Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2023 NKY Frosh Football Scores & Rankings

Featured Replies

5 hours ago, 1959 said:

Highlands isn’t losing another game, outside of maybe Elder. And wouldn’t have lost to CovCath, if not for using their 6 best players the entire JV game prior to the freshman contest. We know this, and deep down so do the Colonels. So, with that, what happens when Highlands beats Ryle?  Coin flip for the top 2 spots and newly reinstated Freshman Championship Game. 

I could be wrong, but weren’t you the one last year that was saying Highlands should go undefeated at the freshman level before the season started? Or was that someone else? Then they went on to lose multiple games, with two of those losses not being even close. 
 

Not saying you are wrong here, because Highlands may win out and end up as the freshman Champs. However, fact is they did lose and still have to play a very good Beechwood and Ryle team. So I definitely think you may be jumping the gun here with how unstoppable this Highlands team may be. 

  • Replies 422
  • Views 65.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • futurecoach
    futurecoach

    You are completely missing what people are telling you. There was NO ADDITIONAL game added. Freshman football has always gone all the way up until the last week of the varsity regular season. Then onc

  • Cov_Cath_Hwy
    Cov_Cath_Hwy

    No the Colonels do not know that at all.  Better teams win, period.  Yes, it is that simple, cut, and dry.  Good teams don’t lose and don’t make excuses for losing.  When you lose, you lose because yo

  • Colonels_Wear_Blue
    Colonels_Wear_Blue

    5 of the 9 northern Kentucky football programs that field exclusively freshman teams only get to play 9 games this season. The other 4 managed to successfully schedule 10 games. Think about all the ti

Posted Images

CovCath 44 Simon Kenton 16.

1 hour ago, futurecoach said:

I could be wrong, but weren’t you the one last year that was saying Highlands should go undefeated at the freshman level before the season started? Or was that someone else? Then they went on to lose multiple games, with two of those losses not being even close. 
 

Not saying you are wrong here, because Highlands may win out and end up as the freshman Champs. However, fact is they did lose and still have to play a very good Beechwood and Ryle team. So I definitely think you may be jumping the gun here with how unstoppable this Highlands team may be. 

Lol, yeah I may have said that but I don’t recall how emphatic I may have been, and I will admit that they underperformed. Especially against Cooper and Ryle.  No question, those two games were a disaster and I would argue the Cooper beatdown basically ended their season.

As far as the current group, I’ve seen just about every game they’ve played for 2+ seasons and their only loss was in a game that should have been played with fresh bodies. Not with kids who just finished playing an entire JV game. I don’t see them losing a game under normal circumstances.

That said, I put less and less stock into freshman football anymore. Especially if some are also playing JV. IMO, those kids should just play JV and let the Frosh get reps.  I don’t understand some kids playing 8 quarters in a week and others playing 1 or none, in games that don’t matter. 

On 9/7/2023 at 5:08 PM, 1959 said:

Highlands isn’t losing another game, outside of maybe Elder. And wouldn’t have lost to CovCath, if not for using their 6 best players the entire JV game prior to the freshman contest. We know this, and deep down so do the Colonels. So, with that, what happens when Highlands beats Ryle?  Coin flip for the top 2 spots and newly reinstated Freshman Championship Game. 

Highlands freshmen beat Elder tonight 31-7 at the Cincy Elder Pit. 

  • Author

Week 3 Games: Sep 4-Sep 10
Beechwood 44 Cooper 13
Highlands 31 Elder (OH) 7
Ryle 44 Dixie Heights 24
Covington Catholic 44 Simon Kenton 16
Sat Sep 9 Conner at Campbell County 12:00pm

10 hours ago, throwback32 said:

The Williams kid??

I can't say for sure, as I was walking into the stadium I looked up and saw a Highlands player sprinting down the sideline. 

9 hours ago, 1959 said:

Lol, yeah I may have said that but I don’t recall how emphatic I may have been, and I will admit that they underperformed. Especially against Cooper and Ryle.  No question, those two games were a disaster and I would argue the Cooper beatdown basically ended their season.

As far as the current group, I’ve seen just about every game they’ve played for 2+ seasons and their only loss was in a game that should have been played with fresh bodies. Not with kids who just finished playing an entire JV game. I don’t see them losing a game under normal circumstances.

That said, I put less and less stock into freshman football anymore. Especially if some are also playing JV. IMO, those kids should just play JV and let the Frosh get reps.  I don’t understand some kids playing 8 quarters in a week and others playing 1 or none, in games that don’t matter. 

I still don't understand why they played in the JV game to begin with. Numbers do not seem to be that thin at HHS. Are there really not enough sophomore and juniors to play JV? Was the concern really that great after losing in varsity to beat CCH in a JV game? IMO JV football, more than any level, is about development. Getting in the habit of playing frosh over sophomore or juniors on the JV level I fear could really hurt a programs depth as kids choose to move on rather than developing to a contributing player by their senior year. 

2 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Week 3 Games: Sep 4-Sep 10
Beechwood 44 Cooper 13
Highlands 31 Elder (OH) 7
Ryle 44 Dixie Heights 24
Covington Catholic 44 Simon Kenton 16
Sat Sep 9 Conner at Campbell County 12:00pm

Thanks for posting this. It definitely makes life easier than having to hunt around and text everyone to keep up.

40 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

I still don't understand why they played in the JV game to begin with. Numbers do not seem to be that thin at HHS. Are there really not enough sophomore and juniors to play JV? Was the concern really that great after losing in varsity to beat CCH in a JV game? IMO JV football, more than any level, is about development. Getting in the habit of playing frosh over sophomore or juniors on the JV level I fear could really hurt a programs depth as kids choose to move on rather than developing to a contributing player by their senior year. 

Couldn’t agree more. I know there is drop off going into sophomore year, but they went from 50 freshmen to what, 27-28 sophomores. There were a lot of kids getting very few reps last year as freshmen, and the ones who played the bulk of the snaps, also played JV. So did those back end Frosh see the writing on the wall, and know that their JV reps would be given to the incoming freshmen? It doesn’t make sense to me at all.
 

Imagine being a freshman, who’s lucky to even get in the game because they leave the starters in til the 4th quarter regardless of the score. You play 1 quarter if you’re lucky and then see the kids in front of you playing 6-8 quarters a week and dress varsity. Doesn’t instill a lot of confidence or the feeling that they want you to stick around. 

On 9/7/2023 at 8:48 PM, TEDFROMVILLAHILLS said:

Highlands 31 Elder 7

On 9/8/2023 at 12:58 AM, Bluebirdbath said:

Highlands freshmen beat Elder tonight 31-7 at the Cincy Elder Pit. 

 

pit.jpg

44 minutes ago, 1959 said:

Couldn’t agree more. I know there is drop off going into sophomore year, but they went from 50 freshmen to what, 27-28 sophomores. There were a lot of kids getting very few reps last year as freshmen, and the ones who played the bulk of the snaps, also played JV. So did those back end Frosh see the writing on the wall, and know that their JV reps would be given to the incoming freshmen? It doesn’t make sense to me at all.
 

Imagine being a freshman, who’s lucky to even get in the game because they leave the starters in til the 4th quarter regardless of the score. You play 1 quarter if you’re lucky and then see the kids in front of you playing 6-8 quarters a week and dress varsity. Doesn’t instill a lot of confidence or the feeling that they want you to stick around. 

I hear similar activity going on at Beechwood. 8th graders play with the freshman team. The freshman team is really good with a tough schedule so the 8th graders don’t see the field other then mop up duty in the 4th quarter.  Most of the freshman play significant minutes at JV due to limited #s in the soph class and the junior class is the varsity core.  So many in the 9th grade class are getting 6 or 7 quarters of football each week and the 8th graders get about .5 quarter of on field play. 
 

Seems silly from a development purpose for long term success. 

42 minutes ago, 1959 said:

Couldn’t agree more. I know there is drop off going into sophomore year, but they went from 50 freshmen to what, 27-28 sophomores. There were a lot of kids getting very few reps last year as freshmen, and the ones who played the bulk of the snaps, also played JV. So did those back end Frosh see the writing on the wall, and know that their JV reps would be given to the incoming freshmen? It doesn’t make sense to me at all.
 

Imagine being a freshman, who’s lucky to even get in the game because they leave the starters in til the 4th quarter regardless of the score. You play 1 quarter if you’re lucky and then see the kids in front of you playing 6-8 quarters a week and dress varsity. Doesn’t instill a lot of confidence or the feeling that they want you to stick around. 

Sorry you had such a bad experience for what appears your son had but in other news Highlands Freshman won last night 31-7

16 minutes ago, BirdDaddy said:

Sorry you had such a bad experience for what appears your son had but in other news Highlands Freshman won last night 31-7

Unfortunately it wasn’t only mine. I just don’t want something so unnecessary to become detrimental to the team long term. There are a lot of good football players walking the halls of Highlands looking for another sport to play, or that are playing, at NCC. 
 

And I am very happy for the current freshmen, and their success. 

We did get some kids come our way last year, not all staters by any means but there is truth behind the comments. 

31-7 over Elder is a huge win, and the GCL foes won't let them forget that one. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.