Who will lead the Reds in Batting Average? Will it be over .300?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hamilton will hit under .270. I'd think Phillips will be in the .277 to .282 area.

I think this is a no-brainer: Hatteberg will end the season in the .305 - .310 range.

I don't see anyone on this team except MAYBE Hatteberg that is capable right now of hitting .300.
Obviously, I agree, but why do you think it's a no brainer? He's never hit .300 in his career. I just think he's the only one capable right now.

They were close last year. How many guys hit .300?
I'll hel pyou, there was one. Aurilia.

I don't think your "rule" or what ever you want to call it matters. Batting Average means, really and truly nothing. It's the most over rated baseball stat of ALL TIME.

I don't think your "rule" or what ever you want to call it matters. Batting Average means, really and truly nothing. It's the most over rated baseball stat of ALL TIME.

That is just silly. I would love to hear the logic behind that.

Very true...it doesn't mean much...

That is just silly. I would love to hear the logic behind that.
I don't have time to get into in depth. But if someone hits .220. Has 45 HR's and 130 RBI, scores 115 runs and walks 100 times and has a OBP% of .355 and a SLUG% of 480.

Good or Bad year?

This question answers yours much easier than me explaining it.

I don't have time to get into in depth. But if someone hits .220. Has 45 HR's and 130 RBI, scores 115 runs and walks 100 times and has a OBP% of .355 and a SLUG% of 480.

Good or Bad year?

This question answers yours much easier than me explaining it.

Frankly, the other stats hinge at varying degrees to BA. And not to mention that if you did some analysis on the #'s I'd guess that an increase in BA and the other #'s are directly proportional in the overwhelming majority of cases. When they start giving out awards for OBP, perhaps I'll come around to your point of view.

Frankly, the other stats hinge at varying degrees to BA. And not to mention that if you did some analysis on the #'s I'd guess that an increase in BA and the other #'s are directly proportional in the overwhelming majority of cases. When they start giving out awards for OBP, perhaps I'll come around to your point of view.
Batting average is an antiquated stat that literally means nothing. There are no stats in baseball that are not directly proportional to another.

You didn't answer my question above.

so you're basing your argument on the fact that they give out an award?

What's the batting title trophy look like?

I'll go one step further as to why that is hooey. Batting average and walks are the only stat that you affect directly (without any help). Runs, RBI, all hinge on your teammates.
You don't get credit for a Run or RBI with a HR?

You don't get credit for a Run or RBI with a HR?

First, your argument is weak IMO. A stat isn't antiquated just because it's been kept for over a century, that doesn't make any less pertinent. Secondly, HR's only count for one RBI, the majority of all RBI's are due to your teammates being on the sacks. HR's count for 1 run, therefore, the other runs that make up the majority of all totals are directly related to your teammates driving you in. And the fact that there's an award gives some merit to my argument, you must admit.

You've been reading Billy Bean's blog, haven't you?