KHSAA losing nearly half of officials in 5 years

Just now, Tigerpride94 said:

I've read comments on Facebook posts for this article and refs are taking a beating so I don't see this improving.

I don't think it is improving for any authority figures. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

From the article:

"The KHSAA has created a program to let older teenagers officiate for lower-level games accompanied by a mentor."

Didn't I see a thread or comment a session for that during scrimmage season in Northern Kentucky?

I am aware of middle school games that have had multiple teenage officials. By all accounts they do just fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, WishboneCity said:

I am aware of middle school games that have had multiple teenage officials. By all accounts they do just fine. 

We had a MS game last October that was officiated by one adult official & two teenage officials.  When they came to the gate in their official uniforms, the gatekeeper thought it was a couple of students dressed in Halloween costume & tried to charge them 😂.  Anyway, the game was actually officiated fairly well.  The teenagers actually did a good job & the adult referee did a good job teaching & training them during the game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, WishboneCity said:

Little League baseball did this when I  was young. I umpired baseball for several years when I was a teen. A lot of youth soccer leagues rely on teens. I think teen officials are a great idea.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

IMO, life has never been better for us as a society and yet we seem to have more angry people than ever. 

Social media making people feel like their opinion is needed and validated on everything. 

I’ve reffed little league and it was awful. From parents to coaches. I would never do it full time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I've read comments on Facebook posts for this article and refs are taking a beating so I don't see this improving.

I just got back from the comment section. That was brutal. There is so much anger and blame. So little understanding and positivity. Also very indicative of the blame game culture we live in now. So many people want to shun accountability, especially when adversity hits.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

From the article:

"The KHSAA has created a program to let older teenagers officiate for lower-level games accompanied by a mentor."

Didn't I see a thread or comment a session for that during scrimmage season in Northern Kentucky?

I thought I saw somewhere over the summer that the NKYFL is doing this, but I might be mistaken