What is the basis of Lent?

Most American Catholics blow off what is called for by (I believe) Canon 1252 & 1253. On days of fasting, one eats only one full meal, but may eat two smaller meals as necessary to keep up one's strength. The two small meals together must sum to less than the one full meal.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most American Catholics blow off what is called for by (I believe) Canon 1252 & 1253. On days of fasting, one eats only one full meal, but may eat two smaller meals as necessary to keep up one's strength. The two small meals together must sum to less than the one full meal.
For some reason, I was thinking the "one full meal" part of it was only for Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

I thought that Lent was where you gave up something for 40 days, like I am giving up fast food!

Lent has always been about the fast. Giving up parts of your sinful behavior during the 40 days was later added in as a way to become more spirtual. That somehow evolved into our current giving up something I don't want to give up.

I thought that Lent was where you gave up something for 40 days, like I am giving up fast food!
It is. It also involves abstaining from meat on Ash Wednesday, and all the Fridays of lent. There's more to it than even that though. It's also a time of prayer and self-sacrifice in the form of giving to others.

40 days before Easter. Some churches observe it as a time for soul searching (shouldn't we soul search all the time?) and showing their true desire by giving up something for the 40 days. This might come from the 40 days that Jesus spent fasting. I see nothing wrong with it, but if I was going to do it. I'd fast the 40 days.

There is nothing in scripture discussing Lent. Except where you have loaned someone something.

Easter, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday are also non scripture terms, but I think they are OK to observe. Doesn't really matter what I think.

Easter, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday are also non scripture terms, but I think they are OK to observe. Doesn't really matter what I think.
Not just "ok"--good and proper. If you fail to observe Lent properly, it does make you a bit less of a Christian, but I think The Lord will find a way to forgive you.

I'm pretty sure I taught this class in this forum last year. :D

Seriously...I'm way too busy this year to re-teach. I'm at this point now:

If you don't want to observe, that's fine. If it's not "legitimate" in your eyes, because of a perceived lack of strict scriptural reference, that's fine too.

It's a huge part of the faith that I practice. I'm proud to do so, despite what aspersions others may attempt to cast.

Thank you, and have a nice day. :D

Not just "ok"--good and proper. If you fail to observe Lent properly, it does make you a bit less of a Christian, but I think The Lord will find a way to forgive you.

I'm pretty sure I taught this class in this forum last year. :D

Seriously...I'm way too busy this year to re-teach. I'm at this point now:

If you don't want to observe, that's fine. If it's not "legitimate" in your eyes, because of a perceived lack of strict scriptural reference, that's fine too.

It's a huge part of the faith that I practice. I'm proud to do so, despite what aspersions others may attempt to cast.

Thank you, and have a nice day. :D

Preach on brother and sister, even though they won't listen. I'm with you both. :thumb:

No, it's heresy. :p

LBBC, catechumens are those studying scripture and the Catholic faith in preparation for baptism and/or confirmation of the faith. It comes from the Greek "catechumenos" which means "instructed."

No, it's heresy. :p

LBBC, catechumens are those studying scripture and the Catholic faith in preparation for baptism and/or confirmation of the faith. It comes from the Greek "catechumenos" which means "instructed."

The word actually predates the historic Catholic church and can be embrassed by Catholics and Protestants alike. It's just a word for teaching preparation, usually in regards to Christian commitment.

Does Ash Wednesday have Scripture foundation?

I understand that for whatever reason the number 40 has great Scriptural importance.

Can you expand on who the Catacumens were?

Like most any Christian Church activity there is little Scripture example because the NT Scriptures were written within the first 100 years of the church as church practice and dogma began.

Ash Wednesday derives its origins from what I've already mentioned in the previous post and from the scriptural understanding that "we are but dust and to dust we shall return." It is the practice of humility that is being exercised in taking on the mark of the cross on your forehead.

The 40 comes from Jesus' personal journey in the wilderness culminating in the three Temptations from Satan.