Dixie Chicks....so much talent...

RockPride

Seems to me you generalize everything new that comes out as being equal in talent or lack there of to the above listed names.

No, that's just what you've led yourself to believe after allowing your feelings to get hurt too often when I tell my opinion about music.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting rid to post something similar. JS doesn't like them and they are just some no talent, industry driven music act.

There are a great many talented artists out there. However, it seems most of the pop and pop-country charts is filled with industry creations like Shania Twain.

I would be interested to know JS's view of Carrie Underwood.

To be honest, I had no clue who she was until the whole Tony Romo thing. Apparently, it seems she is wildly popular. That means I have probably heard her music in passing, but found it to be unremarkable and not worthy of further investigation.

Music and the movies have alot in common. Twenty years ago, at the movies, the same movies were on for months, not so today , every week they are popping new movies out with bad scripts, bad acting. It is all about the money. Not good movie making anymore. Every once in a while a good movie will come out but not very often.

The same is true for music. Every week Cashville is putting out these artists that cant really sing or write. It is all about the Money. Its about the right look. Once again that is not to say that there arent any good new comers out there but over all the market is too flooded with talent that has not been properly groomed.

C'mon BF, you know what I mean — don't apply my general statement to each individual case.

And besides, you surely aren't going to tell me that pop-country stars don't take on a "flavor of the month" quality? Nashville is always looking for "the next big thing," and the way Nashville operates, that next big thing makes it at the expense of someone else.

How do you make a "general" statement and then apply it only on occasion?

Nashville looks for the next big thing, because they know what's popular. And why is it popular? Because most people like it.

Why do they go for what's popular? Because it sells -- that's money. And despite any illusion of higher ideals, that's the name of the game.

But if I like music that a lot of people like, that doesn't make me prone to be fickle. And it doesn't mean that I (or anyone else) can't be as supportive or passionate about my choices as you are about your's.

I guess I just don't see why the quality of music should be judged by it's popularity -- or, in this case, lack thereof.

Nashville looks for the next big thing, because they know what's popular. And why is it popular? Because most people like it.

Why do they go for what's popular? Because it sells -- that's money. And despite any illusion of higher ideals, that's the name of the game.

But if I like music that a lot of people like, that doesn't make me prone to be fickle. And it doesn't mean that I (or anyone else) can't be as supportive or passionate about my choices as you are about your's.

I guess I just don't see why the quality of music should be judged by it's popularity -- or, in this case, lack thereof.

Good post.:thumb:

You and 98 have fallen into an unfortunate way of thinking w/re to my tastes in music. I don't automatically dismiss something just because it's popular. I may question why it's popular. But just because it's popular doesn't mean I think it's rubbish. For Chrissaakes, I'm listening to The Beatles right now.

All I'm saying is far too many people in this world — and only you know if you do or don't fall into this category — don't look beyond what's popular, despite the fact that there are countless great artists out there who are fantastic and fantastically overlooked simply because they don't fit into some narrow, corporate-defined box.

The whole "low album sales" thing is a misnomer. Their most recent album debuted at No. 1 and has sold more than 2 million copies. It may be less than what, say, "Wide Open Spaces" sold, but they have traded in fickle, trend-driven country "fans" for a new fan base in the public radio/left of the dial world who will be far more supportive and passionate over the long haul.

So they're not able to sell out Rupp anymore. Big deal. Concerts at big joints like that usually suck anyway because there's A) too many people and B) it's too expensive and C) the sound quality is always inferior to what you would get in a proper music hall. They'll still sell out places like Taft and The Palace 15 years from now, whereas if they remained beholden to the country-pop industry they would probably be forced out to pasture in a couple more years anyway after they got "too old," the way the industry did to Johnny Cash and Loretta Lynn and those types.

Dissing this unremarkable president — no matter where it happened — will probably turn out to be a good career move in the long term, regardless of short-term losses. Kind of like taking a better, less-stressful job even though it might not pay as much.

Yeah who would all those pesky fans anyway buying your music, making the artist play big venues, putting lots of money in their pockets, and then dropping them like a hot potato when the next big thing comes along.

I see your point Jim. :D

Well I guess I'm taking a chance of getting booooooooooooed off of BGP today but I like the Dixie Chicks. I bought their CD and I love it!!! I do wish they would learn how to act when they get an award but other than that, I think they have the right to say whatever they want just like the rest of the country does.
You are absolutely right. They have the right to say whatever they want as far as politics goes. I also have a right not to listen, just like the rest of the country.;)

When I speak of "Nashville" in this context, it's referring to the pop-country music industry. And they use the same tactics that mainstream pop uses, the same ones that brought us lowlights such as 98 Degrees, Britney Spears, The Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys and other hacks whose only talent is they are aesthetically pleasing.
Hmmmm. Do i detect a hint of the same attitude and snobbery you accuse GWB and his "underlings" of . Sounds like music snobbery to me:D