BluegrassPreps.com Mr. Football Watchlist (11/28)

DevilMayCare

Egan Leads The Charge As BEast Drops A Double Nickel

The Chargers said goodbye to the natural grass of Mt. Washington in hopes of winning two more games on turf in Lexington. 

Every team began this season with the dream of finishing it on the turf at Kroger Field. Bullitt East will do just that after defeating Bryan Station on its artificial surface a few miles from its ultimate destination. Think of it as a dress rehearsal.

The Chargers and Defenders engaged each other in one of the semifinal round's best games, a seesaw affair in which neither team found much breathing room until the final minute. 

Bullitt East unleashed season highs for yards and points to scoff at the home team's nickname. It was very much a collaborative effort, but as the quarterback, Travis Egan serves as the maestro of the offensive symphony. And he conducted a harmonious masterpiece against the Defenders in the 55-41 win. He alternated throwing daggers with tough running, finishing the night with 321 total yards and five touchdowns (four passing). 

Egan is closing in on a fairytale ending, with district nemesis Male standing between him, a state championship, and possibly the highest individual award in the state.

Bryant Sticks A Pitchfork In The Devils With Fourth Quarter Sprint

If anyone needs to finish the season with a flurry, it's Ty Bryant. The Douglass star has been at a statistical disadvantage all season, but his production is trending up sharply at an opportune time.

He followed up a career best rushing performance against Woodford County with a near identical outing against Owensboro. And there was no stat padding involved, as the Broncos needed Bryant to ignite a spark to overcome opposition that was less than cooperative in their pursuit of the program's first championship.

The Red Devils defense came to play, making life difficult for FD's stable of explosive playmakers. With the Broncos clinging to a five point lead midway through the fourth quarter, Bryant struck like a bolt of lightning piercing a cloudy sky.

He ran right at the heart of Owensboro's defense, clearing the traffic at the line of scrimmage and making a subtle change of direction to cross up Kenyata Carbon, who was playing center field. His acceleration and top end speed took care of the rest, covering 51 yards in a flash, giving Douglass a two score cushion and setting the final score. 

The run put him over a hundred yards for the second consecutive week after having never previously reached the mark in his career. 

For his part, Carbon ran hard in his limited touches, ending his Owensboro career with 68 yards on eleven carries. There was simply no room for him to spring one, as FD's defense has the speed to shroud your running game in darkness.

Birchfield Leaves The Thoroughbreds In A Fog

Newport Central Catholic descended upon Pikeville, bent on turning 1A upside down. Instead, the Thoroughbreds found themselves bent in half as the Panthers rode their own prized racehorse to a demolition of a top 1A contender, their eleventh win in a row and ninth consecutive via running clock. 

Pikeville's offensive line consumed NewCath's defensive front like a maroon monsoon, paving the way for Blake Birchfield's 168 yards and three touchdowns. He added another score and 42 more yards through the air, bringing his nightly haul to 210 yards and four trips to the endzone.

Things only got worse for the 'Breds as the misty mountains cascaded over Hillard Howard Field. You can't tackle what you can't see. Birchfield added his fourth and final score of the night under cover of fog to trigger a running clock. 

Odds And Ends

- The improbable ending between Male and Ballard overshadowed any individual performance, but the Dawgs got another bullish outing from Daniel Swinney against one of the top defenses in the state. His one cut and go, finish with authority style has been effective against the Bruins. He logged a season high 28 carries for 133 yards and a touchdown, making his second 100+ yard game against Ballard this year. And that improbable finish has afforded him one more week to impress voters on the biggest stage when all appeared lost.

- As Boyle County closes in on another state championship, Tommy Ziesmer comes back into focus. He's putting together a complete body of work, excelling on both sides of the ball. Against Central, he recorded nine tackles, with three in the backfield, including a couple of sacks. He's been helping shore up the offensive line for several weeks now, and the Rebels' running game has picked up. Three hundred yards rushing helped pave the way for the semifinal win over the Jackets.

Players Highlighted This Week

Travis Egan (QB, Bullitt East)

Season to date: 194/295 for 2,649 yards and 31 touchdowns with 5 interceptions | 901 rushing yards and 17 touchdowns | 1 defensive interception

Highlights: vs. Bryan Station

Ty Bryant (ATH, Frederick Douglass)

Season to date: 55 carries for 456 yards and 11 touchdowns | 3 kick return touchdowns | 20 tackles | 3 TFL | 1 interception 

Kenyata Carbon (RB/DB, Owensboro)

Season to date: 170 carries for 1,488 yards and 24 touchdowns | 201 receiving yards and 1 touchdown | 2 interceptions

Blake Birchfield (RB, Pikeville)

Season to date: 195 carries for 1,795 yards and 32 touchdowns | 2 receiving touchdowns | 1 interception

Highlights: vs. NewCath

Daniel Swinney (RB, Male)

Season to date: 173 rushes for 1,099 yards and 10 touchdowns

Highlights: vs. Ballard

Tommy Ziesmer (Edge/OL, Boyle County)

Season to date: 78 tackles | 19 tackles for loss | 9 sacks | 3 forced fumbles

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As we move toward championship weekend, I think we have a three horse race - Egan, Bryant, and Birchfield, in no particular order - with Swinney having the slimmest of outside shots.

- Egan has the numbers and will probably have more eyes on him than any single player this week as he pursues the big school crown. If he has a big game and delivers a championship, he would get my vote if I had one.

- What Bryant lacks in numbers, he makes up for with a high profile as a UK commit and Paul Hornung award winner. As the competition has ramped up, Douglass has given a little more slack to the leash, allowing its brightest star to shine.

- Pikeville is poised to win a second consecutive championship behind Birchfield's legs. He gashed Raceland last season for 192 yards and three scores. As we saw last year, legendary performances from Pike County running backs leave an impression on voters.

Purely from the perspective of an observer with no dog in this fight, I love how wide open the race feels. I'd like to think no voters have already made up their minds. There's still so much at stake this week with championships to be decided. Throw Mr. Football on the pile, too.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DevilMayCare said:

As we move toward championship weekend, I think we have a three horse race - Egan, Bryant, and Birchfield, in no particular order - with Swinney having the slimmest of outside shots.

- Egan has the numbers and will probably have more eyes on him than any single player this week as he pursues the big school crown. If he has a big game and delivers a championship, he would get my vote if I had one.

- What Bryant lacks in numbers, he makes up for with a high profile as a UK commit and Paul Hornung award winner. As the competition has ramped up, Douglass has given a little more slack to the leash, allowing its brightest star to shine.

- Pikeville is poised to win a second consecutive championship behind Birchfield's legs. He gashed Raceland last season for 192 yards and three scores. As we saw last year, legendary performances from Pike County running backs leave an impression on voters.

Purely from the perspective of an observer with no dog in this fight, I love how wide open the race feels. I'd like to think no voters have already made up their minds. There's still so much at stake this week with championships to be decided. Throw Mr. Football on the pile, too.

How often does Mr. Football come from a team in the state finals?

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

How often does Mr. Football come from a team in the state finals?

6 minutes ago, BEChargers said:

I think more than not but honestly don't know.  I know both of Boyle's Mr. Football winners were on State title teams. 

Of the 37 winners in the award's history, 24 played in the state finals of their class. Fourteen won a state championship. Those fourteen are marked by an asterisk.

1987 - Kurt Barber, Paducah Tilghman

1988 - Jeff Brohm, Trinity*

1990 - Damon Hood, Warren Central

1992 - Billy Jack Haskins, Paducah Tilghman

1993 - Jeremy Simpson, Lincoln County

1994 - Shaun Alexander, Boone County

1996 - Derek Homer, Fort Knox

1997 - Dennis Johnson, Harrodsburg

1998 - Jared Lorenzen, Highlands*

1999 - Travis Atwell, Hancock County

2000 - Montrell Jones, Male*

2001 - Jeff Duggins, Boyle County*

2002 - Michael Bush, Male

2003 - Brian Brohm, Trinity*

2007 - Corey Robinson, Lone Oak

2009 - Antonio Andrews, Fort Campbell*

2010 - Lamar Dawson, Boyle County*

2011 - Patrick Towles, Highlands*

2012 - James Quick, Trinity*

2013 - Nicarius Fant, Bowling Green*

2016 - Jamale Carothers, Bowling Green*

2017 - D'mauriae VanCleave, Danville*

2020 - Cam Hergott, Beechwood*

2021 - Isaac Dixon, Belfry*

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DevilMayCare said:

I am biased and freely admit it.  I don't think Egan HAS to win if he has a big game.  But if he has a big game and BE were to pull out the victory I really think it's his. 

• Like 2

Egan's stats are crazy good. As the season has progressed, Travis has gotten better and better. And BE has gotten better each and every week. If he plays relaxed as does what he can do, then he has the best chance to win the Mr. Football award. Almost everyone has said that we could not advance in the playoffs from week to week. In other words, a huge majority still do not believe in our kids. That is great. East will do what they have been doing all season behind the leadership of Travis Egan. And by the way, he can put a serious lick on someone when he is asked to play middle linebacker. Can't wait until Saturday to see this game. Travis + Chargers - WE BELIEVE!!!

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 7:23 PM, DevilMayCare said:

Of the 37 winners in the award's history, 24 played in the state finals of their class. Fourteen won a state championship. Those fourteen are marked by an asterisk.

1987 - Kurt Barber, Paducah Tilghman

1988 - Jeff Brohm, Trinity*

1990 - Damon Hood, Warren Central

1992 - Billy Jack Haskins, Paducah Tilghman

1993 - Jeremy Simpson, Lincoln County

1994 - Shaun Alexander, Boone County

1996 - Derek Homer, Fort Knox

1997 - Dennis Johnson, Harrodsburg

1998 - Jared Lorenzen, Highlands*

1999 - Travis Atwell, Hancock County

2000 - Montrell Jones, Male*

2001 - Jeff Duggins, Boyle County*

2002 - Michael Bush, Male

2003 - Brian Brohm, Trinity*

2007 - Corey Robinson, Lone Oak

2009 - Antonio Andrews, Fort Campbell*

2010 - Lamar Dawson, Boyle County*

2011 - Patrick Towles, Highlands*

2012 - James Quick, Trinity*

2013 - Nicarius Fant, Bowling Green*

2016 - Jamale Carothers, Bowling Green*

2017 - D'mauriae VanCleave, Danville*

2020 - Cam Hergott, Beechwood*

2021 - Isaac Dixon, Belfry*

Cough-cough.....Michael Mayer.....cough cough. 😁

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
43 minutes ago, BEChargers said:

Anybody hearing that the AP might not name a Mr. Football this year?

I haven’t heard that, but it’s honestly become ridiculous how long it takes to vote for the award. I believe last year they named Mr. Basketball before they announced Mr. Football. Why is it so difficult to have the AP voters pick a winner shortly after the season is over? Back in the day they would name the winner right at the end of the season. I don’t believe they actually even give the winner an award anymore, they just name a winner. Meanwhile basketball has an entire awards show dedicated to it.