Losing your final game

For many seniors around kentucky and everywhere around the world, there always comes a time when you must lose or win your final game. For some young men when they step on the court for the first game of their senior season, they know that they proabably don't have a chance of making it to Rupp, but still love to play the game. Some players start their season with a very positive attitude and realize that they in fact do have a chance at going to the big dance. For all you seniors out there, you know what i mean. Basketball in Kentucky is very competitive and highly praised. For some it's life. Basketball helps some into college, with scholarship opportunities and for those great players, a career in the NBA. Not many people make it to the NBA and everyone must realize this, as hard as it may be. So for all those seniors that did lose their final game, go on with life and don't harp over the loss, there is much more to life than basketball. For those fortunate enough to win the regional title or even state, where ever you may be from, take that win and keep it with you for as long as you may. Basketball is truly the best sport, especially in Kentucky!

I remember losing my final game, first game of the 33rd in '92, very sad to know you will never lace them up again.

I lost in the regional championship my senior year. It was absolutely devastating for me. I didn't know what to do. Because Bell County, like a lot of programs does stuff almost year around as far as the season, spring and fall workouts, AAU, pickup games etc. Basketball had consumed most of my time and now it was over.

But eventually you just learn to enjoy pickup games and get into leagues. I would give anything to have gotten to Rupp, but what I really miss is being on a team with my good buddies and all the fun we had.

I lost in the regional championship my senior year. It was absolutely devastating for me. I didn't know what to do. Because Bell County, like a lot of programs does stuff almost year around as far as the season, spring and fall workouts, AAU, pickup games etc. Basketball had consumed most of my time and now it was over.

But eventually you just learn to enjoy pickup games and get into leagues. I would give anything to have gotten to Rupp, but what I really miss is being on a team with my good buddies and all the fun we had.

:thumb:

Same team, year, and everything.

I stuck around Bell Co. that year to get to Rupp b/c with the team we had there was no excuse not to make it in the 13th. Huge disappointment to get beat in the regional finals.

I've told the story before. But I played at St. Henry and in 2001 the 9th Region was stacked. I had never had the chance to play in the Regionals but we knew we had a good shot.

I was playing the best I had ever played at the varsity level, offensively and defensively. We played Conner in the semifinals of 33rd district, winner goes to regionals. It was a classic game, too bad it took place in the district semifinals.

The district tourny was held at St. Henry that year and we took Conner to OT. Andrew Vieth hit a shot in the corner with 2tics left to tie the game in OT. Conner ran the "home run" play for Terry Johnson, a legit transfer student from IN. He caught the ball, turned and fired from just inside the 3pt line, with 2 players in his face (one being me), and banked it in.

Conner went on to lose in OT or double OT in the regional finals that season to Highlands. Heartbreaking loss for us. Tough way to end a HS career.

I have to say that I was satisfied with the ending of my career. Making it to the regional tournament had always been our number one goal.

To have the bad legacy of my younger days erased by one game was the greatest feeling.

I would have liked to continue on through the regional tournament, but when all was said and done, making it there was glory enough for me.

One of the worst ways for a senior to go out was Jesse Thompson at Scott COunty last year. Scott County was favored to win and had the game put away in the regional finals. Then Duane Fields of Central hit a last second 3 to win the game.