Vitale/ Duke/UNC

TigerKat

Mike Patrick falls all over himself to compliment Duke. Many times its warranted, but he can go above and beyond. Fortunately he and Vitale were up in the rafters at Cameron or play would have had to be stopped several times to wipe up the drool on the floor.

It's in his contract to do so. :D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, if you don't think it's #1, what is? Think about the components of a rivalry:

1) Tends to be some dislike between the two teams and their fanbase.

2) Games are almost always good, regardless of the type of season the teams are having

3) National implications and interest

4) Players have a genuine attachment to the rivalry. To the extent that some would say that if they could win ANY game that year, it would be that one.

And I know they're more, but that's off the top of my head.

I'd have a hard time putting ANY pro rivalry ahead of a college one because when you get down to it, those guys are getting paid to do what they do, so emotional attachment to a "rivalry" is lessened. Additionally, in the free agency era the names on the back of the uniforms change so often that there is rarely any true emotional attachment to the team, and as such rarely any attachment to the rivalry. The Red Sox/Yankees "rivalry" is huge to their fanbases, but true loyalty is shown very often when you see players going back and forth between them. If Damon or Clemens had been that loyal to the Red Sox, why would they have ever put on a Yankees jersey? Could you have seen J.J. Redick deciding to transfer to UNC?

Eliminating pro rivalries, I focus on the the college rivalries. In that respect, I think a few stand out:

OSU/Michigan Football

UNC/Duke Basketball

Tennessee/Florida Football

Louisville/Kentucky Basketball

Oklahoma/Texas Football

Texas/Texas A&M Football

Personally, I think it's between OSU/Michigan and UNC/Duke.

Nice counter statement... I agree with you :thumb: .. I have UNC/Duke #1 and OSU/Michigan #2...

College b.b. - Duke/UNC

College football -#1 OSU/Mich. then there is others such as Okla/Tex. - Bama/Auburn - FSU/UM - Fla/FSU

Pro Sports - Yankees/Red Sox

Overall - OSU/Mich. - football

Duke/UNC - basketball

Those two are far above all others, JMO.

I don't know, if you don't think it's #1, what is? Think about the components of a rivalry:

1) Tends to be some dislike between the two teams and their fanbase.

2) Games are almost always good, regardless of the type of season the teams are having

3) National implications and interest

4) Players have a genuine attachment to the rivalry. To the extent that some would say that if they could win ANY game that year, it would be that one.

And I know they're more, but that's off the top of my head.

I'd have a hard time putting ANY pro rivalry ahead of a college one because when you get down to it, those guys are getting paid to do what they do, so emotional attachment to a "rivalry" is lessened. Additionally, in the free agency era the names on the back of the uniforms change so often that there is rarely any true emotional attachment to the team, and as such rarely any attachment to the rivalry. The Red Sox/Yankees "rivalry" is huge to their fanbases, but true loyalty is shown very often when you see players going back and forth between them. If Damon or Clemens had been that loyal to the Red Sox, why would they have ever put on a Yankees jersey? Could you have seen J.J. Redick deciding to transfer to UNC?

Eliminating pro rivalries, I focus on the the college rivalries. In that respect, I think a few stand out:

OSU/Michigan Football

UNC/Duke Basketball

Tennessee/Florida Football

Louisville/Kentucky Basketball

Oklahoma/Texas Football

Texas/Texas A&M Football

Personally, I think it's between OSU/Michigan and UNC/Duke.

IRON BOWL - Bama vs. Auburn - that has to be one of the biggest rivalries. Some just can't understand.

I think UNC/Duke has a greater nationwide interest than UK/UL (I still remember and loved the mouse commercial a few years ago with Wojo) but for sheer passion, until Coach K switches and coaches at UNC, it is hard to match how badly UK/UL want to beat each other for the schools AND the coach. The Pitino factor does it for me.

I think UNC/Duke has a greater nationwide interest than UK/UL (I still remember and loved the mouse commercial a few years ago with Wojo) but for sheer passion, until Coach K switches and coaches at UNC, it is hard to match how badly UK/UL want to beat each other for the schools AND the coach. The Pitino factor does it for me.

:thumb: I agree, ther UK/UL rivalry has always been huge but it just magnified when Tricky ricky went to U.L..