Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Magic Will Allow Donovan to Return to Florida...

Featured Replies

Funny how back when we had Tubby, Billy D was just this excellent guy and outrageous coach... and now everyone is glad we didnt get em...

  • Replies 105
  • Views 13.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So then Tubby should still be the UK coach?

 

 

Not really....He stayed there and honored his contract for 10 years. Completely different IMO. If Billy D. had been with the Magic a year and decided it wasn't for him, I wouldn't care. To do it after only 72 hours is just plain wrong. Obviously, the team hasn't changed, so why back out?

If you sign a contract, make a commitment, you honor that contract and that commitment. I'm sorry, but that is the way every profession in life should operate!!!
If this is the case and alot of people are now saying this to be the case.

 

Does that mean that the University can not fire him in this time either?

 

If they can, then your argument is out the door.

Not really....He stayed there and honored his contract for 10 years. Completely different IMO. If Billy D. had been with the Magic a year and decided it wasn't for him, I wouldn't care. To do it after only 72 hours is just plain wrong. Obviously, the team hasn't changed, so why back out?

But that's not what spe690 said.

 

He said that if you sign a contract you should honor it, period.

 

Tubby left before his contract expired. So again I'm asking spe690 if he believes that Tubby should still be coaching at UK?

But that's not what spe690 said.

 

He said that if you sign a contract you should honor it, period.

 

Tubby left before his contract expired. So again I'm asking spe690 if he believes that Tubby should still be coaching at UK?

 

Do I believe that Tubby should still be at UK, NO. There comes a time in a persons' career that they have to make a choice, and the time for Tubby came before his contract expired. This is not a thread about Tubby Smith though. It is about someone not even taking on his job after agreeing to all of the terms and SIGNING a contract. Had he been offered the job, said no, then it wouldn't be an issue. But he apparently thought about what he was going to do, pretended to be excited about the situation, had a press conference, and now is wanting out before he even steps on the practice floor. Do you really see Donovan as doing nothing wrong All Tell??? Like UKMustang said, had he been with the team for a year, decided that the NBA wasn't for him, and then decided to go back to the college ranks then I would see nothing wrong with that. You shouldn't jump to any decision. It is obvious that Donovan should have taken some time and decided what he really wanted to do!

No what I really see is another double standard.

 

Once again I've not one time said that what Donovan did was right.

 

BUT I find it amazing what some of the thing that UK fans here and elsewhere are saying about him while being able to justify similar actions that benefit UK.

 

BUT I find it amazing what some of the thing that UK fans here and elsewhere are saying about him while being able to justify similar actions that benefit UK.

 

Example of a similar action?

Do I believe that Tubby should still be at UK, NO. There comes a time in a persons' career that they have to make a choice, and the time for Tubby came before his contract expired.
So, someone should be required to honor their contract if it benefits UK? :rolleyes: You can only contradict yourself so many times...
No what I really see is another double standard.

 

Once again I've not one time said that what Donovan did was right.

 

BUT I find it amazing what some of the thing that UK fans here and elsewhere are saying about him while being able to justify similar actions that benefit UK.

 

All Tell, you are comparing Apples to Oranges here. Tubby was at UK for 10 seasons, some of which were amazing seasons and others weren't so great, but Tubby represented the University of Kentucky with the upmost respect. A lot of people have bashed Tubby and so forth, and do I agree with that? No, I do not. Tubby Smith did what was best for himself and for the University of Kentucky and I wish him the best of luck at whatever he does! Now, back to the original subject of the thread, Billy Donovan. Donovan is a great coach, a great recruiter, and a joy to watch on the sidelines of college basketball. If he comes back to Florida, personally, I'll be excited! I feel that he won't be a great success in the NBA, but I could be wrong. My case with Donovan, is that he SIGNED A CONTRACT and before stepping one foot onto the court with his team, has made the decision to back out of the contract that he signed and agreed upon. I'm sorry if you disagree here, but to me, thats just not right!

So, someone should be required to honor their contract if it benefits UK? :rolleyes: You can only contradict yourself so many times...

 

How am I contradicting myself? Tubby Smith served the University of Kentucky with great class, things started to get rough for both parties involved, and he decided to move on. Like I said to All Tell, the situation between Tubby and Donovan is like comparing an apple to an orange.

How am I contradicting myself? Tubby Smith served the University of Kentucky with great class, things started to get rough for both parties involved, and he decided to move on. Like I said to All Tell, the situation between Tubby and Donovan is like comparing an apple to an orange.
They both broke contracts. Did they not?
How am I contradicting myself? Tubby Smith served the University of Kentucky with great class, things started to get rough for both parties involved, and he decided to move on. Like I said to All Tell, the situation between Tubby and Donovan is like comparing an apple to an orange.
Just to remind you what you said.

If you sign a contract, make a commitment, you honor that contract and that commitment. I'm sorry, but that is the way every profession in life should operate!!!
There were no qualifiers in here...that's a contradiction.

 

You say it's ok for Tubby to break his committment b/c it was in his and UK's best interest. Why is BD not allowed to make the same decision?

98, come on. Are you really trying to compare Tubby's 10-year tenure in Lexington and Billy's 10-minute tenure in Orlando?

 

I think it makes Billy look bad, I think it makes Orlando look bad, and I think it is a move that isn't forgotten. Who can forget Wally Backman's Diamondback tenure, O'Leary in Notre Dame, Cremins in SC? I thought it was "bush league" when Altman pulled this on Arkansas and I think it is equally "bush" for Billy to pull it on Orlando.

 

If I resigned today to take a job at XYZ Company, and was introduced to the new Company in my role, I would have ZERO expectations that my current employer would take me back 3 days later. You have to do a better job of evaluating all sides (pro and con) to this before making the leap. That goes for him, me, you, anyone for that matter.

 

Good for him that Florida is taking him back, but painting my dislike for the way it was handled as anything related to my UK fan-dom is 100% off-base.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.