2023 NKY Frosh Football Scores & Rankings

4 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

In case you didn't see this posted previously, for freshman team Beechwood now combines 8th and 9th grade. There are going to be a lot of 8th graders playing freshman every year going forward at Beechwood. Over 40 players on this year's freshman roster.

They have now done that for a few years now haven’t they? 

On 8/26/2023 at 1:30 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Covington Catholic beats Highlands 20-16. The Colonels ran it in for a touchdown as time expired in the 4Q.

5 (Pitzer) and 57 (Lind sp?) for Cov Cath are going to be awesome players. Both would help on varsity now if needed. There are just not too many kids at TE moving like Pitzer at that size. He looks huge and gets out of cuts like he’s 170 lbs. It felt like Lind had 10 pancakes at LT. 

19 Cogswell can really run at receiver and will be a very nice player for us in 2 years. 

• Like 3

Highlands runs out of gas. Several Freshman players played 8 quarters of Football Sat with a JV and Freshman Double Header. I like Highlands with Fresh legs next time around. Highlands was darn good for about 1 and 1/2 quarters. On to the next.

1 hour ago, BirdDaddy said:

Highlands runs out of gas. Several Freshman players played 8 quarters of Football Sat with a JV and Freshman Double Header. I like Highlands with Fresh legs next time around. Highlands was darn good for about 1 and 1/2 quarters. On to the next.

1 hour ago, 1959 said:

Are those freshmen eligible for this weeks game?

8 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

Is this a rule about how many quarters you could play a week? I thought it was 6 quarters, but I may be misremembering.

From the KHSAA:

08/29/15- REMINDER ABOUT 8 QUARTER PARTICIPATION LIMIT FOR FOOTBALL

With the season now in full swing, it is timely to remind all representatives of the football programs about the limit of eight quarters per week (Friday through the following Thursday) for high school football players. While this information has been distributed on multiple occasions to coaches at all levels (grades 9-12), it is again reiterated to prevent the use of ineligible players at any time.

- Each player is limited to eight quarters per week in contests, from Friday through the following Thursday, starting with the Friday of Week 0.

- Participation in one play during a quarter counts as that student having now participated.

- If contests have quarters that are six minutes or less, each quarter played counts as one-half of a quarter toward the eight-quarter limit.

- Any contest with periods longer than six minutes counts as a full quarter for each quarter played.

- By rule, overtime is an extension of the 4th quarter and does not count as an additional period(s).

- For example, student A plays in three different quarters of a varsity game on Friday, then four quarters of a ten-minute period freshman game, that player could only play one quarter of the junior varsity game that is played through the next Thursday following the varsity game.

- As another example, a freshman student plays in all four quarters of the varsity game on Friday, then all four quarters of a JV game on Monday in which the periods are 8 minutes in length. That player could not play in another contest of any type at any level until that Friday.

- A last example, a freshman student plays in all four quarters of the varsity game on Friday, then all four quarters of a JV game on Monday in which the periods are 6 minutes in length. That player has two quarters remaining to participate through that Thursday as the Monday quarters only counted as 1/2 of a quarter each toward the 8 quarter limit.

To track the participation, coaches are strongly encouraged to utilize the new form FB136 at http://khsaa.org/forms/fb136.pdf or http://khsaa.org/forms/fb136.docx. At least ten (10) percent of the football programs will be randomly audited at the end of the season to produce these records, and failure to do so will subject the school to penalties under Bylaw 27 for violation of Bylaw 18.

Best of luck for continued safe play.

• Thanks 2

On 8/20/2023 at 9:52 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Week 1 Games: Aug 21-27
Tue Aug 22 Ryle at Cooper 6:00pm
Thu Aug 24 Beechwood at Campbell County 6:00pm
Thu Aug 24 Conner at Simon Kenton 6:00pm
Sat Aug 26 Highlands at Covington Catholic 10:30am
BYE - Dixie Heights

Week 1 Results: Aug 21-27
Ryle 30 Cooper 6
Beechwood 45 Campbell County 8
Conner 28 Simon Kenton 12
Covington Catholic 20 Highlands 16
BYE - Dixie Heights

Week 2 Games: Aug 28-Sep 3
Tue Aug 29 Simon Kenton at Cooper 6:00pm
Wed Aug 30 Boone County Froshmore at Conner 6:00pm
Wed Aug 30 Covington Catholic at Ryle 6:00pm
Thu Aug 31 Harrison (OH) at Campbell County 6:00pm
Thu Aug 31 Lawrenceburg (IN) at Beechwood 6:00pm
Thu Aug 31 Dixie Heights at Highlands 6:30pm

Serious question, was Highlands that hard up for a win at the JV level that they brought up Freshman to help play which in turn potentially cost the Freshmen team a win? If the rule is correct as posted above then those young men cannot play this week.

38 minutes ago, Breds82 said:

Serious question, was Highlands that hard up for a win at the JV level that they brought up Freshman to help play which in turn potentially cost the Freshmen team a win? If the rule is correct as posted above then those young men cannot play this week.

It would appear so.  It’s a bummer for those freshmen. They haven’t lost a game as Bluebirds. And were up 14-0 when the tank ran dry. Back to back games on an August afternoon has to be brutal. 

I'm not condoning playing 8 quarters in a day and I wouldn't let my son do this but how in the wide wide world of sports is KHSAA gonna track this?  Is someone gonna show up Thursday at the Highlands frosh game and pull these kids off the field?  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, throwback32 said:

I'm not condoning playing 8 quarters in a day and I wouldn't let my son do this but how in the wide wide world of sports is KHSAA gonna track this?  Is someone gonna show up Thursday at the Highlands frosh game and pull these kids off the field?  

Info on quarters played has to be documented by the individual schools/teams. That KHSAA memo says the will randomly audit the documentation from at least 10% of the schools, annually. So the long and short of it is that it's a matter of self-policing at the risk of getting caught. The same thing could really be said of academic eligibility...that's an awful lot to ask for the KHSAA to go check on on which athletes have or haven't turned in all of their homework and who flunked a biology test week to week. A lot of this onus is on the teams and comes down to being honest and practicing good sportsmanship.