Vitale/ Duke/UNC

TigerKat

Dickie said that he did a poll on his website about the best rivalries in all of sports and that the Puke/UNC game is the biggest in all sports. Bigger than the Yankees/Redsox or the Packers/Bears.

Question about his idiocy? How many real sports fans visit his site to vote. If the poll was done anywhere that sports fans go it would not be close. I enjoy watching teh game no doubt but the best rivalry is a joke.

PS Mike Patrick is the worst announcer in basketball. He is such a homer the other coaches in the ACC that have to play Duke all the time should say no more until ESPN does something with him and Dukie V.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, if you don't think it's #1, what is? Think about the components of a rivalry:

1) Tends to be some dislike between the two teams and their fanbase.

2) Games are almost always good, regardless of the type of season the teams are having

3) National implications and interest

4) Players have a genuine attachment to the rivalry. To the extent that some would say that if they could win ANY game that year, it would be that one.

And I know they're more, but that's off the top of my head.

I'd have a hard time putting ANY pro rivalry ahead of a college one because when you get down to it, those guys are getting paid to do what they do, so emotional attachment to a "rivalry" is lessened. Additionally, in the free agency era the names on the back of the uniforms change so often that there is rarely any true emotional attachment to the team, and as such rarely any attachment to the rivalry. The Red Sox/Yankees "rivalry" is huge to their fanbases, but true loyalty is shown very often when you see players going back and forth between them. If Damon or Clemens had been that loyal to the Red Sox, why would they have ever put on a Yankees jersey? Could you have seen J.J. Redick deciding to transfer to UNC?

Eliminating pro rivalries, I focus on the the college rivalries. In that respect, I think a few stand out:

OSU/Michigan Football

UNC/Duke Basketball

Tennessee/Florida Football

Louisville/Kentucky Basketball

Oklahoma/Texas Football

Texas/Texas A&M Football

Personally, I think it's between OSU/Michigan and UNC/Duke.

I don't know, if you don't think it's #1, what is? Think about the components of a rivalry:

2) Games are almost always good, regardless of the type of season the teams are having

4) Players have a genuine attachment to the rivalry. To the extent that some would say that if they could win ANY game that year, it would be that one.

I'd have a hard time putting ANY pro rivalry ahead of a college one because when you get down to it, those guys are getting paid to do what they do, so emotional attachment to a "rivalry" is lessened. Additionally, in the free agency era the names on the back of the uniforms change so often that there is rarely any true emotional attachment to the team, and as such rarely any attachment to the rivalry. The Red Sox/Yankees "rivalry" is huge to their fanbases, but true loyalty is shown very often when you see players going back and forth between them. If Damon or Clemens had been that loyal to the Red Sox, why would they have ever put on a Yankees jersey? Could you have seen J.J. Redick deciding to transfer to UNC?

Eliminating pro rivalries, I focus on the the college rivalries. In that respect, I think a few stand out:

OSU/Michigan Football

UNC/Duke Basketball

Oklahoma/Texas Football

Texas/Texas A&M Football

Wow, being a FSU man such as yourself, I can't believe you left out FSU/UM.

Wow, being a FSU man such as yourself, I can't believe you left out FSU/UM.

I try and leave my emotions out of a discussion such as this. FSU/Miami is a relatively new rivalry in comparison to the rest of these, and it's not as nationally important as it used to be. But it is pretty big. I thought about FSU/Florida as well.

My favorite quote last night was when Mike Patrick said "Clearly Duke is getting better." I can't think of better indicator of improvement than having your school's longest losing streak in 10 years. :D

Mike Patrick falls all over himself to compliment Duke. Many times its warranted, but he can go above and beyond. Fortunately he and Vitale were up in the rafters at Cameron or play would have had to be stopped several times to wipe up the drool on the floor.

My favorite quote last night was when Mike Patrick said "Clearly Duke is getting better." I can't think of better indicator of improvement than having your school's longest losing streak in 10 years. :D

Sometimes you have to look outside the "BUN :lol: . . . But Duke is 100% better than they were early in the year....they have lost 6 games, and were in all of them late, except Marquette, nothing wrong with that, especially this season.

OSU/Michigan Football

UNC/Duke Basketball

Oklahoma/Texas Football

Texas/Texas A&M Football

I like that list, but I'd add one more game to it...Auburn vs. Alabama (football obviously :D ).

There is no other basketball rivalry, college or pro, that comes close to Duke/UNC, in my opinion. There are a lot of great football rivalries that are heightened due to the setup of college football, with a loss being so costly and they only play once per year, as opposed to the 2, and often times 3 games that UNC and Duke play. I'm not sure what rivalry I'd rate as #1, but I'm pretty sure that Duke/UNC would crack my top 3 at the least.