What is the Future of College Basketball?

Looking out 5-10 years, what do you believe college basketball will look like? Will it even exist?

It feels like we are angling towards a true minor league system not dependent on the college model. When I saw the first invitational tournament with a $1M payout, beginning next fall, it sunk in that college basketball is on its last legs. The players that can play will follow the money, leaving behind a true amateur model for colleges. Once the NBA gets involved and finds a way to bolster its minor league system with these folks, its game over.

NIL is great and horrible for both the players and the game at the same time.

I got into an argument with a good friend a few days ago. He keeps saying that NIL needs limits or to be controlled, but legally there is no way to do it. I don't think any rules or laws brought up, would hold up in court. The market at some point will correct itself and the crazy money will drop, but from now on players will be bought by "boosters" and there is no way to stop it that I can see.

This all gets back to the Calipari decision or any other university hire. What is in this long term for universities? To invest millions of dollars a year when they are losing control of their assets seems short-sighted.

• Like 1

College basketball in the Power 5 Conferences is finished and it's trickling down to the mid majors where rosters get gutted after really good coaches develop players and they bolt for big money. DII, DIII, and NAIA are as close to the old college basketball we enjoyed. In effect it's minor league basketball now.