Top 10 Reds Needs

In another thread Homeless Camel and I were discussing Reds needs to win more. Thought it would be interesting, since the Reds games are not, to discuss what are the Reds top 10 needs IN ORDER of how important they are to be filled.

1. Closer

2. Left hand pitcher that can play the role of setup man.

3. Right hand pitcher that can play the role of setup man.

4. #1 starter

5. #4 starter

6. Clutch hitter that plays in the outfield and will drive in 120 runs.

7. Clutch hitter that plays in the infield and will drive in 110 runs.

8. Bullpen pitcher for the 7th inning or situational spots.

9. Manager to challenge the players

10. #2 hitter that can put the ball in play and allow the manager to Hit and Run, steal an occassional base and a OB % that hovers around .400

I know Weathers isn't a Trevor Hoffman, but he is a decent closer. Who knows if everyday Eddie would ever come back to top form.

I guess we have to wait and see how Coutlangus and Salmon develop. Coffey's problems have been well documented. Stanton isn't doing much, would be nice for the Reds to have another lefty in the pen.

I would agree that Arroyo and Harang seem like solid #2 pitchers, at least so far this year. BUT I think that either one are good guys to go to break a losing streak, at least they are capable.

We will see over time how Hamilton develops and will be interesting if the Reds stick with their farm system to replace Griffey or if they bring in a free agent. Dunn's situation will be played out at the end of this year. Maybe E-5 will develop into a 100 RBI guy. He had 72 last year. Phillips had around 70 RBI last year.

If I had to pick needs, I would say:

1. Bring in a new guy/younger guy to replace Stanton. A lefty would be nice, but those can be hard to find.

2. If you can't find a #1 starter, just find someone who can be #4 and give Lohse his walking papers. Saarloos may not be a long term solution, but he could be a decent #5.

3. Dunn's contract situation, long term or will he be gone. If he leaves, at worst you have money to spend on a decent replacement.

4. A true leadoff hitter, Freel and Phillips swing for the fence too much. I think Phillips could be a solid #2 hitter.

I'm sure I will think of more later, that's the best I can think of for now.

Pitching....been saying it, for ever. Get rid of some of the role players, who are starters.

I also believe, the Reds are going to get better, much better, since most teams have streaks and the Reds, are on the losing side right now.

1. A power hitting first baseman

2. Outfielders that can catch the ball and not strike out.

3. A Catcher that can hit for average and throw out runners and handle pitchers.

4. A third baseman that can hit and field.

5. A pinch hitter that can bunt and hit for average.

6. Four more starting pitchers.

7. A Closer.

8. A Manager who can manage.

9. A middle relief pitcher that can spot start.

10. No injuries.

1. A power hitting first baseman

2. Outfielders that can catch the ball and not strike out.

3. A Catcher that can hit for average and throw out runners and handle pitchers.

4. A third baseman that can hit and field.

5. A pinch hitter that can bunt and hit for average.

6. Four more starting pitchers.

7. A Closer.

8. A Manager who can manage.

9. A middle relief pitcher that can spot start.

10. No injuries.

So you want the Boston Red Sox? I don't know if that would be a good trade for them. :p

If I was the reds manager, I would do, A LOT, to the team.

1. I would keep all the outfielders, Dunn, Freel, and Griffey, but I would change a lot up in the infield. I would trade or release David Ross first of all.

2. I would trade and get a good young shortstop,BJ Upton, Jorge Cantu, Bobby Crosby.

3. I would sign 3 good bullpen pitchers.

4. I would move Saarloos and Lohse to the bullpen, and trade to get two good solid pitchers.

5. I would get a new shortstop, and probaly a new first baseman.

1. I would keep all the outfielders, Dunn, Freel, and Griffey, but I would change a lot up in the infield. I would trade or release David Ross first of all.

2. I would trade and get a good young shortstop,BJ Upton, Jorge Cantu, Bobby Crosby.

4. I would move Saarloos and Lohse to the bullpen, and trade to get two good solid pitchers.

Good luck.

Since you're keeping around the largest bulk of your salary, any idea where you'd get the additional $25-30M to accomplish all this? "Good solid starting pitchers" aren't real cheap. Getting rid of Ross is a great idea. He's a waste. But since we don't have any meaningful backup - and it dang sure ain't Moeller - you're going to have to spend on that also. Add another $5M.

Sorry, but if anyone wants to buy any pitching or power hitting first baseman - or really anything else - you need to pick between Dunn and Griffey. Keep both and you keep the Reds on the same exciting path they are currently following.