Bruce Pearl

TheChampIsBack

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that someone on another site summed it up perfectly. It probably wasn't as much about school spirit as it was self promotion.

Maybe but what is so wrong with that. I mean he went out and did something most coaches wouldn't do, and his players loved that he did that. So not only does it show up as having school spirit, but also helps him out, because I mean what kid wouldn't want to play for a coach who has a fun style and is also out in the student section of a basketball game. So him doing that probaby definitely will help out in the recruiting front. And also I do believe even though it was for self promotion, that he really does just have alot of school spirit. I mean ever since he got to UT he has done alot of things to try to get the school spirit up. He is a coach that likes to get the crowd and school spirit up, but also is smart about it and uses it to his advantage...

If he was interested in "supporting the Lady Vols and Tennessee" he would have been sitting in Row 3, on the aisle, in jeans and a golf shirt signing autographs for 12 year olds. Instead he took the most outlandish route possible to draw as much attention to himself as he could. Sorry if that makes me a "hater."

I think he did show his support and I bet the students loved it. I don't know how big the crowds get at their women's games are, but if I was a student there, I would attend to see if he did it again. Pat gave him a kiss on the cheek before the game for supporting her team, instead of hating on him. shame shame ;)

If he was interested in "supporting the Lady Vols and Tennessee" he would have been sitting in Row 3, on the aisle, in jeans and a golf shirt signing autographs for 12 year olds. Instead he took the most outlandish route possible to draw as much attention to himself as he could. Sorry if that makes me a "hater."

They were playing the number one team in the country, so you got to figure it probably meant more to him and the University to do something special! I mean who don't want to beat DUKE on their home floor!

• 1 month later...

Now it's Pat Summitt's turn.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2780818

Summitt to go 'a lot out of character' for men's game

Summitt and her staff are planning a special appearance during Tennessee's game Tuesday night against Florida (No. 4 ESPN/USA Today; No. 5 AP).

Summitt didn't want to say exactly what she is doing, but she's dropped hints by mentioning her days as a cheerleader in seventh and eighth grade.

"I might come back and perform with my staff," she said Monday.

Pearl is in on the secret.

"I know what Pat is doing, but I'm not at liberty to say," he said. "I think [fans] are going to love it, and I think America is going to see a side of Pat Summitt that they haven't seen in a long time."

Summitt noted the appearance will be "a little out of character, a lot out of character actually."

Summitt, 54, is known for working players hard in practice and her icy stare on the sidelines during games. She's also the winningest coach in NCAA basketball history -- men or women -- with 940 victories.

"I think people see me as being really serious, and I've just always been a kind of person that likes to have fun and do things like I'm going to do tomorrow night. But I usually don't do it on camera in front of the whole country," she said. "I figured, why not?"