Dixie Chicks....so much talent...

RockPride

I used to be a big fan of their music. I even have one of their CDs. :sssh: But Natalie's actions, combined with her subsequent arrogance regarding the incident, have really turned me off.

This has absolutely nothing to do with her "right" to free speech. It's about her ability to exercise it with grace, decorum, and civility. Casting shame on your country's leader on foreign soil is shameful. She has a "right" to say what she wants; but it should be done in the proper setting and in a dignified manner.

She failed to show respect for the presidency, and her country. I think she knows that; but has taken on this hard-nose attitude to try to rationalize her actions.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be a big fan of their music. I even have one of their CDs. :sssh: But Natalie's actions, combined with her subsequent arrogance regarding the incident, have really turned me off.

This has absolutely nothing to do with her "right" to free speech. It's about her ability to exercise it with grace, decorum, and civility. Casting shame on your country's leader on foreign soil is shameful. She has a "right" to say what she wants; but it should be done in the proper setting and in a dignified manner.

She failed to show respect for the presidency, and her country. I think she knows that; but has taken on this hard-nose attitude to try to rationalize her actions.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Very nicely done, BF!!! I think you put into words very eloquently what the rest of us were trying to say.

Quite simply your best post....though I wish you would've asked before you just cut and paste my PM to you :lol:

j/k

Way to go CHICKS.....you sure silenced a lot of first ammendment haters.

The First Amendment is freedom from government restriction of speech, not your own stupidity. If you make comments that offend the people buying your records and concert tickets, don't complain when they stop buying them.

You know, they have a right to freely speak, but what really irks me is when everyone "turned against them" they cried they were being treated unjustly. You can say whatever you want but if you say something that 95% of your country music audience disagrees with and they stop buying your records...IT'S YOUR OWN FAULT!

:thumb:

Personally, I think w/re to the whole "they said it on foreign soil" ya-ya, there are two camps:

A) Those who genuinely were offended because of where Maines said her critical words about this current president and

B) Those who were just upset the group would dare criticize the administration, and used the whole "they said it on foreign soil" as a convenient excuse to hide behind.

I believe most of America falls in category B, but respect that some of you do fall into category A. You know which one you lie in.

Personally, I think w/re to the whole "they said it on foreign soil" ya-ya, there are two camps:

A) Those who genuinely were offended because of where Maines said her critical words about this current president and

B) Those who were just upset the group would dare criticize the administration, and used the whole "they said it on foreign soil" as a convenient excuse to hide behind.

I believe most of America falls in category B, but respect that some of you do fall into category A. You know which one you lie in.

She had no business saying it and definitely no business saying it there. And I would say the exact same thing if it were Bill Clinton. Simply shameful.

I think quite a few people are in category C: Those who supported the losing candidate, and only excuse her actions because they welcome any chance to put down this particular president.

Question, BF, is freedom of speech limited to American citizens on American soil? Or does it apply to Americans on foreign soil? Does an American lose their right to freedom of speech if they travel abroad?

Another question, many "regular" Americans criticize the President and his Administration, should they also expect to incur financial losses and blows to themselves personally...whether in the form of scathing contempt or impugned reputation?

Question, BF, is freedom of speech limited to American citizens on American soil? Or does it apply to Americans on foreign soil? Does an American lose their right to freedom of speech if they travel abroad?

Another question, many "regular" Americans criticize the President and his Administration, should they also expect to incur financial losses and blows to themselves personally...whether in the form of scathing contempt or impugned reputation?

I'll refer back to my earlier post. This doesn't have a single thing to do with anyone's "rights." It's about doing the "right" thing. ;)

Most people (me included) aren't questioning her right to do what she did. We're questioning her choice to do so.

I'll refer back to my earlier post. This doesn't have a single thing to do with anyone's "rights." It's about doing the "right" thing. ;)

Most people (me included) aren't questioning her right to do what she did. We're questioning her choice to do so.

And, my question is, right or wrong, we all enjoy the right to choose what we say, and when we say it.

So, you're saying that if she chose to say what she said, say here in Kentucky, no one would be nearly as upset?

So, you're saying that if she chose to say what she said, say here in Kentucky, no one would be nearly as upset?
I don't know. I can't speak for everyone. Myself, I think I would have a little more respect for her choice.

Taking politics out of it for a second -- what if Marty Brennaman went to a Mets game and announced that he was ashamed that the Reds were in Cincinnati? Would he not expect repercussions for exercising his right to free speech in this way?

I don't know. I can't speak for everyone. Myself, I think I would have a little more respect for her choice.

Taking politics out of it for a second -- what if Marty Brennaman went to a Mets game and announced that he was ashamed that the Reds were in Cincinnati? Would he not expect repercussions for exercising his right to free speech in this way?

Sure, as can anyone who makes a controversial statement. But, would he receive the same outrage, or more, if he did it at an Expos game?

I guess I think it's a cop-out to say that because she was on foreign soil, her comments drew the ire of her "fans". Because, truth be told, I think that her comments would have drawn the same outrage from the same people, regardless of where she said them. I think that when confronted with the "freedom of speech" mantra, people then try to qualify their outrage by claiming the "foreign soil" rhetoric. It's an easy way to sort of justify their outrage.

Sure, as can anyone who makes a controversial statement. But, would he receive the same outrage, or more, if he did it at an Expos game?

I guess I think it's a cop-out to say that because she was on foreign soil, her comments drew the ire of her "fans". Because, truth be told, I think that her comments would have drawn the same outrage from the same people, regardless of where she said them. I think that when confronted with the "freedom of speech" mantra, people then try to qualify their outrage by claiming the "foreign soil" rhetoric. It's an easy way to sort of justify their outrage.

I have no problem with them saying it at all. I feel that they lacked prudence as to when and where. There are a number of Americans that are particular about things like that. It is similar to the "If you are going to say it, say to my face" mentality. I think that is the underlying theme behind those unhappy about it being said on foreign soil.

Me, I have no problem with anyone criticizing the president or any public figure for that matter.