Will Kirby Smart be named the next head coach of the Falcons?

16thBBall Fan

Rumors are circulating that Kirby will be named the next coach of the Falcons. This could be huge and it could be why in the past few days there have been so many players exiting from the Dogs and it is being said that the #1 QB recruit it the country who had committed to Georgia has backed out of that decision. This could be an interesting next few days.

How often has that worked?  Jim Harbaugh was successful for a few seasons.   But look at the track record...Saban, Meyer, Spurrier, Ruhl....all disasters.    Jimmy Johnson was successful, but his followup act in Miami wasn't so good.   And Barry Switzer coached Johnson's team to a title, but it fell apart when he was bringing his own guys in.

Let the college guys coach college and go get an NFL guy.

12 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

I don't see why Smart leaves when he's got the Georgia program where it is right now.  Especially knowing that Saban won't be around much longer. 

This. What's the advantage of jumping to the NFL? Smart makes $10.7 million a year. A jump to the NFL isn't going to warrant that much more than what he's already making, and his job gets significantly harder. 

7 minutes ago, okie1 said:

Quality of Life would be the only thing that Kirby would leave for.  NFL coaches don't have to recruit which is a huge deal if you want to be any type of family man.

He may not be recruiting, but you're not spending any more time with your family as an NFL coach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

This. What's the advantage of jumping to the NFL? Smart makes $10.7 million a year. A jump to the NFL isn't going to warrant that much more than what he's already making, and his job gets significantly harder. 

Exactly, I'm just not seeing much of an upside here.  Unless it's an ego thing, to prove himself at that level as well. But aside from that I'm just not seeing it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

He may not be recruiting, but you're not spending any more time with your family as an NFL coach. 

In season true. Off season, I think the NFL gig is a lot better nowadays and certainly easier with minimal recruiting (a couple free agents, maybe), no NIL, no transfer portal, more professionals and fewer juveniles. The biggest downside to the NFL is less job security IMO. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

NFL is 100 hour weeks 8 months a year…Power 5 is 100 hours a week 11.5 months a year😂😂

12 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Exactly, I'm just not seeing much of an upside here.  Unless it's an ego thing, to prove himself at that level as well. But aside from that I'm just not seeing it. 

Also, for comparisons sake.  Saban was 56 years old when he got his 1st National title at Alabama, second over all.  Kirby Smart turns 48 this week and already has 2 National titles at Georgia.  He's got plenty of time if he wants to make a run at Saban's numbers.  

On 12/19/2023 at 5:31 PM, 16thBBall Fan said:

Rumors are circulating that Kirby will be named the next coach of the Falcons. This could be huge and it could be why in the past few days there have been so many players exiting from the Dogs and it is being said that the #1 QB recruit it the country who had committed to Georgia has backed out of that decision. This could be an interesting next few days.

I must not be paying attention as much lately to things lol, because this is the first I heard about this. I still would be shocked if he left.