Magic Will Allow Donovan to Return to Florida...

Hangman

From what I can tell Orlando is stalling to see what they can do. He's getting out of the contract by most likely tomorrow...

I don't see it like that...Orlando can do what they want. Having said that, I agree that Donovan will be at UF...but not until when and if Orlando says so...

Edit - unless you mean see what they can do about convincing him that Orlando is where he should be...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see it like that...Orlando can do what they want. Having said that, I agree that Donovan will be at UF...but not until when and if Orlando says so...

Edit - unless you mean see what they can do about convincing him that Orlando is where he should be...

:thumb: I don't see how he could get out of it with out Orlando saying so. That said, he will be back in Florida if he really wants to simply because Orlando won't want a coach who doesn't want to be there.

:thumb: I don't see how he could get out of it with out Orlando saying so. That said, he will be back in Florida if he really wants to simply because Orlando won't want a coach who doesn't want to be there.

I'm assuming he could resign, but he'd probably face a hefty "buyout" type penalty.

Orlando is going to let him out. They are seeing what they can get out of it...

Orlando is going to let him out. They are seeing what they can get out of it...

And you can't blame them.........They thought they had signed an up and comer, but he apparently has split personalities and the latest one did'nt realize he had taken the Magic job......:creepy:

He apparantly loves Flordia so much, I don't see why this would be a big deal to him.

I was thinking when I was reading it how it could help him in the "job security" department in the recruiting game...

I was thinking when I was reading it how it could help him in the "job security" department in the recruiting game...

That is a rather reassuring statement you could throw out to recruits. Only way Donovan is willing to leave Florida within the next five years would be because of some sort of controversy... in other words, they could miss the tourny in probably all 5 of those years and his job is safe (might be a stretch, but you know what I mean).

Orlando is just trying to get something out of the deal. The Five Year thing might be as good as it is going to get. It would be best from a PR (and logical) standpoint to just take the high road and cut ties. If he does not want to be there and his heart is not in it, they will not make him stay, nor should they.

Great post! I could not agree with you more here!!! The fact that Donovan is pulling this move is very "bush league" and has 0% to do with the fact that I am a UK fan! :thumb:

While this is an unfortunate incident for everyone involved, I can't imagine Donovan doing this with evil intentions. I think it took a lot of him to admit that he might have made a hurried decision or a decision he is not 100% sold on. I can't speak for anyone but myself on this, but I know I have made decisions where I wish I had the fortitude to retract my actions or words but didn't. Do you think it would be a wise move to continue on a path when after one step you realize that the course may not be the best after all?

I think nothing but the best of Donovan and this incident has given me another reason to respect him. It takes a man to admit he was wrong, it takes a coward to hide behind a message board and judge one's actions without knowing everything involved.

:cool:

While this is an unfortunate incident for everyone involved, I can't imagine Donovan doing this with evil intentions. I think it took a lot of him to admit that he might have made a hurried decision or a decision he is not 100% sold on. I can't speak for anyone but myself on this, but I know I have made decisions where I wish I had the fortitude to retract my actions or words but didn't. Do you think it would be a wise move to continue on a path when after one step you realize that the course may not be the best after all?

I think nothing but the best of Donovan and this incident has given me another reason to respect him. It takes a man to admit he was wrong, it takes a coward to hide behind a message board and judge one's actions without knowing everything involved.

:cool:

You are right. We should be praising Donovan for how he has handled this situation.:dancingpa :dancingpa

Looking back, my first post on the subject was irrationale. If Donovan wanted to come back to Florida, I have no problem with it. If he agreed in principle to the deal, only to back out, I'd have no problem with it. If he coached there a year, realized it wasn't for him, or just wanted to go back to UF, I'd have no problem with it. The thing that irks me about the whole situation is that he signed the dang contract. If he had any doubts at all, don't sign the dang thing. Tell them you accept, sleep on it over the weekend, and then once you've let everything sink in, sign the deal. The way he handled this situation is completely pathetic IMO. Donovan may get a lot of love from the guys from Gainesville and the likes of Dicky V, etc., but I have a feeling his image is going to take a major hit around the country. I understand he most likely would never consider another move to the NBA, but I'd be willing to bet he never gets approached for another job in his life.

I understand what you are saying. The contract is only as good as the people agreeing to it. I think it is a similar situation when people want to restructure their contract. But saying that is contradictory. Anybody who has signed a contract says that I will do this, for this amount of time, for this amount of money.

But if things happen that could possibly change the contract, then the two sides get together and either agree to restructure or not. If Orlando agrees to let him out, then they both agree to the same action of Donovan leaving.