me get this straight. The thread title is "The truth about SEC defenses" and you proceed to make every negative claim possible about them. And from that we were supposed to conclude you were making the argument that the SEC defense's are the best in the nation?

How could anyone miss that obvious conclusion? :lol: :lol:

No, what you were supposed to conclude is that for nearly every team in the SEC an OOC opponent put up better offensive numbers than in-conference foes. Sorry you missed that one.

But where could you ever get that ??:laugh: :laugh:

Yet another spin :rolleyes: and still predictable. :jump: :D

No, what you were supposed to conclude is that for nearly every team in the SEC an OOC opponent put up better offensive numbers than in-conference foes. Sorry you missed that one.

No one is missing anything here. It is fairly obvious. The title of the thread, the cuts, the backtracking -imo all has been explained perfectly. :sleep: