$3.30

Sportz Addict

I bought gas for 2.00 in January and now it is 3.00. If anything else went up 50% the government would be on them and make them make a change. The cost of gas is starting to affect the cost of other items as well.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:sleep: :lol: Yeah, I'm super rich and I work for an oil company :rolleyes: . It's amazing what happens when you flash a little common sense.

Funny how you dodged my comments on how their profits are more then cost of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan huh?

Their profits are doubled if not tripled of what we spent on education in the US in a year.

According to you just let them keep making the profits huh? Like they need it. Wake up. :sleep:

In NKY... $3.40 in parts of Cincinnati. $4.00 will be here shortly. What used to be $2.50 7 months of the year now will be $3.00.

3.29 here in the Raceland/Ashland area :madman: .

and we thought that you had to go to a hospital to get a colonoscopy!!:scared: :scared: :D

New Refineries, New Refineries, New Refineries, New Refineries, New Refineries, New Refineries, New Refineries, New Refineries, New Refineries, New Refineries, New Refineries, New Refineries....

:thumb: :thumb: Drill Alaska!!!!!

Funny how you dodged my comments on how their profits are more then cost of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan huh?

Their profits are doubled if not tripled of what we spent on education in the US in a year.

According to you just let them keep making the profits huh? Like they need it. Wake up. :sleep:

:sleep: I didn't dodge anything. Your argument is absurd. What is your point? Maybe we should tell Wal-Mart and General Electric to stop making money too because the government is spending more money on Iraq. :rolleyes: And how are you coming up with your figures? Are you adding all gas companies profits together? Because I can add any number of retailers or other corporate profits together all day long.

:sleep: I didn't dodge anything. Your argument is absurd. What is your point? Maybe we should tell Wal-Mart and General Electric to stop making money too because the government is spending more money on Iraq. :rolleyes: And how are you coming up with your figures? Are you adding all gas companies profits together? Because I can add any number of retailers or other corporate profits together all day long.

Been reading along, I'm guessing you're good with gas prices jumping even as oil prices are not then?

I bought gas for 2.00 in January and now it is 3.00. If anything else went up 50% the government would be on them and make them make a change. The cost of gas is starting to affect the cost of other items as well.
Give me an example where that has happened, because I can't think of one that did not violate an existing law.

New Refineries, New Refineries, New Refineries, New Refineries, New Refineries, New Refineries, New Refineries, New Refineries, New Refineries, New Refineries, New Refineries, New Refineries....

Actually, this excuse is worn out. Improvements and expansion to existing refineries since 1976 kept all of them producing more and more every year, until 2005, now Congress is starting to look into why they all are generating at a less than 90 percent capacity all the sudden. If the existing refineries were producing at a 95 percent clip (which they did throughout the 90's) gas would be about $2.00 per gallon.

What your asking goes against the American free market system does it not? In a true "free market" there is very minimal government intervention. Directly and indirectly oil prices are driven by demand.....and last I checked I haven't seen the faintest waver in the demand for gasoline(with our fascination with fuel sucking SUVs and trucks). Supply or lack thereof (scarcity) also plays a significant role in determining price. Oil is a nonrenewable resource, and it would only make sense that the more we use, the more valuable the remaining oil would then become. Honestly, we've been sitting on top of the world in this regard for some time. The gas prices abroad in Europe and elsewhere have been well over 4 and even 5 dollars a gallon for some time now. The good news is that necessity is the mother of invention and innovation........at some point we will find sustainable alternatives.

What your asking goes against the American free market system does it not? In a true "free market" there is very minimal government intervention. Directly and indirectly oil prices are driven by demand.....and last I checked I haven't seen the faintest waver in the demand for gasoline(with our fascination with fuel sucking SUVs and trucks). Supply or lack thereof (scarcity) also plays a significant role in determining price. Oil is a nonrenewable resource, and it would only make sense that the more we use, the more valuable the remaining oil would then become. Honestly, we've been sitting on top of the world in this regard for some time. The gas prices abroad in Europe and elsewhere have been well over 4 and even 5 dollars a gallon for some time now. The good news is that necessity is the mother of invention and innovation........at some point we will find sustainable alternatives.
I agree, but I don't think it's that complicated. They raised the price last year until we cried OUCH, kept it there during the driving season (summer), then edged it back down. When it was observed that the demand did not decrease, but in fact increased, they decided to go beyond last year. Simple economics.

I agree, but I don't think it's that complicated. They raised the price last year until we cried OUCH, kept it there during the driving season (summer), then edged it back down. When it was observed that the demand did not decrease, but in fact increased, they decided to go beyond last year. Simple economics.

This sounds a lot more like price gouging than economics to me. Call it what it is.

Actually, the government does regulate other natural resources companies, like the gas and eletric company nationwide. Water and sewage rates are also regulated, as are landline phone rates.

For that matter, many local governments regulate hotel room rates to prevent price gouging during special events. Like say, the government could do during driving season. ;)

Can't use this as an excuse. Every gas station in the country has plenty of gas everyday, it's not like we're having to ration. Oil is readily available, and our country's oil reserve is full. Demand may be high, but it's not like there's no supply. It's there for an outragious price.