CovCath 102 Beechwood 43

I don't think they were running up the score. They just weren't missing shots. Reserves were just beating up on the Beechwoods best. What was he supposed to do, dress the freshman team (who won the region) also. You can't tell kids this late in the season to quit playing hard and quit shooting, especially reserves trying to get in the good graces for next season.

Did the freshman Romes get in the game for CCH? I am refering to Michael Romes brother who is at CCH, I saw he was dressing for this game.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a Beechwood grad but I will ask the question, did CCH run up the score?

I know how good CCH is and I realize Class A basketball in NKY is not very good but this is a lot of points and I have to wonder if there isn't a subplot or two I am not aware of here?

There's a team over in Alexandria that might argue this point, along with NCC, St. Henry (who beat CCH) and Holy Cross?? Four of the top 10 in NKY final poll were single A--I'd argue the weakness might be in the large school brackets (Ryle, Dixie, Conner, Campbell, Highlands, Boone, etc.) are all average to weak teams this year?? How about a little more love for the NKY small achools?? :thumb:

The first time they played, in the season, Cov. Cath won at Beechwood, 73-38.

Sounds like some match-up problems for BW against CCH, although I hope they weren't pressing in the 4th quarter up 60?? Maybe Brossart woke them up after Friday night, as it sounds like they came out with a vengence??

I am a Beechwood grad but I will ask the question, did CCH run up the score?

I know how good CCH is and I realize Class A basketball in NKY is not very good but this is a lot of points and I have to wonder if there isn't a subplot or two I am not aware of here?

I was there for both games...and I must tell you, as bad as it looks, this was not a 'message', an 'axe to grind', or bad sportsmanship. For CCH: Grimes never saw the floor; the other startes played approximately half the game; some less; they did not press after the middle of third when the big run took place; the tried to play 2 x 3 zone in the fourth, but got a couple quick bust outs on that, and went back to mtm....the leading scorer has averaged like 5 minutes all year (Roll); the jv kids were dressing for the first time played almost as much as the starters. Beechwood gave a great effort for about 2.5 quarters and still found themselves down a couple dozen; then just went through the motions for the rest. This is just one of those years where one team is up a little, and the other is just not having a great go at it...(aka Total mismatch)

and...by the way...CCH has lost like 6 games? St Henry, Brossart are two of them...and NC was no picnic; so the a schools are doing fine imo

In no way was I implying CovCath was running it up. I just reported what I heard from someone at the game. I really could not tell you who starts for CovCath I just know Mr. Listerman is not that kind of coach to run it up. I was just answering the GURU's post. If someone took me wrong I apologize for that. JD

I asked someone I think very highly of and he told me this about the game:

They definitely ran up the score. They were shooting threes with less than a minute left. There are certain things you do when you have a lead like that (tell your kids to pass six times before shooting, don't shoot threes, don't score fast-break points, keep a foot in the lane at all times on defense, etc.). CovCath did none of those things. It was disgraceful.

They definitely ran up the score. They were shooting threes with less than a minute left. There are certain things you do when you have a lead like that (tell your kids to pass six times before shooting, don't shoot threes, don't score fast-break points, keep a foot in the lane at all times on defense, etc.). CovCath did none of those things. It was disgraceful.

If they had shot 2s instead, would that have been any better? Or are advocating a "no shot" policy for the JV boys that get in?

As long as Coach L had all of bench in the game and was not running a full court press in the 4th, the rest is all good with me (and I've been on the other end as a player, a parent, and/or a coach).

I wonder if it impacted BW enough to realize that when they have the opportunity, back off and show some sportsmanship! I have seen with my own 2 eyes a couple games where they (either with or without directives) have had Hall in late shooting 3's, have continued to break, and scored mercilously on some inferior team's reserve players. Every dog has their day

From all accounts, it was the JV players & other players with little to no varsity experience doing this. I have no problem with this. It's basketball, and if you can't stop them you're going to get beaten...sometimes badly.

FWIW, I don't feel that there is such a thing as "running up the score" when it is potentially you're last game of the season.

I was at the game and they didnt run the score up at all. If you have your jv team in against the other teams varsity and they were not pressing. I dont consider that running up the score. Cov Cath couldnt really miss a shot. I am very suprised with the lack of talent Beechwood has in Basketball.