Jim Hicks back on the Bench at Greenup County?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any school has the right to hire and fire who they want. Let the kids and school move on.

They can fire him. However, they can be held responsible for their actions if they are questionable and/or if they damage Coach Hicks.

All this "letting the kids move on" is less than realistic. Does anyone believe that the "kids" haven't, long ago, staked their loyalties, grabbed their weapons, and dug their foxholes? So have their parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends, neighbors, and acquaintances.

Many hard feelings still exist over the Randy Ward firing and the school community never has healed. This is no different and anyone who thinks otherwise is dreaming.

I'm sorry, but this should have absolutely nothing to do with Coach Hicks' rights. The position of a High School basketball coach is a privilege and a responsibility. The coach should be a leader and a mentor on and off of the court. I have seen Coach Hicks coach several times over the last three years and, while I have no idea what he is like off the court, his actions on the court are inexcuseable for a man in his position. Being a basketball coach is not his career and this is not a matter of him losing his career. He's losing a little bonus money on a side job, that's how I look at it. I am tired of people using rights as a shield for things. Yes, he has rights, but he has to accept the consequences for his abuse of those rights..

I am so glad to see this post and could not agree with you more. Every time I read a thread about Mr. Hicks, I couldn'g help but wonder if anyone else had seen his actions in front of the players, year after year. IMO anyone who acts that way should not be around kids...and at a high school level, that is what his players are. First and formost, he is supposed to be a teacher and role model for his players. I certainly hope his players did not learn what he was teaching with his actions and do not model anything in their lives by is actions.

Close talker, my friend, you would be a prosecutor's dream. You have decided the matter with, actually, only an opening statement from the prosecution. Let's wait for all the facts- from both sides.

The repercussions for damaging the reputation of an individual and harming that individual's pursuit of his profession (coaching) are far more serious, and more expensive, than bruising a peach.

I have no idea in regard to how all of this will play out. However, I do feel fairly certain that there are many more cards than Greenup's original flop yet to be played. The aces and face cards may well still be in the deck. Right now, Greenup appears to have a pair of deuces and, maybe, a joker.

I have been watching basketball in this area and this state for a long time.....in that time, I have seen many coaches come and go, their demeanor as they coach is always not very gentleman like.........lets think back, I can remember Coach Johnson at Raceland did some things a few years ago that he is probably is not proud of.....Coach Cooksey at Fairview, can "carry on" pretty good at times.........Coach Daniels at Rowan Co. can get pretty loud......years ago, Marve Meredith and George Cook could throw some pretty good rants and they now have gyms named after them........these are all good men and have stood the test of time........very few sat in their seat and coached all the time.....I think Greenup Co. will honor their seniors in their next home game, could be that Coach Hicks will give them awards as he has always done.....what has gone on there is a shame and could have been handled before the season started or after the end of this season......the timeing for this was wrong for the school and the team..........I have seen several college coaches that were not exactly perfect gentleman.......Rick Pitino can put a pretty good "cussin" on his boys..........I have seen Eddie Sutton coach when he would have a hard time passing a breatherlizer........I would not let Bob Knight walk my dog, much less coach my kid.......these guys are all making a lot of money for acting like this, bottom line is win and fill the seats.....

If any of those players expect to go on to the next level im sure they will see a lot worse than Hick's!!! When they get out in life they will definately see a lot worse than coach hick's. From what I read almost all the players and parent's want to keep him. His positoin was taken over allegation's against him, let's not forget in the good ole U.S.of A. you are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty!! I'm not a hicks fan or nuttin im from Elliott Co. but I have watched Hick's coach many time's and I have had boss's on jobs cut way worse shine's than he does!! Sometimes people strain a gnat while "they" are swallowing a camel!!!! There are lot's of teenager's out there who could stand to be coached by some one like Hick's or Knight or pitino etc.

maybe it would teach them some respect for an authority figure and there wouldn't be headlines in the news like SUNSHINE STATE YOUTH'S GONE WILD! If everyone would admit it(they won't) they would agree that people have grown a lot softer and kid's have gotten a lot wilder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.....I have no idea in regard to how all of this will play out. However, I do feel fairly certain that there are many more cards than Greenup's original flop yet to be played. The aces and face cards may well still be in the deck. Right now, Greenup appears to have a pair of deuces and, maybe, a joker.
At this point, no one can confirm the original question in this thread, regarding the rumor of Coach Hicks being on the bench for Friday night. Coach Sutton has been hired and as scooterbob so eloquently put it, more may follow.

Good ending point.