Who will lead the Reds in Batting Average? Will it be over .300?

First, your argument is weak IMO. A stat isn't antiquated just because it's been kept for over a century, that doesn't make any less pertinent. Secondly, HR's only count for one RBI, the majority of all RBI's are due to your teammates being on the sacks. HR's count for 1 run, therefore, the other runs that make up the majority of all totals are directly related to your teammates driving you in. And the fact that there's an award gives some merit to my argument, you must admit.

You've been reading Billy Bean's blog, haven't you?

I'm not alone in this thought. Many baseball statisticians agree with me, as well as almost every knowledgeable baseball poster on here.

Again, you never answered my question.

Your argument is that they give an award for it it must be legit ,and you're calling my argument weak?

If you're looking for a singular regularly used number, OBP means much more to me than avg.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not alone in this thought. Many baseball statisticians agree with me, as well as almost every knowledgeable baseball poster on here.

Your argument is that they give an award for it it must be legit ,and you're calling my argument weak?

If you're looking for a singular regularly used number, OBP means much more to me than avg.

Great, I'm glad you're an OBP fan, it is proportional to BA. And are you lumping yourself in with knowledgeable baseball posters, or excluding? I will answer your question if I can find it. What is your question, was it good year or bad year? I'd say good year. Simply all of the #'s your in love with are proportional to BA no matter how you like to downplay it. I didn't say anywhere that an award legitimizes the stat, only pointed out there is no OBP crown. It hasn't become part of the quadruple crown unless I missed it somewhere.

Great, I'm glad you're an OBP fan, it is proportional to BA. And are you lumping yourself in with knowledgeable baseball posters, or excluding? I will answer your question if I can find it. What is your question, was it good year or bad year? I'd say good year. Simply all of the #'s your in love with are proportional to BA no matter how you like to downplay it. I didn't say anywhere that an award legitimizes the stat, only pointed out there is no OBP crown. It hasn't become part of the quadruple crown unless I missed it somewhere.
What kind of trophy do you get for that Triple Crown?

What about BA?

What kind of trophy do you get for that Triple Crown?

What about BA?

there's a great argument for your support of the sorry useless Batting Average stat. But to humor you, I have no idea what the triple crown trophy looks like, there hasn't been one lately! But let's not forget, an award does not an important stat make!

Obviously, I agree, but why do you think it's a no brainer? He's never hit .300 in his career. I just think he's the only one capable right now.

Because he is a solid hitter who plays in a hitter's park and only (mostly) faces righties. He hit .289 last year, his first in the NL, so his familiarity with the pitchers should give him a .15 bump.

So.........can OBP also be an over-rated stat since Adam Dunn led the Reds in OBP in 2004 and 2005? For example, should he be driving in runs instead of just getting on base?

So.........can OBP also be an over-rated stat since Adam Dunn led the Reds in OBP in 2004 and 2005? For example, should he be driving in runs instead of just getting on base?
Sure it can. I think the runs produced stat and OPS are the two most viable ones to go by.