What is the first gun you owned?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am jealous, that is a gun that I have always wanted firebird, imo a person cannot beat a browning A-5 ;) . One of if not the best guns ever made - JMO.

I love a 16ga. and would love to run across a "sweet 16" browning A-5 one of these days (and be able to afford it, they are a bit expensive :eek: )

:thumb: I was fortunate that it was like many other guys on here are referring too, a gun that my father had. A lot of good memories are with it.

• 2 weeks later...
My first gun came this past Christmas in the form of a 1959 J.C. Higgins 12 gauge with polley choke (from my In-Laws) . I also have a Remington 870 Express Magnum 12 Gauge.

I think those Higgins guns were all sold by Sears Roebuck & Co back in the day weren't they?

Did your Father In Law buy it new?

Yes they were produced for Sears. No it is not new but in very good condition for a gun that old. I shot it on christmas day, and it is very accurate. I asked my grandfather about the gun, and he said it was a gun that was made for the working man. Very affordable yet had the accuracy to do the everyday hunting. My gun has a scratch on the barrel about 3 in long. It looks like it was set against a barb-wire fence and then slid off. It also has a small mark on the stock. The gun seems to have very good balance to it. The only draw back is you can't shoot slugs in it because of the choke. He bought it off of a family member that salles guns as a hobby and he told him it was a nice little gun to shoot clay pigeons and rabbits with which is what we mainly do with my son.