Huntington High 103 South Charleston 61

There are winners and loser in basketball and life - how you win and lose is what makes you and OJ wins WITHOUT CLASS, so I would hate to see how he does when he loses.

I can only imagine how you would be if he were a product of Ashland and not Rose Hill

In regard to winning and losing, I would refer you to The Baron's response to Grantland Rice's statement on the subject.

As for your last sentence, I, on the other hand, can only imagine the response of you dissenters if Mayo were going to Tubbyville instead of USC. I think much of the hostility stems from the fact that he never, ever considered UK- even as a sixth grader.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Thank God for that. He is one less headache for us fans to worry about.

Surely, you don't think that, in light of UK's recruiting history of late and their prospects for success this year, I believe you are serious. Remember, the storied UK tradition was built by Adolph Rupp and not by Grantland Rice.

I watched every game in the tournament and he wont ride the pine lol. And it was for hanging on the rim they called it, the ref was onto him all game, they didnt like him. But this team did put on a show, and the way they played int he tourney no KY team could have beat them. Patterson was the leading scorer the first game. WV tournament is awesome, I have been to Kentucky and WV and WV is so fun, you would be suprised, I seen alot of Kentucky folks at the games.

Get real!! He dunked during the game, got the ball and threw it into the crowd!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That gets you technicals. That is not a ref picking on a player. If his HS career wasn't over it would earn him yet another suspension. The kid has great talent. I wish he would get over some of the antics he pulls and showcase the talent.

I have found one consistency in the six years of Mayo debate on BGP. Those who don't know him and who have never come into contact with him are the ones who find fault with him. I cannot remember seeing a negative post about him from anyone who actually knows him.

I would submit that that is a significant fact.

I have met OJ and coached against his teams and you will find my earlier posts always have taken up for him. While in Kentucky I never found him to be anything but a class act and no doubt the most talented player we will see in high school around here. However, his latest actions should cause concern about certain character traits he seems to be developing. He will no doubt be a star. I just hope he is a star we read about only in the context of his basketball talents.

I'm going to play devil's advocate. Could it be that his recent lapses in "good conduct" (which is usually in the eyes of the beholder) are merely "prepping" for the NBA? After all, the conduct of many NBA "stars", both on and off the court, is less than exemplary. How is that for good spin?

Seriously, OJ needs to fully realize that he is a nationally known and heralded athlete. Because of this, he will always have people trying to hang on, hang around, and get a piece of his limelight and his treasure. History has shown that this has been the case since he was 12 years old. I hope the incident in the old Cadillac has finally taught him that he must be careful or he can wind up like Melvin Turpin.

As for the dunk and the throwing of the ball, it is much ado about nothing. It was harmless and, in fact, thoroughly appreciated by all in attendance. I sure didn't hear any "boos".

I think much of the hostility stems from the fact that he never, ever considered UK- even as a sixth grader.
No, it has more to do with his repeated scrapes, seemingly selfish attitude and the actions of his handlers.

It's true that many would overlook that stuff if he had signed with UK, but there are plenty of other reasons that people are tired of the O.J. soap opera.

I'm going to play devil's advocate. Could it be that his recent lapses in "good conduct" (which is usually in the eyes of the beholder) are merely "prepping" for the NBA? After all, the conduct of many NBA "stars", both on and off the court, is less than exemplary. How is that for good spin?

Seriously, OJ needs to fully realize that he is a nationally known and heralded athlete. Because of this, he will always have people trying to hang on, hang around, and get a piece of his limelight and his treasure. History has shown that this has been the case since he was 12 years old. I hope the incident in the old Cadillac has finally taught him that he must be careful or he can wind up like Melvin Turpin.

As for the dunk and the throwing of the ball, it is much ado about nothing. It was harmless and, in fact, thoroughly appreciated by all in attendance. I sure didn't hear any "boos".

You must have been on the HHS side then...The point is, it would be different if this was a kid who rarely got to do things like this. Mayo has been dunking since 8th grade, you would think after 5 years he would be able to act like he has been there before. This was classless, and you really can't blame the kid, he is a 19 yr old kid, he is in high school. The coach is the person that has shown no class, this is his decision to keep his best player in the game up by 40+. That is wrong, it doesn't matter if noone cared or if everyone was entertained, do you really think the kids in the other uniforms were entertained? Being down by 40 late in the game and seeing the National Player of the year, still in the game and pulling a stunt like that entertained them? That is just showing up a team.

In whose eyes would most of his recent activities not been seen as bad conduct?

You must have been on the HHS side then...The point is, it would be different if this was a kid who rarely got to do things like this. Mayo has been dunking since 8th grade, you would think after 5 years he would be able to act like he has been there before. This was classless, and you really can't blame the kid, he is a 19 yr old kid, he is in high school. The coach is the person that has shown no class, this is his decision to keep his best player in the game up by 40+. That is wrong, it doesn't matter if noone cared or if everyone was entertained, do you really think the kids in the other uniforms were entertained? Being down by 40 late in the game and seeing the National Player of the year, still in the game and pulling a stunt like that entertained them? That is just showing up a team.

Your post has much merit.

Close, 6th grade. And I'm sure he's aware of his "status" here and abroad. And I'd guess that he may have done that at the end of the game as an exclamation point to end the soap opera. Say what you will, but all of us geniuses have no idea the burdens he carries as well. There's something to be said for anonymity, which has escaped him since he played for the Huntington Red in the youth league many years ago. So, with one swift violently graceful play he put an end to the soap opera, to which we'll never see the sequel in this area again. I'm sure there are those who hope for and can't wait for his demise at the next level and beyond, but for me,,,,I wish him enormous success.