April 12, 200719 yr Author Very true but I think that the one and done players can also attract better quality 4 year guys. In baseball, the common complaint when free agency first came in was that you had no team loyalty because players were moving in and out of the teams so frequently. As collegiate basketball evolves, it will be interesting to see if fans begin to feel the same way. And which schools/coaches will prostitute themselves out for one season of success while others prefer to build for multiple seasons of success.
April 12, 200719 yr I think you have to get the best players you can and let the chips fall where they may.
April 13, 200719 yr Always try to get the best players--regardless of how long you think they'll stay. :thumb:
April 13, 200719 yr I think you go after the best players available every single year - regardless of what they might do professionally. If you have those players coming in every season, it won't really matter. UCONN's problem is that they failed to plan ahead...
April 13, 200719 yr I think you go after the best players available every single year - regardless of what they might do professionally. If you have those players coming in every season, it won't really matter. UCONN's problem is that they failed to plan ahead... UConn's problem is that God is smiting Calhoun for being a general idiot.
April 13, 200719 yr If I were King, to play in the NBA, NFL, or MLB would require a 4 year degree from a college or university, or equivalent experience (4 years playing in minor league, developmental league, or overseas.) You have to have it to be an engineer, accountant, teacher, lawyer, ....., etc. Why not require it for a career in sports. This discussion would not be needed. Of course I'm not King, either.
April 13, 200719 yr I think you have to get the best players you can and let the chips fall where they may. Bingo...
April 13, 200719 yr I think ideally you get a class with a mix of a star or 2 that may not stay around very long, and players who are very solid 4 year guys who will really bring in a great attitude and work ethic. I honestly think Tubby's last recruiting class (Meeks, Jasper, etc) would have been pretty ideal if we would have gotten Brandan Wright.
April 13, 200719 yr I think you have to get the best players you can and let the chips fall where they may. Exactly, if you get the top players then the next year recruiting class will be better than if you struggle a year or two then let 3 year veterans build a team. I'm not for a 3 year plan. If a team wins a championship then usally the following years class if also primetime because every player wants instant success in case they are deciding just to stay one year also. A championship ring would look shine a little brighter if a player had to turn in a resume to get into the NBA.
April 13, 200719 yr UConn's problem is that God is smiting Calhoun for being a general idiot. :laugh: :laugh:
April 13, 200719 yr Get the best players possible each year. Even if they only stay a year or two, future recruits will enjoy watching them play, what would hopefully be an uptempo style. Maybe they make it to the final 4. And it never hurts a coach to have NBA lottery picks under his belt. That is a BIG reason nobody wanted to play for Tubby.. 2 first round picks in 10 years.
April 13, 200719 yr You always need a couple solid guys to build your team around who are going to stay the brunt of the four years. However, if you can consistently get and reload a couple of one and done or two and gone guys, then do it. We've all seen what a couple of superstars can do for a college squad, so why not take that chance? I mean like said, you need the backbone to be the solid talent who is going to stay, but a superstar here and there isn't necesarily a bad thing.
April 13, 200719 yr Get the best players possible each year. Even if they only stay a year or two, future recruits will enjoy watching them play, what would hopefully be an uptempo style. Stop expecting an up tempo game from Gillespie. It's not his style...
April 13, 200719 yr Stop expecting an up tempo game from Gillespie. It's not his style... Some of our fans will never get it. Billy Clyde will play the style that most fits his players and give them the chance to win. I don't care what style is played as long as it is a winning style. I think most of our fans on here only remember the Pitino years. I have been a fan for 40+ years and to say UK has always been an up tempo style of play, tells me most don't even know about UK history. They only remember 8 or 9 years.
April 13, 200719 yr Stop expecting an up tempo game from Gillespie. It's not his style... He's not a run-and-gunner, but I think his style will be more entertaining than Tubby's.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.