Jim Hicks back on the Bench at Greenup County?

I don't know if it's true or not, and really don't know enough information to know if he deserves to be or not. I will say that the kids are the ones who are getting the bum deal out of all of this mess. They need to know who their coach is, and this whole season has just been total chaos for the kids at Greenup Co. They deserve better.

:thumb: Well said!!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of this talk about "the kids" sounds good. However, all should keep in mind that Coach Hicks has rights which he has every right to make sure are protected. To take at face value what is said and done by the Grenup County administration and its agents would not be wise. As Paul Harvey says, we need "the rest of the story". Coach Hicks deserves, at the every least, for us to reserve judgment until all the information is reported.

I'll ask again, can anyone confirm or deny the original question, regarding Coach Hicks returning to the bench.

If not, this thread may have ran its course.

I think if he was fired and they hired a new coach, then its not even an issue. I'm not sure why it's still going on. BTW, in Kentucky, you can legally be fired for good reason, bad reason, or no reason at all. On the same token, you can quit for the same reasons.

Strike 3,

Jay Bilas confirmed it in an above post.

Thanks and I noticed, plus the previous threads, related to this topic also confirmed Coach Sutton was hired.

I'm not speaking for FBALL but his question, could have also been in regard to an Assistant position or in another capacity.

We'll see where it goes and thanks, Nets.....:thumb:

Strike 3,

Jay Bilas confirmed it in an above post.

We all know Sutton was named coach for now. Noone has been hired to permanently fill the position. Coach Hicks still has his legal rights and from what I hear he has spoken with the AD and will be involved with the team in some capacity.

I don't wan't to comment on everything going on right now, but this situation is not over.

All of this talk about "the kids" sounds good. However, all should keep in mind that Coach Hicks has rights which he has every right to make sure are protected. To take at face value what is said and done by the Grenup County administration and its agents would not be wise. As Paul Harvey says, we need "the rest of the story". Coach Hicks deserves, at the every least, for us to reserve judgment until all the information is reported.

I'm sorry, but this should have absolutely nothing to do with Coach Hicks' rights. The position of a High School basketball coach is a privilege and a responsibility. The coach should be a leader and a mentor on and off of the court. I have seen Coach Hicks coach several times over the last three years and, while I have no idea what he is like off the court, his actions on the court are inexcuseable for a man in his position. Being a basketball coach is not his career and this is not a matter of him losing his career. He's losing a little bonus money on a side job, that's how I look at it. I am tired of people using rights as a shield for things. Yes, he has rights, but he has to accept the consequences for his abuse of those rights.

Scooterbob, no disrespect to you with my comments. They aren't directed at you at all. You just happened to be the one I quoted. I am just very frustrated with people being given several chances at things when it affects youth. He can act the way he does on his own time, but not in a position of leadership and respect with impressionable young men. Greenup County (with whom I have absolutely no affilition, I'm just an observer) needs to move on, and I hope they have.

I'm sorry, but this should have absolutely nothing to do with Coach Hicks' rights. The position of a High School basketball coach is a privilege and a responsibility. The coach should be a leader and a mentor on and off of the court. I have seen Coach Hicks coach several times over the last three years and, while I have no idea what he is like off the court, his actions on the court are inexcuseable for a man in his position. Being a basketball coach is not his career and this is not a matter of him losing his career. He's losing a little bonus money on a side job, that's how I look at it. I am tired of people using rights as a shield for things. Yes, he has rights, but he has to accept the consequences for his abuse of those rights.

Scooterbob, no disrespect to you with my comments. They aren't directed at you at all. You just happened to be the one I quoted. I am just very frustrated with people being given several chances at things when it affects youth. He can act the way he does on his own time, but not in a position of leadership and respect with impressionable young men. Greenup County (with whom I have absolutely no affilition, I'm just an observer) needs to move on, and I hope they have.

Mr. Freeze,

People do have rights and should be able to defend themselves when those rights are violated. Your statements lead me to believe that you have never had your rights violated. If you have never walked a mile in someones shoes then you have no idea what situation that they are in.

Yes, coaching is a career for some individuals. The Independent said that he was fired with pay and I know for fact that he is still receiving his stipend.

Mr. Freeze,

People do have rights and should be able to defend themselves when those rights are violated. Your statements lead me to believe that you have never had your rights violated. If you have never walked a mile in someones shoes then you have no idea what situation that they are in.

Yes, coaching is a career for some individuals. The Independent said that he was fired with pay and I know for fact that he is still receiving his stipend.

Teacher first and everything else second. That is what is wrong with many systems giving coaches tenure and securing spots that would be much more beneficial having a individual teaching and have coaching duties for what they really are……..Secondary in the big picture. I would hate to have my career based on coaching. That is the problem with systems today creating jobs for people for the sake of getting of a coach. I am very disappointed with the press continuing to discuss this fiasco and GC schools should put as much effort into publishing what is really going well for the district. Let it go……Sutton should be commended for keeping things moving in a positive direction

Teacher first and everything else second. That is what is wrong with many systems giving coaches tenure and securing spots that would be much more beneficial having a individual teaching and have coaching duties for what they really are……..Secondary in the big picture. I would hate to have my career based on coaching. That is the problem with systems today creating jobs for people for the sake of getting of a coach. I am very disappointed with the press continuing to discuss this fiasco and GC schools should put as much effort into publishing what is really going well for the district. Let it go……Sutton should be commended for keeping things moving in a positive direction

Teacher first!!! Exactly. That's why they call athletics extra curricular. I know Coach Hicks and feel sorry for him, but I also can feel for the students and their termoil that they have been going through. The Greenup County school system does need to move on, for the sake of their students. Coach Hicks didn't loose anything, from what I've read in the articles, just pride.

Any school has the right to hire and fire who they want. Let the kids and school move on.

They can fire the coach. He's probably finished in that area.

Now, since they have hired him back as a tenured teacher, they will have to prove he has done something wrong enough to legally terminate him as a teacher. That is not always the easiest thing in the world to do.