"If OSU played in the SEC, they might have lost 3 or 4 games"

ladiesbballcoach

So basically your saying OSU would have went undefeated with UF's schedule, even though UF lost a game with that schedule. Also not to mention that UF not just beat but destroyed OSU in the title game...Im sorry but I dont see anyway they go undefeated. Their offense I think is better than what we saw in the championship game, but that defense was way overrated. The offenses in the Big 10 except for UM was not that good, and the only outside of conference game came against Texas who had a QB playing in his 3rd game ever. Their defense would have let them down in the SEC and they would not have went undefeated. I say they probably would have around 2 losses with that schedule...

Reread, big guy. I said I think they would go 8-0 in conference, but I could easily see them finishing 6-2 against that schedule. Some people think because Florida handled Ohio State that the Buckeyes instantly became a terrible team. Name one team in the country that could have played with Florida on Monday night, considering the way the Gators played? I'm not sure there are any.

If you read, I gave justification for my predictions for every game. I just think the schedule would have played into Ohio State's hands, much like it did Florida's.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True, the defensive strategy of the Buckeyes was to make the Florida offense have long sustained drives due to the fact that over half of their scoring plays on offense were of 40+ yards. Therefore, Ohio State played a very soft cover 2 and Chris Leak played spectacular and the Bucks clearly underestimated the speed of Florida.

Their DC should be in serious trouble. I watched some of the game again last night. Playing "a very soft cover 2" doesn't explain the LBs being 10 to 15 yards off the ball all night. Several 3rd and 6 and 3rd and 7s were converted right in from of OSU's highly touted "little animal" because he was 15 yards deep at the snap. Awful defensive scheme. This game reminded me of the Trinity vs. Ryle/Physical vs. Finesse game.

Their DC should be in serious trouble. I watched some of the game again last night. Playing "a very soft cover 2" doesn't explain the LBs being 10 to 15 yards off the ball all night. Several 3rd and 6 and 3rd and 7s were converted right in from of OSU's highly touted "little animal" because he was 15 yards deep at the snap. Awful defensive scheme. This game reminded me of the Trinity vs. Ryle/Physical vs. Finesse game.

This view by fans humors me because the assumption is that the before mentioned Genius, Jim Tressel who had 51 days to prepare a game plan, should have chosen another game plan and that game plan would have made the game alot closer. No guarantee that blitzing more doesn't make this game a blowout even more than it was. No guarantee that moving the LB's up, doesn't result in an even more of a blowout loss.

This view by fans humors me because the assumption is that the before mentioned Genius, Jim Tressel who had 51 days to prepare a game plan, should have chosen another game plan and that game plan would have made the game alot closer. No guarantee that blitzing more doesn't make this game a blowout even more than it was. No guarantee that moving the LB's up, doesn't result in an even more of a blowout loss.

First, you never heard me crown Tressel. He happened to receive the benefit of a blown call at the right time to win a title. His other claim to fame is beating Michigan over the years, also not impressive IMO. I didn't call for for blitzing, but you can't stop a 6 yard pass from 15 yards away. I don't think the DC gave OSU much of a chance. I picked UF to win (you could look it up). I agree UF had superior talent (read speed) but the coaching was less than stellar.

I will guarantee that not mixing in man coverage on that stage will lose you the football game. If you are too slow to play man, then you are going to lose the game anyway...

I will guarantee that not mixing in man coverage on that stage will lose you the football game. If you are too slow to play man, then you are going to lose the game anyway...

So he loses either way as everyone has pointed out that couldn't match Florida's speed. What if the DC and Tressel knew they couldn't match it and felt this gave them the best chance? I just find it humorous that some OSU fans want to lay the blame at the defensive gameplan on the assumption that they lost because of that and not because, just maybe, it was Florida was the better team and different gameplan wouldn't have changed the outcome but possibly made it worse.

Reread, big guy. I said I think they would go 8-0 in conference, but I could easily see them finishing 6-2 against that schedule. Some people think because Florida handled Ohio State that the Buckeyes instantly became a terrible team. Name one team in the country that could have played with Florida on Monday night, considering the way the Gators played? I'm not sure there are any.

If you read, I gave justification for my predictions for every game. I just think the schedule would have played into Ohio State's hands, much like it did Florida's.

Isn't OSU 0-9 vs. SEC in bowls? And you think they would go 8-0 in the SEC??? Evidently the awful thrashing they took didn't remove all the blinders...

So he loses either way as everyone has pointed out that couldn't match Florida's speed. What if the DC and Tressel knew they couldn't match it and felt this gave them the best chance? I just find it humorous that some OSU fans want to lay the blame at the defensive gameplan on the assumption that they lost because of that and not because, just maybe, it was Florida was the better team and different gameplan wouldn't have changed the outcome but possibly made it worse.

I would totally agree with you that they felt it was their best chance. I would also say that they likely ran a lot of zone all season long. The only coaching problem that I felt like occured was the fact that they didn't change to trying man coverage once it was obvious that their zone was getting picked apart under the middle. You have to try to stop the bleeding. However, I am personally happy with the results.

Or did they? I don't feel Florida is 4 TD's better but Ohio State did nothing on either side of the ball to indicate they were anywhere close to being as good as advertised.

100% on the money. Maybe, the big ten wasn't as good as advertised, Michigan was also, taken to the woodshed.

I would totally agree with you that they felt it was their best chance. I would also say that they likely ran a lot of zone all season long. The only coaching problem that I felt like occured was the fact that they didn't change to trying man coverage once it was obvious that their zone was getting picked apart under the middle. You have to try to stop the bleeding. However, I am personally happy with the results.

I said almost the same thing. When they did blitz they played a soft zone.

If they felt out-athleted and out-matched they should have made some attempt to take the air out of the ball. The Ends kept speed rushing the tackles so there had to be some huge holes between the tackles. If the other team is fast and you don't think you can stop them then you have to keep their offense off the field.