Honest UK Question

With the results of the UCONN exodus....

With Durant heading out....

With the OSU class heading out..

With the new NBA rules that the top players are most likely going to be one year and gone...

What should UK's recruiting focus be? Do they go after the Durant and Oden, have them for a year and take that success knowing that a huge hole is going to be there and the following year may be a serious dip in the success (UConn not even getting a NIT bid)?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best situation would be a combination of 3 or 4 year players with a couple of lottery picks in the mix. Once you proved your guys make it to the pros it shouldn't be too hard to fill those holes.

Sounds like the UNC roster.

I think you need both. Look at our teams from the 90s. We had Delk, Epps Padgette, Shepherd, Pope, and Turner just to name a few who stayed 4 year and created a stable program. We also we had players like Mashburn, Walker, Mercer, and Mohammed that went early but took us to a higher level. It is a delicate balance. Otherwise you can get a feast or famine situation like UConn. Although it was a pretty good feast up there.

Still try to get the top draft picks. If you can prove that you can recruit the top guys in the country, it will attract other top recruits in teh next class to come as well. If you get 3 to 4 solid recruits with 1 or 2 being a lottery pick, the other 2 or 3 staying will help the yougner guys come in and keep building up your program.

Imo in today's game you probably need a "lottery pick" but my personal opinion is that a 3 to 4yr. guy that is a good player, athlete and person. The superstars are nice to have but I would want a foundation of Players that were with me for more than 1 and done or 2 and out.

Imo in today's game you probably need a "lottery pick" but my personal opinion is that a 3 to 4yr. guy that is a good player, athlete and person. The superstars are nice to have but I would want a foundation of Players that were with me for more than 1 and done or 2 and out.

Very true but I think that the one and done players can also attract better quality 4 year guys.