Is it time for Bill Belichick to retire?

While things have been very challenging for New England in several ways, is it time for Belichick to step down? He’s obviously been great as their coach and accomplished more than any coach can dream of at the NFL level. But just seeing things with the team’s current standing and his time there along with all else he’s done, the time for him to be done may be here. Thoughts from others?

23 minutes ago, DanvilleFan said:

I think he wants Shula's record but at this pace he isn't getting there.

If the Pats did take some action and got rid of him it'd be interesting to see what teams came after him for their head coaching vacancies.

It would be interesting to see how it unfolds for sure. Football has changed mightily since Belichick got there. Regardless of that, I would think that the culture overall would be a big change in that alone with who Belichick is and with his ways compared to how several other coaches are now. There could possibly be a couple in the coaching side of things that I could see New England contacting from the old school who’s been around for a longer time or it could come from the newer background. Either way it will be interesting to see how it happens when the time comes.

I don’t think it’s all on Belichick by any stretch, this is more on GM and other front office staff. It’s almost like they didn’t plan for any capacity once Brady left along with several other players gone now. From an overall team perspective, the last time that New England has been this challenged probably goes back to the very early Bledsoe days, if not even further beyond then.

3 minutes ago, hrcarrier said:

I don’t think it’s all on Belichick by any stretch, this is more on GM and other front office staff. It’s almost like they didn’t plan for any capacity once Brady left along with several other players gone now. From an overall team perspective, the last time that New England has been this challenged probably goes back to the very early Bledsoe days, if not even further beyond then.

Belichick is the GM. He's the guy making all personnel decisions.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hrcarrier said:

If that’s the case than I guess it is.

He was granted autonomy several years ago... with the exception of one time. As the story goes, he wanted to get rid of Brady, but Robert Kraft overruled him. And they went on to win another Superbowl.

• Like 1

I get they are a disaster, but last year he ruined any chance of Mac Jones becoming a serviceable starting QB in this league (which I doubted anyways). They never officially had an offensive coordinator last year, but most of the duties were handed to Matt Patricia, a defensive guy. No clue what in the hell Belichick was doing putting him in that post.

4 hours ago, DanvilleFan said:

I think he wants Shula's record but at this pace he isn't getting there.

If the Pats did take some action and got rid of him it'd be interesting to see what teams came after him for their head coaching vacancies.

They have a Patriot Alum and current coach on the defense in Jerod Mayo that Kraft has previously touted as a potential Belichick successor.

3 hours ago, bugatti said:

I get they are a disaster, but last year he ruined any chance of Mac Jones becoming a serviceable starting QB in this league (which I doubted anyways). They never officially had an offensive coordinator last year, but most of the duties were handed to Matt Patricia, a defensive guy. No clue what in the hell Belichick was doing putting him in that post.

I agree about that with Jones, thought that was pretty clear last year. And the point about Matt Patricia was crazy. Either way things just aren’t in a good state there in any way, which is clearly visible now.

I don’t know if he will retire, but I do think it’s probably best for both sides to move on. 

If the Chargers fail to do much this year. I could see the Chargers being a good spot for him to land. The NFL would love it, because that would put him in LA. Plus he would like it cause he would have a stud at QB. 

Shoot now that I say that, I hope that doesn’t happen. That would be very dangerous if he ended up with the Chargers.