Anger rises at Kenton County jail meeting

Let's face it. It has nothing to do with the safety of the community. It's all about money. If a jail gets built in your neighborhood, I can guarantee that your property value will go down.

HHSDad, I agree. Now as a way to solve that problem, the county needs to think out of the box. How about $5,000 mutual fund goes into a trust for each homeowner within 1 mile of the new jail. They get the proceeds when the home is sold. I haven't worked out all the logisitics, but wanted to throw something out there.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The county hid the location until it was approved. They did not let the people of Kenton County have any input in the decision. The committee was secret. Had they let it be known they were considering the sight then weighed all the option and listened to the people there wouldn't have been this kind of uproar.

The nicest middle-income area in Kenton County is Independence (IMO). Summit View is a great school, Kroger is convenient and Wal-Mart is right down the road, there isn't a lot of crime, it's a growing area. The jail can change some of these factors. If you look at it from a money standpoint property value goes down. What does that do to the community? What happens when low-income families can now afford to live there? Anyone? Well not only does your property value go down, but the "Bumpkin" family moves in next door. They don't take care of there house, they play loud music, their dog barks all night, the police are constantly at that house, and the next thing you know your daughter...... You get the point. Why do people think Independence wants anything negative to happen? Why would they? This isn't nimby, it's lying to the people by withholding truths. There are better, less populated areas where the jail could have gone. Not one person on the committee was from Independence. The government is for the people by the people and in this case it's failed the people of Independence.

IMaFan, wasn't you the one who said it wasn't someone from a "lower class" family who brought heroin to Campbell County?

Yeah, but it was in lower income areas WAY before that. I don't think it's fair to make a decision that affrects THOUSANDS of homeowners when they have no input on the decision. It's similiar to the British taxing the colonies. No taxation without representation.

Yeah, but it was in lower income areas WAY before that. I don't think it's fair to make a decision that affrects THOUSANDS of homeowners when they have no input on the decision. It's similiar to the British taxing the colonies. No taxation without representation.

Correct me if I am wrong but don't those citizens supposed to have their representation/input by electing the people into office that they feel will make the best decisions for the county?

Can you even name an incident where a neighborhood's safety was directly threatened by proximiatey to a county jail? I'd think living next door to or having my kids school across the street from a jail would be the safest place in the world. Dangerous criminals don't typically hang out in front of the jail. In fact, its the one place besides police stations that they avoid like the plague.

Its not about safety, and its not about property value. Its about my hometown that is supposed to be this wholesome little, well medium-sized, suburb town with nice people, a couple nice schools, and a kroger. If they build that jail there will be a giant pimple on my hometown. What used to be a little postcard town, will soon develop into something that is anything but the sort. Now I understand that the town is growing, and it wont stay the same for forever, but for the future of the town putting in a jail will greately affect who and what comes into that town to be developed. Instead of a Taylor Mill or a Ft. Mitchell it will become a mini Covington or Florence.

Can you even name an incident where a neighborhood's safety was directly threatened by proximiatey to a county jail? I'd think living next door to or having my kids school across the street from a jail would be the safest place in the world. Dangerous criminals don't typically hang out in front of the jail. In fact, its the one place besides police stations that they avoid like the plague.

Great point HHSDad. Independence..just like any other city in Northern Ky has it's share of "riff-raff" already there. And my guess is that they will stay as far away from the the jail steps as possible!

Its not about safety, and its not about property value. Its about my hometown that is supposed to be this wholesome little, well medium-sized, suburb town with nice people, a couple nice schools, and a kroger. If they build that jail there will be a giant pimple on my hometown. What used to be a little postcard town, will soon develop into something that is anything but the sort. Now I understand that the town is growing, and it wont stay the same for forever, but for the future of the town putting in a jail will greately affect who and what comes into that town to be developed. Instead of a Taylor Mill or a Ft. Mitchell it will become a mini Covington or Florence.

Most of your "hometown" used to be farmland a mere 30 years ago. I would guess that the vast majority of the people who live in Independence are very recent transients that have chased the suburbs to Independence. And to suggest that Independence is some Utopia free of crime is just silly. Now if your family lived there when the only thing in Independence was the courthouse, Simon Kenton and the Cherokee Bowl, then I think you have a dog in this fight. As for the rest, there's plenty of other suburbs to move to.

I really find this repeated conflict to be exasperating. If its not a jail, its a sewage treatement plant, or some other piece of infrastructure that is absolutely necessary for the community, but no one wants it in their community. Maybe Deters is right. Maybe Independence should declare "independence" and provide all the services to themselves that they refuse to be housed within their city limits.

Most of your "hometown" used to be farmland a mere 30 years ago. I would guess that the vast majority of the people who live in Independence are very recent transients that have chased the suburbs to Independence. And to suggest that Independence is some Utopia free of crime is just silly. Now if your family lived there when the only thing in Independence was the courthouse, Simon Kenton and the Cherokee Bowl, then I think you have a dog in this fight. As for the rest, there's plenty of other suburbs to move to.

I really find this repeated conflict to be exasperating. If its not a jail, its a sewage treatement plant, or some other piece of infrastructure that is absolutely necessary for the community, but no one wants it in their community. Maybe Deters is right. Maybe Independence should declare "independence" and provide all the services to themselves that they refuse to be housed within their city limits.

Well in that case I do have a dog in this fight. I've known no other home except for independence, and my parents have been there for 25 years.

The county hid the location until it was approved. They did not let the people of Kenton County have any input in the decision. The committee was secret. Had they let it be known they were considering the sight then weighed all the option and listened to the people there wouldn't have been this kind of uproar.

The nicest middle-income area in Kenton County is Independence (IMO). Summit View is a great school, Kroger is convenient and Wal-Mart is right down the road, there isn't a lot of crime, it's a growing area. The jail can change some of these factors. If you look at it from a money standpoint property value goes down. What does that do to the community? What happens when low-income families can now afford to live there? Anyone? Well not only does your property value go down, but the "Bumpkin" family moves in next door. They don't take care of there house, they play loud music, their dog barks all night, the police are constantly at that house, and the next thing you know your daughter...... You get the point. Why do people think Independence wants anything negative to happen? Why would they? This isn't nimby, it's lying to the people by withholding truths. There are better, less populated areas where the jail could have gone. Not one person on the committee was from Independence. The government is for the people by the people and in this case it's failed the people of Independence.

One reason why the sight was decided on and purchased before being made public was to keep the price from going up. I think most counties make land purchase decisions behind closed doors. Just remember they are elected officials and we live in a Republic not a democracy.

Correct me if I am wrong but don't those citizens supposed to have their representation/input by electing the people into office that they feel will make the best decisions for the county?

Are you familiar with the situation? Imagine a bunch of elected officials from Falmouth putting a jail in Ducker's Woods.

Yes. In this case what's best for the county is probably not going to be best for the area where the jail ultimately ends up, be that Independence or somewhere else.