Train Hits Police Car with Handcuffed Woman Inside

Colonels_Wear_Blue

How. Does. This. Happen????

From the article, below:

"The [Colorado Bureau of Investigation] says multiple law enforcement agencies responded to a report of a road rage incident involving a firearm in Fort Lupton on Friday evening. Rios-Gonzalez was the suspect in the incident.

A Platteville police officer stopped Rios-Gonzalez’s car just past a set of railroad tracks and parked the patrol vehicle on the crossing. She was placed in the back of the police vehicle, which was hit by the train as officers were searching her car."

Detained woman seriously hurt when train hits police car | WKYT.com

• Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to Train Hits Police Car with Handcuffed Woman Inside
20 hours ago, TylerDurden said:

They were too busy protecting and serving to be bothered with it.

Well, they were doing their job to a point but then absolutely failed to protect all involved.   You hear the train, you know you're on/near train tracks and you don't remove the person from the vehicle ASAP?  Lord knows there are tons of frivolous lawsuits these days but the woman, even though she allegedly did wrong, should bring a lawsuit because of the LEO's negligence.  I really don't see how she loses , monetarily speaking, unless she never recovers physically.

I live somewhere trains are commonplace. It is mind boggling how many people get hit by trains on an annual basis, whether it is crashing into a vehicle or straight into a pedestrian. Just last week someone got killed up here. About 1,000 people a year are killed by trains and it is pretty common knowledge that if you're an engineer and in the profession long enough, you will eventually take out somebody.

1 hour ago, bugatti said:

I live somewhere trains are commonplace. It is mind boggling how many people get hit by trains on an annual basis, whether it is crashing into a vehicle or straight into a pedestrian. Just last week someone got killed up here. About 1,000 people a year are killed by trains and it is pretty common knowledge that if you're an engineer and in the profession long enough, you will eventually take out somebody.

It's not like a car that can jump a curb and get ya... you know exactly where it's coming from and hear it too. 

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

They will let just about anybody be a cop. Not one person thought they should A.) Not be parked on the tracks or B.) Move the cruiser?

This is a level of stupidity that can’t be allowed in that profession. Inexcusable.

This... I've never been a cop responding to an emergency, but doesn't your natural instinct as a human being not allow you to park on train tracks, ever? I'm extra cautious just driving over them...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChickenWyngz said:

This... I've never been a cop responding to an emergency, but doesn't your natural instinct as a human being not allow you to park on train tracks, ever? I'm extra cautious just driving over them...

Generally speaking during emergency situations there is a lot going on and some things go on "auto pilot" because they are never an issue, until it is...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChickenWyngz said:

It's not like a car that can jump a curb and get ya... you know exactly where it's coming from and hear it too. 

You would be surprised. Granted, a lot of people getting hit have a death wish or under the influence of something, but many have no concept of the speed trains are going and how fast they can come up on you. And shockingly, trains through communities often are subject to "quiet zones" so they don't blow their whistles unless someone/something is in the way and can be "less quiet" than one would think. But in those instances they have the guard rails, lights, etc.

I assume this was a less-traveled at-grade crossing considering there are no guard rails or advance warning bells. But yeah, this is about as dumb as it gets.