Anger rises at Kenton County jail meeting

Anger rises at jail meeting

INDEPENDENCE - It's possible that if Kenton County Judge-executive Ralph Drees and his fiscal court knew how things would transpire Tuesday night, they would have held their meeting in a smaller venue, one where voices would be encouraged to talk, not shout.

But, as it was, the county fiscal court held its meeting in the gymnasium of Simon Kenton High School, where about 1,100 people came out to talk about the possibility of a new jail near Independence. The crowd included former GOP gubernatorial candidate Larry Forgy, who was there to report back to Gov. Ernie Fletcher.

Many residents in the crowd were unsure if they would be able to speak, partly because the fiscal court was vague in describing the meeting's agenda. And, many said, that's all they wanted to do - speak their minds.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no good reason for the jail to be anywhere but Covington. The criminal court is there, having it anywhere else would just be a hastle. The only reason it's not is because some well connected people want to build some high end apartments and condo's instead IMO.

If I was Drees, the only thing I'd have to say at the next meeting is we can either build a jail in Independence or we can designate Independence as the drop-off spot when our jail becomes overcrowded and we have to turn people loose.

There is no good reason for the jail to be anywhere but Covington. The criminal court is there, having it anywhere else would just be a hastle. The only reason it's not is because some well connected people want to build some high end apartments and condo's instead IMO.

I'm not sure using very valuable land for a jail makes real economic sense. You generally want land to be used for its highest and best use. And high end apartments and condos in downtown Covington is a much better use of valuable land in downtown Covington than a jail. As to the need for it to be close to the courts, more and more appearances by prisoners is done via video conferences. There's no doubt that they occassionally need to appear in court, but not near as frequently as they used to.

As to HHSDad's comment about putting it where the Jacob Price project is, I have to assume that Kenton County already considered that site. Drees does know a little bit about real estate development...one heck of a lot more than that loose cannon Deters does (and probably you and I also:ylsuper: ). If there was a qualified site in Covington, I'm sure it would have been selected if for no other reason to prevent the storm of protests that have erupted each time that a site in the suburbs has been even mentioned. Ralph may come across as a little goofy at times, but he's one smart cookie. I wish we had more non-professional elected officials like him. He's certainly not beholden to any one, and probably does not give a hoot in Hades whether he gets re-elected or not, other than his belief that he is trying to take the politics out of county govt. and thus he is good for Kenton County.

If I was Drees, the only thing I'd have to say at the next meeting is we can either build a jail in Independence or we can designate Independence as the drop-off spot when our jail becomes overcrowded and we have to turn people loose.

Or they could build it somewhere not within walking distance to a middle school... and my house...