Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Honest UK Question

Featured Replies

He's not a run-and-gunner, but I think his style will be more entertaining than Tubby's.

 

I agree with that. Up and down a little more with more emphasis on taking care of the basketball.

  • Replies 52
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
He's not a run-and-gunner, but I think his style will be more entertaining than Tubby's.

Fans won't care if wins are being produced. If it is the Loyola-Marimount style but double digit losses result, they will want a new coach. The UK fans have shown that winning, going to the Final 4 and winning national championships are the most important things to them.

He's not a run-and-gunner, but I think his style will be more entertaining than Tubby's.

The only thing drastically different is more half court trapping on D. You'll see a bit more motion on offense, but he relied on Law in isolation a lot at A&M. The style of play is very similar to Tubby, but it's executed with more energy...

GT, do you think that might be a reflection of the energy displayed by the coach?

GT, do you think that might be a reflection of the energy displayed by the coach?

Yes...

  • Author
The only thing drastically different is more half court trapping on D. You'll see a bit more motion on offense, but he relied on Law in isolation a lot at A&M. The style of play is very similar to Tubby, but it's executed with more energy...

Please explain the bold. Not sure I am following what you are trying to say.

Please explain the bold. Not sure I am following what you are trying to say.

You won't see 25 seconds of dribbling between the circles before a play is initiated. It's a similar system with more movement but a lot of the same principals. You'll still see the pick and pop or pick and roll off a high ball screen but the ball will be worked around more early in the clock. Gillespie also seems more inclined to tweak the system based on skill sets where as Tubby just plugged players in to run what he wanted. On defense he is more inclined to pressure the ball with half court traps and his teams are more active in the passing lanes. It's just a slightly more up tempo philosophy of the same system...

  • Author
You won't see 25 seconds of dribbling between the circles before a play is initiated. It's a similar system with more movement but a lot of the same principals. You'll still see the pick and pop or pick and roll off a high ball screen but the ball will be worked around more early in the clock. Gillespie also seems more inclined to tweak the system based on skill sets where as Tubby just plugged players in to run what he wanted. On defense he is more inclined to pressure the ball with half court traps and his teams are more active in the passing lanes. It's just a slightly more up tempo philosophy of the same system...

Thanks for the view. As I have said from the beginning, I know little of Gillespie.

 

Offensively, I wonder if that is by design or by personnel. I wonder if we will still see similar things because the present personnel at UK have not lived up to the hype IN BIG BALLGAMES and it won't matter which coach it is, they will still want to dribble around.

 

Defensively, I love aggressive defense but appreciate good defense of any sort.

The only thing drastically different is more half court trapping on D. You'll see a bit more motion on offense, but he relied on Law in isolation a lot at A&M. The style of play is very similar to Tubby, but it's executed with more energy...

 

Which makes all the difference and will ultimately result in a more entertaining style, IMO. Plus, I think Gillispie will give his offensive players more freedom than what it seemed they often had under Tubby. I don't think his style is drastically different, but there are still some differences that I think will result in a more exciting style...more energy, more offense, a little more freedom for star players, etc...it wouldn't take much to play a more exciting style than Tubby though, so who knows how much that is saying. :D

You won't see 25 seconds of dribbling between the circles before a play is initiated. It's a similar system with more movement but a lot of the same principals. You'll still see the pick and pop or pick and roll off a high ball screen but the ball will be worked around more early in the clock. Gillespie also seems more inclined to tweak the system based on skill sets where as Tubby just plugged players in to run what he wanted. On defense he is more inclined to pressure the ball with half court traps and his teams are more active in the passing lanes. It's just a slightly more up tempo philosophy of the same system...

 

That's a huge difference from Tubby, IMO...adjusting things to fit your talent is something Tubby rarely, if ever, seemed to do. It was always one of my biggest complaints...you're loaded with guards with no big men, yet you insist on playing half-court, pound it inside offense...why not start more guards, up the tempo and try to maximize and utilize your talent? It would allow you to be the aggressor more often than the alternative, which is important in basketball. If you can dictate how the game is played, you have made a big step toward winning...I realize that going small exposes you inside, but when your big men are basically wasting space, you're being exposed inside anyway. Plus, you're keeping your talent off the floor.

 

I don't think we'll see as much of that from Billy G...I think he'll try to get the most talent on the floor and make teams try to match up with him instead of the opposite. At least, I think he'll do that to a larger degree than Tubby did.

That's a huge difference from Tubby, IMO...adjusting things to fit your talent is something Tubby rarely, if ever, seemed to do. It was always one of my biggest complaints...you're loaded with guards with no big men, yet you insist on playing half-court, pound it inside offense...why not start more guards, up the tempo and try to maximize and utilize your talent? It would allow you to be the aggressor more often than the alternative, which is important in basketball. If you can dictate how the game is played, you have made a big step toward winning...I realize that going small exposes you inside, but when your big men are basically wasting space, you're being exposed inside anyway. Plus, you're keeping your talent off the floor.

 

I don't think we'll see as much of that from Billy G...I think he'll try to get the most talent on the floor and make teams try to match up with him instead of the opposite. At least, I think he'll do that to a larger degree than Tubby did.

:thumb:

Stop expecting an up tempo game from Gillespie. It's not his style...

 

Gillispie has already said several times that he doesnt necessarily have a style. He plays whatever tempo is best for his personnel. With that being said stop pegging a style on him until you see him coach teams that are different and see what they do.

Gillispie has already said several times that he doesnt necessarily have a style. He plays whatever tempo is best for his personnel. With that being said stop pegging a style on him until you see him coach teams that are different and see what they do.

I've watched him at his last two stops and the principals are always the same. I noted that he's better at tweaking it to his personnel but that it's always rooted in the same philosophy. Stop telling me what I know, and you'll be fine...

I've watched him at his last two stops and the principals are always the same. I noted that he's better at tweaking it to his personnel but that it's always rooted in the same philosophy. Stop telling me what I know, and you'll be fine...

 

This is college. There is no principals at Texas A&M or UTEP. Maybe Deans. :walk:

 

As I have said before he does not coach a particular style. He adjusts to his personnel.

As I have said before he does not coach a particular style. He adjusts to his personnel.

And I know you are wrong. But thanks for playing...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.