Anger rises at Kenton County jail meeting

The Federal Correctional Facility in Boyd Co. is within 1/2 mile of BC Middle School and in the opposite direction, 1/2 mile from the elementary school. We live less than 2 miles from the facility and have never had any issue. Ofcourse, I've grew up with the facility there and have always been accustomed to it.

Interesting side note: This facility is the one that Pete Rose was to be assigned to. However, the newer "country club" building was not yet completed.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The outrage from the Dudley Road citizens was probably worse than they got from Independence...

Unfortuantely, I doubt the outrage from the Dudley Road citizens was greater than the Indpendence citizens. The difference is the political clout of the Dudley Road group is probably much greater than the Indpendence group.

I'd put it right behind robke where they wanted to in the first place.

I agree, even though it's closer to where I live. The key of moving it out of downtown is space, it's a heck of a lot cheaper to build a one story jail than a multi level one, and it's safer as well as much more convenient when you are watching the prisoners. Plus, the citizens needs to look at the stats, like of the Boone Co. jail, I don't think there has been any trouble with it being so close to a school.

I just think the Independence group could have found a better attorney.

The county just needs to pick the best site possible and go with it no matter what.

The Federal Correctional Facility in Boyd Co. is within 1/2 mile of BC Middle School and in the opposite direction, 1/2 mile from the elementary school. We live less than 2 miles from the facility and have never had any issue. Ofcourse, I've grew up with the facility there and have always been accustomed to it.

Interesting side note: This facility is the one that Pete Rose was to be assigned to. However, the newer "country club" building was not yet completed.

Let's face it. It has nothing to do with the safety of the community. It's all about money. If a jail gets built in your neighborhood, I can guarantee that your property value will go down.

This is the part of the story that surprised me:

"Deters revealed to the crowd Tuesday that Covington city officials have told him they want to keep the jail in the city."

You might want to read the article in today's Ky Post. It seems that Mr. Deters may have only repeated part of what Jay Fossett told him. Jay also told Mr. Deters that there is no site in Covington that satisfies the 25 acre minimum requirement.

Building a multiple level facility would require less acreage, but evidently the cost of building and operating a multi level jail in Covington would be more than building and operating a single level jail in Independence, even with the increase costs of transporting criminals to and fro the courthouse in Covington.

If the people of Independence are serious, they need serious representation. Deters? Please.

Prominent legal name who was kicked out of the firm his father founded. How often has this happened. The question, why. Looking at how he conducts himself speaks volumes. Also sad in the other article the lady who said she moved from the riff raff of Bellevue to Indenpendence, now the riff raff is being put into Independence with this jail. Goes to show how stupid people get.

You might want to read the article in today's Ky Post. It seems that Mr. Deters may have only repeated part of what Jay Fossett told him. Jay also told Mr. Deters that there is no site in Covington that satisfies the 25 acre minimum requirement.

Building a multiple level facility would require less acreage, but evidently the cost of building and operating a multi level jail in Covington would be more than building and operating a single level jail in Independence, even with the increase costs of transporting criminals to and fro the courthouse in Covington.

That is the way I understood the situation. Deters' quote is very misleading.

I agree, even though it's closer to where I live. The key of moving it out of downtown is space, it's a heck of a lot cheaper to build a one story jail than a multi level one, and it's safer as well as much more convenient when you are watching the prisoners. Plus, the citizens needs to look at the stats, like of the Boone Co. jail, I don't think there has been any trouble with it being so close to a school.

I just think the Independence group could have found a better attorney.

The county just needs to pick the best site possible and go with it no matter what.

When I'm not away at college I work within literally a stone's throw of behind robke, and I would much rather it be there.

Not for my parents and their neighbors. We are not so shallow thank you very much.

Can you even name an incident where a neighborhood's safety was directly threatened by proximiatey to a county jail? I'd think living next door to or having my kids school across the street from a jail would be the safest place in the world. Dangerous criminals don't typically hang out in front of the jail. In fact, its the one place besides police stations that they avoid like the plague.