Rose Hill 51 East Carter 47

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are more than welcome. Although I didn't feel I wrote anything that was any more condescending than your attack on a profession that you admit you can't do any better than the ones who do it. If I have offended you, I too apologize. Thanks for your forgiveness, it is something we all need at times. Please forgive me and we can be friends!

I dare say I see as many, if not more, basketball games in a season than do most and I have seen games that were poorly officiated and I have seen games that were officiated very well. No one gets on here and compliments officials after a good game, but are very quick to criticize when they feel they saw a poor game. Just tired of people trashing officials. I know I wouldn't do it for any amount of money, much less $60 or whatever they get.

Peace to you and have a great evening!

Not going to comment on the officiating except to say, when a game is over, the focus should not be on the refs. The best compliment that can be paid to any sports official is to not mention them at all. The best refs draw no attention to themselves, call the game fairly both ways, and quietly walk off the floor at the end of the game. The game is for the kids. The fans are there for kids. The refs are there for the kids. When the refs attempt to draw the attention to themselves, that is when they deserve any critisism they receive.

Not going to comment on the officiating except to say, when a game is over, the focus should not be on the refs. The best compliment that can be paid to any sports official is to not mention them at all. The best refs draw no attention to themselves, call the game fairly both ways, and quietly walk off the floor at the end of the game. The game is for the kids. The fans are there for kids. The refs are there for the kids. When the refs attempt to draw the attention to themselves, that is when they deserve any critisism they receive.

I wish the above statement were completely true. But alas, many people are not at the game for THE kids, but for THEIR kids. I agree somewhat with your statement concerning officials not being noticed means they call a good game. But still, it would be nice for some of them to be told they called a good game. We all need to feel appreciated sometimes, it makes us work harder to do our best. By the way, an excellent post Unc!

I think the 16th Region has some of the better coaches in the State:

Not in any particular order:

1. West Carter : Hop started a dynasty and it has been carried on

2. Rose Hill: Coaching Staff is hard to beat, very versatile

3. East Carter: Hagar is a terrific coach

4. Raceland: Bobby Trimble will build a winning program if given the time

5. Ashland : Bradley and the back door cut/ Old School at its best

7.Boyd County: Fraley knows the game but team is a little down this year

8. Fairview: Believe it or not, I think the coach will do well over time

(Not even Pitino could turn a program around in one year).

9. Russell is loaded with unreal talent year in and year out. What do they feed those kids down there?

I know I have left out a few but that was not done with the intention of being disrespectful, just dont know much about them personally.

By the way, GoRadio, please do not ever disgrace yourself by saying you are not as good as other local sports announcers. In all honesty I have listened to you and I think you do a great job. You may not be up there with Caywood but you a certainly better than the ones that you previously mentioned. What I said earlier was not intended to you but the overall situtation of officials, we dont see eye to eye, so what? Keep calling it as you see it.

Congratulations to Rose Hill on the win. It sounds like it was another very physical ballgame, and I have to agree that it has to favor Rose Hill when the officials let the girls play, and not call every ticky tack foul. I must admit that I've critiqued an official a couple of times this year, but I've officiated both football and basketball in the past, and I will say that basketball is by far the hardest to call, and I respect and appreciate the job these guys do. I also respect GoRadio, and the class he has always shown on here. He is a class act, a true gentleman, a brother in Christ, and is a true ambassador for high school sports. Some of you need to show him the same respect that he has always shown everyone else.

I think the 16th Region has some of the better coaches in the State:

Not in any particular order:

1. West Carter : Hop started a dynasty and it has been carried on

2. Rose Hill: Coaching Staff is hard to beat, very versatile

3. East Carter: Hagar is a terrific coach

4. Raceland: Bobby Trimble will build a winning program if given the time

5. Ashland : Bradley and the back door cut/ Old School at its best

7.Boyd County: Fraley knows the game but team is a little down this year

8. Fairview: Believe it or not, I think the coach will do well over time

(Not even Pitino could turn a program around in one year).

9. Russell is loaded with unreal talent year in and year out. What do they feed those kids down there?

I know I have left out a few but that was not done with the intention of being disrespectful, just dont know much about them personally.

By the way, GoRadio, please do not ever disgrace yourself by saying you are not as good as other local sports announcers. In all honesty I have listened to you and I think you do a great job. You may not be up there with Caywood but you a certainly better than the ones that you previously mentioned. What I said earlier was not intended to you but the overall situtation of officials, we dont see eye to eye, so what? Keep calling it as you see it.

Thanks for the kind words. They are appreciated! This ol' world would be pretty boring if we all saw eye to eye wouldn't it? And I do agree with your assessment of our coaches in the region, top notch! Might add that Troy Lee Thomas at Rowan is a great guy as well!

Congratulations to Rose Hill on the win. It sounds like it was another very physical ballgame, and I have to agree that it has to favor Rose Hill when the officials let the girls play, and not call every ticky tack foul. I must admit that I've critiqued an official a couple of times this year, but I've officiated both football and basketball in the past, and I will say that basketball is by far the hardest to call, and I respect and appreciate the job these guys do. I also respect GoRadio, and the class he has always shown on here. He is a class act, a true gentleman, a brother in Christ, and is a true ambassador for high school sports. Some of you need to show him the same respect that he has always shown everyone else.

And thanks for your kind words as well LRCW. You too have shown me nothing but kindness and respect and I appreciate it! Sometimes we all get bent out of shape over certain issues and then realize that arguing over them really solves nothing. I do apologize if anything I have said this evening has hurt anyone, that was never, nor will it ever, be my intentions.

And thanks for noticing that I do what I do for the KIDS and the high schools in the area. Lord knows I will never get rich covering high school sports, but wouldn't trade jobs with Marty Brennaman or Marv Albert!

I am going to say this one last time, it was a poor called game. No consistency. A good example of tonights game was that they let the play become physical then all of sudden began calling ticky tack fouls and not against RH, it was against Deerfield of East, she had four fouls in less then two minutes, the only explanation is that unless Hagar told the officials and Deerfield both to foul to put RH in the bonus...if this is not the case I will stick to my theory about poor officiating. Deerfield had touch fouls compared to what was going on out there. Maybe Deefield told ref she was going to foul or something???